Wylie, miniload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wylie, miniload

Kathy - I have used Google Books to see snippets of books, but I haven't used it in several days. I just checked again, I'm still getting the error.

Scott - I don't know if there's something in my system. I don't need any information right now - I was just concerned if new people had the same problem. RE: photo - 'bliss personified' sure does fit.

Leslie - I never used the internet for chatting until "Chunky Boy" was diagnosed with Cushings. Thanks for spelling this out for me: ROFL (rolling on floor laughing) - didn't know that one!

GOOD NEWS! Just got Wylie's Stim results from Saturday - pre- 2.4, post 3.6. Confused, but happy. Will post further details some other time - I want our site back!

-Susy

Re: Internet Archives

Those are good numbers, Susy! Remind me, is Wylie on Trilo or Lyso?

Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
    and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Leslie,

He's on Lyso. Ended up doing a weird mini-load, that seems to have worked. But still questioning whether previous high results may have been from topical steroids used for his zinc-deficiency scabs. I think I used a very small amount of the topical steroids since the high stim, but I got another tube of it and applied some after his stim on Saturday for the latest scabs. I just don't know what else I can use that works!

-Susy

Comment

Thanks, Susy,

I'm sure you and your vet have discussed a non-steroidal topical med for him so I won't even suggest that. Is he able to absorb zinc through the digestive process? If so, you might try adding some zinc to his diet.

Squirt is not zinc deficient but I do add it to some of her menus, as they are a bit short. I use Natural Factors brand, 50mg, for a weeks worth of food. (She weighs right at 14lbs.) I just crush it up with my mortar and pestle and stir into the cooled food. This brand came from iHerb, I believe. (This weekend I did a complete system recovery and for some reason never thought about my list of bookmarks! )

Of course, talk with your vet before trying this but it is a thought I had.

You have done such a great job with your boy! And you have learned so much since joining us.

Hugs,
        Leslie and the girls

Comment

Re: Wylie, miniload

Hey, you two moved from a discussion about accessing files to Wylie's treatment so I started a thread.

Ya'all know the drill.

Scott

Comment

Hey Susy;
            glad to hear the miniload went well, how did you do it? how long did it take? Those numbers are excellent, at least now you know you are there and can get on with the maint instead of waiting another month. I am not really sure how much of the topical steroid is absorbed into the system. I would think that if you bathed your dog in it, it may effect it but I would wonder just how much it would really increase the systemic cortisol.
            Very glad to hear it went well, I hope it went well
            Hugs from me and mine
            Sharon

Comment

yes, sir

You didn't bring that hammer over her did you?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
                yes, sir

Depends on Louise and her blender

Comment

Leslie,

I like my current vets, but I don’t think they are that familiar with the zinc deficiency thing. I’ve tried other things for the scabs that show up, but nothing seems to work like the Animax. I started using Animax from the suggestion of the former vet (pre-cushing’s dx) and have been supplementing with Zinc gluconate ever since. I think the recent bad flare-up happened because I had started to give him yogurt, as suggested by his IMS because of the gall bladder attack. Yogurt has a lot of calcium & calcium competes with zinc. I stopped the yogurt and am now giving him a probiotic instead. I wanted to avoid giving him the Animax, but the scabs got so bad, I felt I have to do it for a more immediate relief. During that time, I had researched different zincs. It seemed that Zinc Methionine was more absorbable than Zn Gluconate, so I am trying that, but any Zinc will take a while to have an affect on these scabs. Because the Zn Methionine is more absorbable, I am giving him less (60 to 90mg/day) than I did for the Zn gluconate (200mg/day). I don’t want to give him too much, because it can be toxic – I feel like its similar to figuring out the right Lyso maintenance dose - !

What type of zinc are you using?

Scott – Leslie & I are just keeping you on your toes.

-Susy

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Again, thank you so much for the information you shared before Wylie’s mini-load. I started him off doing the 500mg BID. About 3-4 hours after his first dose (am Sun), he nibbled on a little grass and that usually means an upset tummy. I knew he couldn’t be loaded on this first dose, so I just watched him carefully, examining his poops, looking for signs of discomfort – none. I gave him the second dose (pm Sun) and he seemed fine. The next day, after the third dose (am Mon), again he nibbled on grass around lunchtime. Skipped the pm Mon dose. Then thought maybe there wasn’t enough of a food buffer in the mornings (he gets lots of snacks in the evening after dinner). Next day, gave him 250 mg (am Tues), no grass nibbling, and gave 500mg (pm Tues). Wed, gave 250mg in the am, he took one nibble on grass around luchtime, then figured maybe because he his now on 3-4 small meals a day (instead of the 2 meals per day during the initial loading), maybe he just can’t tolerate 500mg for any of these small meals. So I gave him 250mg pm Wed and 250mg am Thurs and then just stopped. That totaled 3000mg over 5 days (initial load was 4250 over 3 days). Other than the grass nibbling, there were no signs of overload. I didn’t take him in for a stim after the loading – he had one 3 weeks previous & I wanted him to have a little more time. I gave him 250mg BID on Sun, Tues & Thurs, before the Saturday Stim.

I have to look back at my notes to see how much Animax I used – I definitely used a lot less before this last stim. The steroid in Animax is supposedly very powerful. I used quite a bit of it for the big flare-up, but hopefully now I can catch the scabs earlier and can zap them with a little bit of Animax before they get worse.

-Susy

Comment

Hi Susy,

This is zinc citrate I am using. I know so little about the differences between citrate, gluconate and so on. Her nutritionist recommended this so that is what I use. I trust her to know as she is the one with the degrees and initials after her name...tho we all know how little that can really mean sometimes. So far, she has done wonders for Squirt, tho.

It may be that you will just have to walk a very fine line between the Cushing's and using the Animax, if that is what helps him most. Kinda like a high-wire artist in a circus!

Hugs,
                      Leslie and the girls

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post

Originally posted by gpgscott View Post
                        Depends on Louise and her blender
                        Ohhhhhhh, those are fightin' words, Mr. Hammer!!!!

Sorry for the hijack, Susy! Glad to see you over here and congratulations on Wylie's great numbers.

Louise
                        Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

You can hijack my thread...just tell everyone that this thread is where all the action is!
                          -Susy

Comment

And fire that blender up, my dear friend!!! We'll just hide that dang hammer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
                              yes, sir

Don't speak too loudly!

Comment

Working...
                              X