Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Does Insulin Last Opened and Refrigerated

Hi Folks,

How long does Humulin N or NPH last opened in the fridge?
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Re: How Long Does Insulin Last Opened and Refrigerated

Hi Peggy,
    The technical answer you'd get from the company is 28-30 days I believe. But I think Eileen also quoted 100 sticks of the syringe into the vial which can last into the next month (Eileen correct me if I'm wrong).
    Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Annie has been using a vial of NPH for about 6 weeks. She started on 1st of February, and then opened new vials on 15 March and 1 May. Next vial will be 15 June. Haven't seen any difference.

Craig & Annie
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks all.
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Patty, Craig and Peggy...

There was recently a discussion between moderators on another forum on the length of time an opened vial of NPH can be used.
          In the past it has been published that it is as you (Patty) stated, 28-30 days although it appears to have recently been changed now to 42 days as you can see by this link to the product insert of Novo Nordisk's Novolin N.

http://www.novonordiskcare.com/downl...age-insert.pdf

From what I was told by another it has been this in European Countries but with the States indicating only the 30 day limit.

I know that I have gotten up to 45 days out of a vial with Mildred but since a little over a year ago when I went to using both Humalog and NPH I will now replace it at 30 days because I do not want any problems (weakness).

With her Humalog I am getting up to 60 days out of a vial even with the indications being to replace at 30. Because of the expense of a vial of Humalog ($110.00) I choose to stretch this instead of her NPH.

Eileen/Mil

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Peggy,
            I spoke with a pharmacist at the FDA a few months ago about this very question. According to her, Humulin-N when opened (whether refrigerated or kept at room temperature and out of direct light) should be discarded after 28 days. On the other hand, Relion Novolin-N opened and kept either refrigerated or at room temperature will last 42 days.
            Kevin
            Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

hmmm, interesting Kevin.

Although if you look at the Novo Nordisk link it would mean all Novolin N, not just ReliOn which is labeled as such for the Walmart and Sams Club Pharmacies.

Eileen/Mil

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Thanks Eileen. I don't doubt that is true, I was just asking the pharmacist at the FDA specifically about Relion Novolin-N and Humulin-N. I didn't ask about any other insulins, since I wasn't using them. I believe you are correct about all Novolin-N insulins. I just didn't want to extrapolate on my conversation with the FDA since I had limited it to the two insulins I mentioned in my post!
                Kevin
                Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

My vet has always suggested five weeks - or six weeks - for Novolin-NPH. Refrigerated. Stuck 100 times (hey, 50 days!)

She DID say, you can try six weeks, but then check the BGs during that sixth week! Well, haha! Now I'm checking daily, so maybe I could extend to six weeks safely.

I expect Humulin-NPH would be similar.

Sun, 9 May 2010 17:29:06 (PDT)
                  http://www.coherentdog.org/
                  CarolW

Comment

I think the number of uses has a lot to do with it. After all, the only difference between "opened" insulin and "unopened insulin" is that little cap over the stopper. Yes the stopper is more porous but if the bottle is sitting in the fridge unused I suspect it has quite a long shelf-life in the refrigerator. We used to keep backup bottles for months at a time.

But every time you draw from it, you not only inject air and potentially contaminants into the bottle but may slightly change the mix of ultralente and semilente insulin. So the more it's used, to me, the more likely you need to shortcut the life of the bottle.

Natalie

Comment

I tend to agree with you Natalie.

The more times it is mixed and insulin withdrawn the more chances it has for the balance in the mixture to be changed.

I think this is one of the reasons why I am able to get up to 60 days with her Humalog, being a clear insulin with no mixing required.

Comment

I looked closely & there is nothing on the bottle, box or insert about how long to use the insulin once opened (Relion brand NPH), just says not to use it past its experation date.

I have to admit to not being very good about checking BGs so can't say for sure it theis was OK, but I used the last bottle for about 6 weeks.
                        --Sonya
                        www.cornspot.com

Comment

T am a diabetic and have been on various insulins for 17 years. My endocrinologist advises that refrigerated and unopened insulin is good until expiration. Once opened it should be good for at least 30 days weather refrigerated or stored at room temperature. He also advised that I should not refrigerate the vial once it is opened because cold insulin when shaken is more prone to develop air bubbles which can reduce its effectiveness. However, if your dog does not use the whole vial within thirty days, I would keep it refrigerated if you want to stretch its use beyond 30 days. However, before using cold insulin, you should rotate the vial between your hands for a few minutes to warm it up before filling the syringe.
                          Last edited by Rudy; 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM.
                          Don/Rudy - 12 year old Shih Tzu, 22 lbs Diag 4/28/10, 7u NPH x 2, 2.5 units of Lantis x 2, Cushings DX 8/10

Comment

Working...
                          X