Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all this.

Hi All,
    Just wanted come on and say thank you for this forum and site. My dog was just diagnosed last week and I am totally clueless. Reading here has helped a lot, I have many questions. The vet has not been much help with what, how, and why.
    I,m Carol and my dog is Bud, he's a chihuahua mix i rescued 6 years ago. It's so unfair he has to go through this now. I hope you can help me with some of the questions I have. Again thank you so much for creating this place!

Re: New to all this.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What is Bud’s weight, type of insulin, dose and food?

Our diabetic dogs can live long and healthy lives. If you haven’t already done so, this link is an excellent place to start... http://www.k9diabetes.com/
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

While this forum can be a great help, it's still important to have a caring and somewhat experienced vet, especially in the beginning. There may be things crop up that you'll want proper analysis and testing, etc., plus some training on the basics.
      If your vet doesn't seem knowledgeable or interested, shop around. I've seen some vets advice be haphazard, questionable and almost dangerous.

There are some standard things you'll want to know and do to regulate your dog. It comes down to consistent food and insulin dose, and monitoring/checking blood sugar at home. Be methodical and PATIENT. It takes time to regulate and find the right balance for your dog.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you for your replies, Bud is 14.9 pounds he's on 2 units of vetsulin twice a day. I'm feeding him 1/3 cup taste of the wild dry with 2 table spoons of the w/d prescription food the vet gave him.
        I bought a Relion prime voice monitor at Walmart got it home and realized there is no control solution with it and it has to be ordered from the company.
        The vet has him coming in Tuesday for the day to do a curve, unless i feel he needs to go in before then. Without testing its so hard to tell whats going on with him. I'm trying to get it done, now we have to wait for control solution.

In your opinion, should i bring him in and have him tested by them tomorrow just to see where hes at? And is there a cheap monitor i can use myself while waiting for the control solution?

Comment

Below is the monitor I use and I think it’s the best (or most accurate) one for dogs. The down side is that the strips are pricey. But I do all my own testing and curves at home. The kit comes with everything you need to get started, but more strips are about $45 for a pack of 50. Testing at home can be better than at the vet because it’s their natural environment and you get a truer picture. Stress or activity can raise or lower a dog’s BG depending on the dog so sometimes the numbers you get at the vet aren’t numbers you would see at home.

https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Blo...ing+system+kit

Comment

You might use the meter anyway, without the control solution. I have usually found that new meters are within correct range.
            I'm diabetic and have had numerous new meters.
            Also, take the meter with you to the vet and test with it there to see if it gives a similar reading to the vet's meter.
            Not testing until Tuesday is probably safe as 2 units is a low dose for a 15 lb. dog.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I think I will try testing him with the one I have in the morning. I was looking at the alpha trak and would like to get that down the road for doing curves. That way the strips will last me a little longer, so expensive.
              Yes I will bring it when we go to vet thank you.

The hard part will be getting him to cooperate while I get the blood sample. He hates the shot and knows already that after he eats its shot time, so its gotten a little harder instead of easier to give it. Thank you for the advice I truly appreciate it, this is all a little overwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by Budster View Post
                I bought a Relion prime voice monitor at Walmart got it home and realized there is no control solution with it and it has to be ordered from the company...
                Without testing its so hard to tell whats going on with him. I'm trying to get it done, now we have to wait for control solution.
                These ReliOn meters are very accurate. The test solution only serves to validate the test strips, not the meter. They ship it as soon as you call them. Don't sweat that part, just start using the meter.

Important to realize home testing is, IMHO, only to know your dog is with range of being stabilized. That means he/she is between 100 - 250 over a 24 period. If you get too caught up in watching the numbers you will do both you and your dog more harm than good.
                Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

I feel that's all I can do right now, make sure he's in range. Until I learn more about this.
                  I tried to test this am and couldn't get it, he's very nervous and moves around to much. I had to poke him twice and still didn't get enough blood, may be the relion lancing device I got. He also tries to nip when any one touches his ears or feet, hes always been sensitive about them.
                  I guess I'm going to have to muzzle him for a while and hope he gets used to it. This whole thing just sucks, poking him all the time he is not happy.

Comment

Do chihuahuas have an elbow callus? That’s where I test my dog Lucy. She doesn’t like her ears or feet messed with either, but give me no problems lancing on her elbow. It’s just a small spot with sparse hair but not hardened like a typical callus.

Comment

I tried to test this am and couldn't get it, he's very nervous and moves around to much. I had to poke him twice and still didn't get enough blood, may be the relion lancing device I got.
                      There is tons of information on this site on how to get blood to test. I never bought a lancing device. I just use the last syringe to prick Scooter. Needle is very fine and a quick, shallow jab does the trick. The $9 ReliOn needs the tiniest amount of blood but you need to keep it in contact to let it wick up. I can prick him while asleep and he does not wake up.

I go for any skin warts on his lower back. I also associate the prick with a small treat afterwards. I use Billjack Original Recipe Chicken Liver treats. No sugar, I called them to find out.
                      Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

I'm having such a hard time getting any blood, I think the needle on the lancet is to short. I tried again today on his ear and his back end by the base of his tail still no blood. I can see were it pricked his skin but there is no blood coming. It seems its not getting deep enough but I don't want to hurt him either. He was really good about it today so i quit before he started getting aggravated.
                        I don't see any callus on him any where, maybe I will try it without the lancing pen, just use the lancet. We will try again, I just feel so bad for my Buddy.

Comment

The lancer that comes with some of the meters don't seem to penetrate very well so I use the ReliOn lancer with 26 gauge lancets on Daisy's ear. I just have to make sure her ear is nice and warm.
                          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I'm having such a hard time getting any blood... I can see were it pricked his skin but there is no blood coming.
                            Try squeezing the spot where you prick. The blood should appear quickly and only a very tiny amount will work with the $9 ReliOn meter. Just keep the strip against his skin until the meter reads out. About 3 seconds or so. If you don't, it will give you an error. You will need to prick him again. The blood dries quickly.
                            Last edited by Scooterspal; 05-10-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks all, I'm going to try again this morning I hope this works.

Comment

Working...
                              X