Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Littleberry, diagnosis issues (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709)

littleberry 04-10-2009 10:52 PM

Littleberry, diagnosis issues

Hi, thanks to Natalie for letting me join this site. My dog is suspected of being in early stages of Cushings and I was a new member of the caninecushings.net/ which has suddenly gone off line.

I know many people here have also dealt with Cushings dogs so it's good to have a place to go as questions arise. Ten year old Poodle has suspicious blood work and physical signs, thinning hair on body, slight tummy and constant ear inflammation.

She recently went on Thyroid pills as that tested low but I learned Cushings can affect Thyroid levels. Not drinking excessive water or pottying too often yet

She has to retake the 8hr Dex test in a few weeks since the first one she took was lost in the mail. [We're waiting for inflammation from last test to heal before repeating the test]. I have new appreciation for everyone going through these difficult illnesses and I know many of these dogs are older and must leave us eventually but it's such a hard road to travel.

BaileyBear 04-10-2009 11:08 PM

Re: caninecushings.net site is down - nice to be here

Just wanted to welcome you! :D

Strange about the cushings site - I hope it's temporary and is back online soon. I know it's a big lifeline for many. My dog doesn't have cushings (as far as we know), but I'm sure there will be others more familiar with the disease who will chime in.

Welcome again - glad you had another place to post when the site went down. :)

BestBuddy 04-10-2009 11:22 PM

Hi,
I am missing the cushings site too so I hope it will be back online soon. I am so sorry that the stupid vet lost your first sample. My Buddy who I lost this last January, not to cushings but to age, also had thyroid problems but that resolved with the cushings treatment. He had the thinning/bald spots on his trunk and down his legs but didn't have a pot belly. He was drinking and peeing a lot but we also found out he had a UTI. The main reason we started the cushings testing was that his blood glucose (yes he was diabetic too) was all over the place and mostly high after years of having good regulation. Buddy had the LDDS and the HDDS testing done and also ACTH and he never had any injuries. He was always a little down for a day or so after but no swelling or holes in him.:confused:
Jenny

littleberry 04-10-2009 11:30 PM

Thanks BaileyBear, this is a great site.

littleberry 04-10-2009 11:39 PM

Jenny, I'm sorry you lost your Buddy, he was lucky not to have swelling from the repeated blood draws for that all day test. Everyone who's drawn blood from my 17 lb Poodle's neck always has to put the needle in over three times just to find the vessel. I gave her extra liquids before we go in just to plump up her vessels, too!

eyelostit 04-10-2009 11:39 PM

Hi littleberry, love your name :)

Welcome

Don't know about the cushings site, it should be up soon.

littleberry 04-10-2009 11:44 PM

Thanks eyelostit ... you've really got a unique name.

eyelostit 04-10-2009 11:46 PM

I went to the cushings site, I don't remember it looking that way.:confused: When I paste the site in my browser it has a M in front of the address line, maybe Nat or Kathy knows about it.

eyelostit 04-10-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleberry (Post 10304)
Thanks eyelostit ... you've really got a unique name.

LOL thank you. :D

BestBuddy 04-10-2009 11:49 PM

I suppose if there is trouble finding the vein then that would cause problems if they had to repeatedly put a needle in. The good news is that those all days test should only have to be done the once. My Buddy was only 11lbs and I'm sure his neck veins were not great either. I do know all the vets were instructed not to use his front legs to get blood as there were no usable veins. The initial testing really is the hard part and then if you decide to treat once you get the right dosage testing (ACTH) is only done every 3-6 months depending on with route you use.
Jenny