No announcement yet.

Shots...not insulin and diabetic dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots...not insulin and diabetic dogs.

I am curious if all of you still get your dogs rabies, distemper, lepto and other shots on your diabetic dog or if you titer and have them medically exempted.

I personally have never been keen on shots. The only shot I have ever had done for any of my crew...even totally healthy is rabies and that is only because it is state mandated, for everything else I have always titered my dogs. There are so many studies of side effects of the rabies shot in healty dogs that a dog with any type of health issue...well a rabies shot does not bode well for me.

When my diabetic boy Lou was diagnosed with SA he was medically exempted from ever needing another rabies shot so now that he is diabetic it is not something I need to concern myself with but it did make me wonder how the rest of you owners deal with that. And if your dog is still getting rabies shots or any of the other mentioned shots does it affect their insulin intake or bg levels afterwards?

Re: Shots...not insulin and diabetic dogs.

Piper got all of her shots except Rabies (wasn't due yet) at the beginning of this year. I don't think her BG levels changed because of the vaccinations. The vet said that she could be exempted from them soon (I think just due to age), but she did recommend the lepto because of the area we live in. Our other (non-diabetic) dog, Dakota, did not get any vaccinations this year (his 3 year Rabies wasn't due yet either). He was having a problem with low platelet count at the time, and the vet thought it may be something auto-immune. She didn't want to give him anything to further mess with his immune system. She said that he'd probably still titer good for everything anyways, since he's always had yearly vaccinations.

To be honest, until Piper got diabetes and I started reading a lot more about dog health, I never thought to question the yearly vaccination schedule. I will definitely do more research on vaccinations for future dogs.
    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

the year Jenny was diagnosed with diabetes & cushings she was very frail and since she is an inside dog my vet told me to skip her vaccines that year.

She does go to the groomer every 6 weeks or so so I got her the kennel cough vaccine. The vet thought he was helping by using the nose spray vaccine vs. the shot and she got kennel cough from the vaccine. ugh.

Last October the dogs & I took a road trip to Indiana and I got worried about diseases or them getting away from me so I went for it and had all vaccines for Jenny. No issues knock wood. The vet tech then told me that crossing state lines with a dog who has not had a rabies shot is a crime. Jenny was a fugitive, she went to Fargo, ND all the time!

We get this year's shots on Friday.

I think lots of folks titer if their states allow it. Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Milo gets a rabies shot every 3 years because the law says he has to get it. He has been diabetic for a year now and his rabies shot is due next year. I'll ask his vet about getting the shot since I am not keen on them either. Milo has not had a distemper/parvo shot in years and I titer every few years.

We did get a new puppy in June and he got all of his puppy shots. I will get them again next year and then titer after that.

Carol

Comment

Jake and Jazzy get their shots every years. I have not noticed any change in Jake's blood sugar when he gets his. I have thought about doing the titers and might check into it next year when shots are due again.

Jake
          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Luckily in England we don't have any compulsory shots so Eddie doesn't have any.
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I think, at minimum, vets should be explaining to pet owners what the risks of vaccinating an unhealthy dog are. The definition of an 'unhealthy dog' is not defined to clearly state whether a diabetic dog is or is not considered to be healthy. However, if a pet owner is informed, he or she can take the risks into consideration and make an informed decision as to what is best for their pet. Some states give vets the opportunity to exempt a pet from the rabies vaccination if the vet deems the health risk is too great. NY state is one of the states that offers that opportunity for exemption.

I know the day Decker's diabetes was diagnosed his appointment had been scheduled for routine shots. It was only a few days after the appt. had been scheduled, but before the date of the actual appt., that the urination accidents started. And at the time, having had two large dogs, we were uncertain which of the two dogs was having the accidents. Decker was identified to be tested because he'd been drinking a lot. Kinser was never tested.

Not knowing any better, and not having a vet that was willing to disclose any information to provide us with an opportunity to make an informed decision, Decker was not only diagnosed diabetic, he was given a 3-year rabies vaccination (which he could have provided an exemption for in NY State) ALONG with a DHLPP combo vaccination and a lyme vaccination. His vet also failed to disclose how it's not recommended the 3 year rabies be given in conjunction with any combo shots.

The diabetes was diagnosed with one blood sample, which read 330, along with symptoms of excessive drinking and urination. No urinalysis was run nor was any additional blood work. Knowing now what I didn't know then, Decker likely was also suffering from high lipids, pancreatitis and hypothyroidism, in addition to uncontrolled diabetes, when he was vaccinated.

