murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murphy

13yr un-spade blind healer diagnosed 3wks ago w/diabetes. Weight @ 23.6lbs. Current wt. @25.8lbs. Looks like dog suffering from EPI but stools are firm. Eats like starving still.4 units insulin 2x day ...any ideas?

Re: murphy

Welcome to you and your pup.

Which insulin are you using? Current insulin dosage? Can you post glucose values? Are you home blood glucose testing, or plan to?

BTW, your posts may be delayed until your membership is approved by the forum owner.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Novolin N
      current dose 4 units each am meal pm meal
      Hills w/d food
      glucose last reading 503
      1wk. earlier 110 each @vet office

Comment

thank you for the warm welcome

Comment

Originally posted by redhealer13 View Post
          Novolin N
          current dose 4 units each am meal pm meal
          Hills w/d food
          glucose last reading 503
          1wk. earlier 110 each @vet office
          4-5 units is frequently a starting dosage for a pup in a 20-25 pound range. Generally, after a week or so the vet would do additional testing and increase the dosage. Unfortunately, we can't normally guess the proper dosage right out of the gate and the process is slow. Really can't rush things because if the increases are too much, that can be much more dangerous than high blood glucose. You might want to view some YouTube videos on home blood testing dogs. It's really not as hard as it sounds.

Strange that your pup (Murphy?) is gaining weight. Uncontrolled diabetics usually loose weight. The starving thing is typical for uncontrolled diabetes. The food enters the mouth, some gets converted to glucose to feed the body, but without the proper amount of insulin the glucose is passed through the urine and doesn't actually feed the body. Basically you could double the food, and without the proper insulin, they would generally still loose weight and be hungry (that's why gaining weight is so strange).

The forum is frequently slow on weekends, folks are doing family things. I'm sure others will check in with you later.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello and welcome!

I just had a couple of things to add to what Craig has already said.

Unspayed females often seem to be more challenging to get regulated due to fluctuating hormone levels. This in itself is another good reason to blood test at home so that you can notice if her insulin needs are changing. I'm not sure if you are already testing like this?

Also I wondered how her current weight compares to her normal weight. Might part of the weight gain be her just regaining weight she lost before diagnosis perhaps?
            Our dog lost a lot of weight just around when he was diagnosed then gradually put it back again once we got him onto insulin. (Having said that, he does also happen to have EPI, and EPI stools are indeed unmistakeable!).

Antonia
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Thanks Craig and Antonia-
              My bad if I came across anxious.
              Murphy normal wt. Should be around 35lbs. We just inherited her after the passing of my wife's sister.
              Honestly,I initially thought she was not going to be with long. Never saw a dog in this bad a shape. In 1wks. time, diagnosed with diabetes. 3 days later she's in heat. Day after that old dog vestibular syndrome (really scary) then urine infection. Wow. Our vet who is awesome put her antibiotic for infection. Med for vestibular syndrome and valium to calm her. On top of trying to figure out the insulin dose. Did I mention Murphy is completely blind.Living with 4 new dogs that can't figure out why she runs into things being in a new home. I will say cow dogs kick butt. I'm sure we'll figure this out. Your comments really help. I will be talking to our Vet about home testing.
              Again thanks very much
              Hans~ Colorado

Comment

Aah, Murphy has a lot more than just diabetes going on. Hormones, stress, other medications and infections can make things much more difficult than "just" diabetes. My worry is that as her other problems get better, the insulin needs may (likely) change. This is beyond my knowledge level, so I'll be reading about no learning along with you.

Craig

Comment

being intact female will be challenging when the dog goes into heat there probably will be a change in blood sugar going higher and when it ends it probably will go lower usually the best thing is to get spayed but at 13 that maybe difficult

definitely if you test blood sugar at home you probably can catch the cycles of going into heat and adjust insulin when necessary

my jesse was very dificult with other challenges but we figured out what works for her and you can to
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Diabetes is strongly affected by the heat cycle in unsprayed female dogs. In fact, a few dogs are diabetic only while they are in heat.

So it's very important to monitor her carefully to make sure she still needs insulin or needs as much insulin once the heat cycle has ended.

From the sound of it, she may be in too rough a place to be spayed right now, but ultimately spaying her would be best. The roller coaster of hormones and resulting changes in blood sugar put an unsprayed female dog at great risk of being overdosed on insulin when not in heat and underdosed and suffering ketones while in heat. It's can be very difficult to manage.

This is one case where testing blood sugar at home is mandatory. You will need to know if things suddenly change.

Natalie

Comment

most def. Many challenges. Knowledge however simple seeks solutions. Sometimes just the fact that perfect strangers care enough to share makes us feel better. Thank you all once again.��
                      Murphy next appt. with vet Tuesday 4:30. If any of this info helps another pet owner...it's all about the Karma. I will keep you posted.

Comment

We have all been where you are right now so we completely understand.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                        X