Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newly Diagnosed and Confused (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6916)

stylynjm 07-10-2016 12:12 PM

Re: Newly Diagnosed and Confused

Welcome,
Novolin n is basically the same as humilin n.it is $25.00 at walmart. It is walmarts contract with the company.many of us ha e switched back and forth as walmart changes compa ies,with no real difference. Also,needles are cheaper there

Rover 07-10-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabelle (Post 155624)
Izzy (28 pound Scottish Terrier) was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 weeks ago. She started with 5 units, was tested at the vets a week later and her levels had increased so went to 6 units and a week later was tested again and they were still up so she is now at 7 units. She is on another round of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. She is drinking less than 3 weeks ago and she is less lethargic, although she is still quiet. She is eating prescription low fat dog food for her high triglycerides and treats are limited to veggies and occasional dried lamb lung. I am completely overwhelmed and worried.

Such a good start to treat you dog! Hope she will getting better soon.

Isabelle 07-16-2016 06:40 AM

Thank you for all of your advice and I am happy to report that after 4 weeks of increasingly higher doses in insulin, Izzy's glucose count is finally on a downward trend. It is still in the mid 400's , but her activity level is up and the drinking and peeing are back to normal. Finally some good news

jesse girl 07-16-2016 07:05 AM

thats good news

hope for continued progress

Willis 07-17-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabelle (Post 155804)
Thank you for all of your advice and I am happy to report that after 4 weeks of increasingly higher doses in insulin, Izzy's glucose count is finally on a downward trend. It is still in the mid 400's , but her activity level is up and the drinking and peeing are back to normal. Finally some good news

Hello Isabelle.

You're certainly in the right place for valuable support and information. These folks are amazingly helpful.

I was in your exact place 6 weeks ago. Feeling lost and panicking was a major part of my day. Actually still plays a big part in my world. My 35 lb. Corgi was diagnosed 6 weeks ago and I've been on the same path your currently on.

I'm so happy that Izzy's numbers are stabilizing. I'm still trying to get my boy into the 300 range. Continues in low to mid 4's.

Scooby's on 7 units of Novolin and has been for 3 weeks. I'm thinking I may look into a different food. If I may ask what food are you using?

The original vet sold me Royal Canin Diabetic. He then ran out of stock.
I joined here and saw many folks using non prescription foods. I'm thinking I should change. He's been on Blue Buffalo Healthy weight.

His thirst has improved but he's still pretty lethargic.

As I mentioned the folks here are awesome and will help. They "held my hand". I needed it for sure.

Take care and best of luck.
Willis

Isabelle 07-20-2016 05:31 AM

Willis:

Izzy is eating Royal Canin prescription, gastrointestinal, I believe. She needs a low fat dog food since her triglycerides were extremely high and the fat content of the non prescription healthy weight, low fat dog foods was too high for her.

We got the triglycerides under control and now this! Izzy's thirst has improved as well and she is still lethargic too.

Isabelle 07-23-2016 06:59 AM

Again, I need some reassurance for Izzy. For the second week in a row her BG has dropped and is in the low 400's, her appetite is good and she has not lost any more weight. Her insulin was increased another unit so she is now at 9 units of Humulin N 2 times a day. Next week she will go to the vet for her first curve. I know that eventually we have to work up the courage to test her at home, but for now she goes to the vet to be tested at the same time daily. She is still leaking pee and she is terribly embarrassed when this happens. My husband works at home so he can take her out every few hours during the day. At night, she sleeps on a towel or old quilt and I give her a mini bath before I leave for work. Her energy is still not back to normal and it makes me sad to see her like this.

jesse girl 07-23-2016 07:13 AM

yes it takes time . my jesse took 6 months until she was getting back to her old self so it sounds like izzy is way ahead of that

MomofGus 07-23-2016 09:01 AM

I'm glad her numbers are going down. Hopefully, she'll keep improving each day and the peeing will ease up for you.

stylynjm 07-23-2016 11:24 AM

Fyi, there are doggie diapers if her leaking is a problem;)