His records don't show where he was given the vaccinations. The reason it's concerning is because his vet shaved a patch of fur in his scruff area - to help us know where to administer his insulin injections. What we don't know, nor will we ever know, was whether or not he was receiving insulin shots in the same location he was given a series of seven vaccinations.

After we discovered all he had going on, and after the folks here helped educate us on vaccination protocol and options, we had determined that he would not be given any additional vaccinations.
              Last edited by momofdecker; 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM.
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I pulled titers on Ali for years before she was diabetic and only did the mandatory 3 year rabies when the states allowed. Then after diabetes we were able to get an exemption letter from her vet and pulled the titer just to appease where we lived. But some places are more strict. I know Barb isn't able to get a letter where she lives in NC.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Abby always received shots, until she became diabetic. Perhaps I became more aware, but I have her titer now. North Carolina is very strict about rabies.... And she did receive her vaccination this past May. However, I think my vet had some second doubts, and did tell me that was Abby's last one. He stated because of age, if she is still around in three years, he would waive it.

I wish I pulled titers all along.

Barb
                  Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Ed receives no vaccinations - In office I handle him- when I can't they handle him - his vet and staff are on board
                    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Just some food for thought. I read this several years back and it gets one to thinking.

http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/a..._big_scam.html
                      The Big Scam: Rabies Vaccination

written by John Fundens, D.V.M.

