Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lily - My English Setter (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5446)

Charlie's mom 02-06-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Lily - My English Setter - Diabetis and Hypothyroidism

Oh is she pretty!

momofdecker 02-06-2014 06:29 PM

Someone else whose snow comes in feet - so (or snow) much fun - LOL! I swear between delays, snow days, vacation days, half days, etc.. my child has not had a full week of school since some time in October. Our district used their fourth of five snow days yesterday.

Lily looks great - her tail is recovering nicely - and her coat is filling in beautifully! Sounds like all in all she is doing well and that you have a great support system set up for her. Keep up the good work!

amydunn19 02-06-2014 06:50 PM

She is so pretty! Maggie had cataract surgery and it went well but there can be complications so there are no guarantees. Their eyes look really rough after surgery - lots of redness for quite some time and the eye drop regimen is crazy but it is doable.

Judi 02-06-2014 07:31 PM

what a beautiful girl! please keep us posted on how her surgery goes. I know craig has mentioned that the steroid eye drops did affect his Annie's blood sugar so I'm glad you are watching. Judi

Abby's Mom 02-07-2014 02:58 PM

She is absolutely beautiful and so glad that she is doing well. I see that her coat has come in quite nicely. Good luck with the surgery in a few weeks.

Barb

peggy0 02-07-2014 03:03 PM

Re: Lily Update

She is gorgeous. My dog had cataract surgery; no issues; lots and lots of drops! that did raise his BGs. His eyes looked normal the day after with the exception of a bit of squinting that he was doing. The doctors will give you all the watch outs! I'd do it again if presented with the issue. Good luck

Patty 02-08-2014 03:32 PM

Gorgeous coloring! Good luck with surgery and keep us posted. Sounds like you have a collaborative vet which helps so very much!
Patty

MikeMurphy 02-08-2014 04:50 PM

Re: Lily - Update

Lily's eye vet and many on this forum have suggested to keep an eye on her BG levels because of the eye drops that she is getting in preparation for cataract surgery.

Since Lily has been on the eye drops, I have been checking her levels every other day around six hours after her morning insulin shot. This is when her readings are lowest. Up until Friday the levels ranged from 105 to 142. Then on Friday it was 363, so I did a curve today.

The results are about 100 over her normal readings for each time interval.

I have to pick up her thyroid meds at the vet on Monday, so I'll run this by her. My guess is that we may have to increase her insulin by one unit and see what happens.

Mike and Lily

peggy0 02-08-2014 06:55 PM

Re: Lily Update

I had to increase Forbin a few units as well

k9diabetes 02-09-2014 01:28 AM

I absolutely LOVE that photo of her on the couch!! :)