Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newly Diagnosed and Confused (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6916)

Isabelle 04-07-2017 05:47 PM

Re: Newly Diagnosed and Confused

After 10 months of slowly increasing units of insulin, too many bladder infections - Isabelle finally had a great curve with levels ranging from a low of 80 to a high of 180 with a good shape. I know not to become complacent, but it is so good to see these numbers and to see her with so much energy.

jesse girl 04-07-2017 06:22 PM

thats very good news

yes complacency can be one of our biggest problems

hope things continue on an uneventful course

MomofGus 04-07-2017 06:42 PM

Such good news! Now, keep up the good work. I'm curious, did you just increase the insulin that you were using or did you switch insulins like you were thinking.

farrwf 04-08-2017 08:18 AM

Love to hear good reports like this. Betting Isabelle is feeling much better too.

Congrats on the great numbers!

Isabelle 04-13-2017 02:46 PM

We just kept slowly increasing her insulin dose - the shape of her curves were always good, but the numbers were always high. They slowly decreased and it took 10 months to achieve the great numbers!

Isabelle 08-12-2017 10:12 AM

I just wanted to post an update on Isabelle - she is great! She was initially diagnosed in June, 2016 and a year ago this weekend, I was trying to stay calm as she would not eat and was extremely lethargic. I visited this site daily and read every post trying to learn what could be wrong with her. We never did find out what was wrong but between good and bad days and slowly increasing her insulin, she turned the corner in March, 2017 when we finally found the correct dose. She has been on 17 units since then and her energy level is great. She has a film developing in one eye, but it seems to have stabilized. I know not to become complacent and am grateful for every wonderful day we have with her. I have learned to be patient (not one of my strengths) and taking care of Izzy is just part of our regular routine now.

Daisydog10 08-12-2017 11:29 AM

That is wonderful news!!!

jesse girl 08-12-2017 11:38 AM

they teach us so much . the hole experience has helped me to grow i think jesse got diabetes on purpose so i could be a better person ha

congrats on the one year milestone . it really took that long with jesse to finally feel we had a routine established day in and day out

Raysaint 08-12-2017 07:21 PM

It's comforting to know that others have taken many months to get to a consistent routine. And I don't mean I hope dogs take a long time to regulate.

I'm 5 months in and so frustrated that I can't get consistent good numbers. I'm feeling I should have had this done before this. It's one step forward, 2 back, too often. But I feel I'm close.
Glad we're all in this together, for the good of the cause.

k9diabetes 08-13-2017 02:10 PM

How wonderful to hear that you and Izzie are doing so well! :)

Natalie