I would like to give you, the reader, the truth about the so called required vaccinations, particularly rabies. There are two basic forms of law. One is the legal Constitutional and Common law that this country was founded on, and the other is "colorable" law passed by Administrative agencies/bureaucrats who have been given so called authority to pass laws. Black's Law Dictionary 5th Edition defines colorable law as "That which is in appearance only, and not in reality, what purports to be, hence counterfeit, feigned, having the appearance of truth." Yes, I study the law, am a paralegal, and have an extensive law library.
                      So any and all mandatory rabies vaccination programs are colorable law, in that they have been passed and mandated upon the pet owning public by certain vested interest groups. Who are these groups? First and foremost are veterinarians, in general, and veterinarian medical organizations. Second are the local animal control personnel, bureaucrats and politicians. What are their reasons? GREED, POWER AND CONTROL. Both these large powerful interest groups stand to benefit greatly by having rabies mandated by colorable law.
                      Veterinarians receive a large percentage of both their gross income and profit from vaccines given in the office. On average vaccines cost 60 to 95 cents per dose and are charged to the client at $15 to $25 per injection and substantially more in the large cities. Therefore, if veterinarians lobby to have a colorable law passed to give rabies vaccine every year that enhances their financial picture.
                      The veterinary medical societies, by working with other groups and area politicians, are rewarded by increased prestige and professional standing in the community. After all we are protecting you from the dreaded disease rabies, whether it exists or not. Some areas of the country are more enlightened and fortunate to have the rabies vaccine mandated every three years. You can be assured the rise of rabies is never taken into account as to whether the vaccine should be required or not. More on this later. The local government personnel benefit by extending more control over our lives, enriching the public treasury with fees, tags and fines, and giving the appearance that local government is doing something about animal populations, disease and risks to the public. Since rabies vaccines have been mandated, what county or area has seen less dog and cat bites, better animal control, more public awareness and educating of pet owning responsibility, better birth control of unwanted animals, less euthanasia of animals and decreased growth of animal control facilities?
                      These special groups and lobbies will use any argument, realistic or not, to justify their position. They are excellent at using the media to spread the lies and distortions. Examples: We have increased numbers of dogs biting people, pitbulls attacking and killing children are on the increase, more dogs and cats are running loose terrorizing neighborhoods, killing wildlife and other domestic stock, etc...ad nausaem. The only thing rabies vaccination is for is the protection from rabies virus, all other justifiers for the vaccine fall under human control and exist because there are a certain number of humans, connected to animals, who are irresponsible. Rabies is spread by the bite of an infected animal. The number of dog/cat bite cases in the U.S. that expose humans to rabies is as rare as shark attacks. This low incident rate has nothing to do with mandatory vaccination as the number of cases was low before the mandatory requirement.
                      Let me give you an example of Pinellas County, FL where my Affinity Clinic is located. I secured information from Pinellas Animal Control through the Freedom of Information Act. The record of animal control starts in 1964. From 1964 to 1978 there were zero cases of dog rabies in the county. Magically in 1978 rabies vaccine was mandated to be given every year and all dogs tagged and licensed. WHY? Well it seems four veterinarians, with animal control bureaucrats, pushed the county board of supervisors to pass a law mandating rabies vaccination every year. There were three local vets and one professor from the State Veterinary College who were behind this. It was interesting reading their letters pushing this law and the minutes of the county meeting. There was talk of dogs biting people (no actual figures given), dogs running loose, animal overpopulation, rabies on the increase in the U.S. (the increase was in wildlife, not dogs), etc.,etc. Not once was the issue discussed that there was no rabies in the county in dogs. To this date there still has not been one case of dog rabies, including the population of dogs whose owners, GOD BLESS THEM, do not vaccinate for rabies. Let's go further.
                      From 1964 to 1989 there were no cases of rabies in cats in Pinellas County. Magically in 1989 a law was passed mandating rabies vaccination, tags and licenses for all cats. Same tired worn out excuses were used. Since the 1989 law there was one cat with rabies contracted from the bite of a bat. DO YOU READERS REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT I HAVE JUST STATED? This is standard throughout the Country. No allowance is made for dogs/cats who never leave the house or yard, could never be exposed to rabies under any circumstances, or who are so ill, old or at the end of their life cycle that the rabies vaccine would throw them over the edge. No, all dogs and cats are treated the same because we have the bogeyman, rabies, stalking the streets waiting to strike unprotected dogs and cats.
                      Is there rabies in this Country? You bet. Are there areas of this Country that have rabies in their wildlife population and do some dogs/cats become infected? You bet. But let's be realistic. Rabies has been on this earth long before man walked here and will be here long after we are gone. The only way to get rid of rabies is to remove mankind and the upper animals susceptible to the virus. Then maybe the virus will die off. It is a self limiting disease in the wild as it is fatal. So the virus has an extremely hard time spreading far and wide.
                      What is wrong with targeting those areas of the Country that have a problem with rabies using a realistic and specially formulated program that will protect the population at risk? Too logical and the special groups don't make any money. Why not educate the pet owner to the risks and dangers and let them decide whether the immune system damage from rabies vaccination is greater or lesser than contracting the disease. We do have a God given Constitutionally secured right to LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Public health officials always have the right to mandate emergency health care procedures in case the public, in general does not respond properly. But why should every day, month and year be as if an emergency or crisis exists? And why should we have more and more control of our lives taken from us?
                      The vaccines, particularly rabies, are a political and economic scam being forced upon pet owners because they do not know the truth. Rabies, nationwide, is nowhere near the problem the veterinarians, media, politicians and bureaucrats would like you to believe. If you wish more of the truth go to your local city or county government building and look up the codes and statutes concerning vaccines and rabies. Get figures from local animal control for rabies in dogs, cats and wildlife in your area. Then you can start to fight back, take control of your life, and protect your pet from the only dreaded disease that is important--special interest groups pushing their program leading to vaccine induced damaged immune systems. Only you can set yourself free.
                      Current Veterinary Therapy by Kirk, the textbook bible for veterinarians in general, has an article on canine and feline vaccines by two researchers. Near the end of the article is a paragraph called Annual Vaccinations. It states "The practice of annual vaccinations lacks scientific validity or verification. There is no immunological requirement for annual vaccinations. The practice of annual vaccinations should be considered of questionable efficacy unless it is used as a mechanism to provide an annual physical examination or is required by law." Sure, if we can't manipulate you with annual vaccinations let's pass a law to get you into the office. Nice trick!
                      Well reader, it is your choice. I can only hope to stimulate you to look and go further. You don't have to take this suppression. Fight back. The only thing you have to lose is your freedom and you have already lost a great deal of it. I can fight with you but I can't do it alone.
                      Wow! Does he tell it like it is or what! Dr. Fudens can be contacted at the Affinity Holistic Clinic, 1171 Lakeview Road, Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 446-3603.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I joined this web page:

http://tinyurl.com/jvzrp75

It has Dr. Becker who discusses a lot of dog health issues. she has a video on there where she is interviewing Dr. Jean Dodds about tittering for vaccines. It is a pretty complex issue and different for many diseases and vaccines. Dr. Dodds ( the doggy thyroid guru) does a good job explaining it.

You have to join the website to get the video, which is why I did.

Ruby was also exempt from the rabies vaccine.

Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                        X