Welcome Bailey and Tina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Bailey and Tina!

When Bailey was diagnosed in September, the vet recommended Prescription Diet w/d. I quickly realized that the expense of this food would be much higher than I really wanted to pay especially since he is so young and will be on this for the rest of his life. So I set out researching other light/diet dog foods to try to find something with similar nutritional info as the PD w/d. The vet did indicate that low-cal and low-fat were important but probably the most important was the food being high in fiber to keep the dog satisfied between meals. This was the hardest thing to find in other foods. Most of the major brands had similar calorie and fat contents but the fiber was far less. The only food that was similar was Science Diet Adult Light so that is what I have Bailey on now. All of the nutritional info is exactly the same as PD w/d except the fiber which is about 3-4% less but still much higher than any other brand. PD w/d has a max fiber of 20% and SD adult light is 16.5%. Most other foods were between 6-8% at most. He's done well with the SD adult light and the cost is about half of buying the PD w/d from the vet. You can get it at any pet store and with rewards programs and coupons it can bring the price down even more.
    Tina (baileysmom)
    Bailey - 5 yo Schnoodle - diagnosed 9/09
    24 lbs. - Currently on 10 units Vetsulin twice a day and still in the process of getting regulated.

Re: Welcome Bailey and Tina!

Welcome to you both!

Jenny (Buddy) used Science Diet Lite in cans and had good results with it. I believe we have others here who use or have used it in dry.

Please tell us more about your Bailey and we'd all LOVE to see a photo!

Again, welcome!

Kathy

Comment

Re: Diabetic Veterinary Diets: Which Do/Have You Used?

I understand some people add fiber by feeding canned pumpkin (not the pie filling); others, by feeding green beans - there are ways to add fiber! All the same, Kumbi started on Medi-Cal Fibre Formula (vet asked me to do this), and has been on it without paws - I mean, pause - since his diagnosis, 1 September 2006. Kwali (ndd) was on it too, but it's now not suiting her, and she's now on Iams Low Residue, which does seem to suit her.

Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:49:18 (PST)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Hi and Welcome Bailey and Tina !

I use chopped gr. beans or brocolli, I buy the frozen bags and chop it up, if you have a food processor thats even better.

Down the road once you get the hang of all of this and the bg is stable we could work with other foods if the expense is getting a bit high, I've been there.

Dolly & Niki
        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Hi Tina and Bailey,

Just to say welcome, Like Dolly I also use green beans and broccoli.

Most dogs will eat this but not all.

I am in Scotland and I feed Lucy---- Burns High Oats which is high in fibre it is a dry food I do not think you can get it in the US, it is used for diabetic dogs and overweight dogs. Lucy is not overweight she is a Mini Schnauzer.

You will get into a nice routine and the right food it all takes time.

You will get plenty of support here.

Welcome to you both
          Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Tina,

Welcome to you and Bailey!

We would love to hear more about (and see a picture!) of Bailey.

Thanks for the note about SD Lite. Sounds like Bailey is doing well.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
            X