Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jeb passed June 29, 2017... (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4507)

jebsmom 12-13-2012 11:21 AM

Jeb passed June 29, 2017...

Ok, lets see if I can do this.

Im here to thank you for this forum. My name is Glennys and my dog is Jeb. Hes a collie mix who was diagnosed in early June. He developed ketoacidosis and was at the emergency vet intensive care for two days at $1000.00 a day. My husband started talking about putting him down because we couldnt afford the expense. So I took him home against medical advice, cared for him myself, and we both managed somehow to survive. Then in September, we drove our rv to Texas to help our son move. Jeb experienced major changes in routine, temperature, humidity, and elevation. The night we arrived, he had a seizure. I knew enough to put pancake syrup on his gums and by the time we found an emergency vet there, his bg was 82. The wonderful vet suggested I learn to test him myself and referred me to jjefferjos even more wonderful vet, who referred me to Jj, who referred me to this forum, and Ive been reading it compulsively ever since.

Jj, I want to say that I dont think Jeb would be alive today if it hadnt been for you and your incredible wisdom. You walked me through a difficult time with intelligence, kindness, and patience. My motto, thanks to you, is low and slow, go jeb go, and I say it to him every day. I dont have words to express my gratitude to you.

So many people here are helping me. Jim Maceri and jesse girl, thank you for showing me how to manage Jebs walks. Theyre the high point of his day. CraigM, thank you for all your information about testing. I give Jeb a frozen green bean each time I test him now. Momofdecker, thank you for your example of devotion to your dogs. Youre an inspiration to me. To so many other people, to Natalie, to Patty, to all of you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ill write again in a couple days with more information about Jeb and where we are now. Today Im just grateful to be a part of this amazing group and I just want to tell you all, Thank you.

CraigM 12-13-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Jeb

Welcome to you and Jeb!
I think Jeb is our first Collie! We would love to hear more about him: diet, type of insulin, any hints you've come with. Of course, a photo of the pup would be great!

Craig & Annie

jjefferjo 12-13-2012 01:40 PM

Welcome glad to see you here and to know that Jeb is doing just fine.
Go Jeb Go!
Jj and Ed

momofdecker 12-13-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebsmom (Post 94988)
My motto is “low and slow, go jeb go,” and I say it to him every day.

What a great motto! A big official welcome to you and Jeb, and special thanks to Jj for pointing you in this direction! Sounds like all is going well. Happy to have you aboard! Holli

Abby's Mom 12-13-2012 02:06 PM

Big Welcome to you and Jeb... and so glad that Jj pointed you over here. It is a wonderful forum, and I personally think that there is no place that offers this type of support ANYWHERE!!

Barb

Patty 12-13-2012 02:08 PM

What a wonderful post! Sending you an 'official welcome' as well. Glad to have you here! :)

We think Jj and Ed are a pretty special duo as well ;)

BogiesMom 12-13-2012 03:08 PM

Welcome to you and Jeb ;)

sophia 12-13-2012 07:13 PM

Welcome to you and Jeb. This forum and Instagram (other dog buddies) are 2 of the kindest places online.

Rubytuesday 12-13-2012 08:54 PM

Yes, it does feel wonderful to have all the folks here to lean on for their collective wisdom.

Glad to welcome you and Jeb to the crowd.

Tara

jebsmom 12-14-2012 04:40 PM

Thank you so much for the welcome. I appreciate you all.

Jeb is a collie mix. I think hes beautiful. Hes about 7 years old (hes a rescue dog and weve had him for 6 years). He weighs 52 lbs, down from about 70 before he got sick.

I think were getting close to regulation. Im currently giving him 9.5 u am and 9.0 pm with his food. Im feeding him WD, but now that Ive joined the forum, Id like to experiment some with food and snacks. Ill need help, I know, and Im not ready quite yet. He was at 11u when he had the seizure in Texas. The vet cut him back to 5 and weve moved up in half steps since then. His numbers are mostly in the 200s now, with some 300s and some 100s, but sometimes he suddenly goes below 100 in the evening for no clear reason. And sometimes his morning fasting is over 400. So I watch him really closely and my husband asks me all the time, Are you testing that poor dog again? Im using the ReliOn Prime, with AlphaTrak 2 as backup when I see a scary number. Hes been too high for so long now that when I see a good number, I get scared.

But overall, I think hes doing well. Hes happy, he loves his walks and his food, and when I get out the testing materials, he walks right over to me and lies down. I feel lucky.