Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeb passed June 29, 2017...

Ok, let’s see if I can do this.

I’m here to thank you for this forum. My name is Glennys and my dog is Jeb. He’s a collie mix who was diagnosed in early June. He developed ketoacidosis and was at the emergency vet intensive care for two days at $1000.00 a day. My husband started talking about putting him down because we couldn’t afford the expense. So I took him home against medical advice, cared for him myself, and we both managed somehow to survive. Then in September, we drove our rv to Texas to help our son move. Jeb experienced major changes in routine, temperature, humidity, and elevation. The night we arrived, he had a seizure. I knew enough to put pancake syrup on his gums and by the time we found an emergency vet there, his bg was 82. The wonderful vet suggested I learn to test him myself and referred me to jjefferjo’s even more wonderful vet, who referred me to Jj, who referred me to this forum, and I’ve been reading it compulsively ever since.

Jj, I want to say that I don’t think Jeb would be alive today if it hadn’t been for you and your incredible wisdom. You walked me through a difficult time with intelligence, kindness, and patience. My motto, thanks to you, is “low and slow, go jeb go,” and I say it to him every day. I don’t have words to express my gratitude to you.

So many people here are helping me. Jim Maceri and jesse girl, thank you for showing me how to manage Jeb’s walks. They’re the high point of his day. CraigM, thank you for all your information about testing. I give Jeb a frozen green bean each time I test him now. Momofdecker, thank you for your example of devotion to your dogs. You’re an inspiration to me. To so many other people, to Natalie, to Patty, to all of you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I’ll write again in a couple days with more information about Jeb and where we are now. Today I’m just grateful to be a part of this amazing group and I just want to tell you all, “Thank you.”
    Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Re: Jeb

Welcome to you and Jeb!
    I think Jeb is our first Collie! We would love to hear more about him: diet, type of insulin, any hints you've come with. Of course, a photo of the pup would be great!

Craig & Annie
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Welcome glad to see you here and to know that Jeb is doing just fine.
      Go Jeb Go!
      Jj and Ed
      Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Originally posted by jebsmom View Post
        My motto is “low and slow, go jeb go,” and I say it to him every day.
        What a great motto! A big official welcome to you and Jeb, and special thanks to Jj for pointing you in this direction! Sounds like all is going well. Happy to have you aboard! Holli
        Last edited by momofdecker; 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM.
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Big Welcome to you and Jeb... and so glad that Jj pointed you over here. It is a wonderful forum, and I personally think that there is no place that offers this type of support ANYWHERE!!

Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

What a wonderful post! Sending you an 'official welcome' as well. Glad to have you here!

We think Jj and Ed are a pretty special duo as well
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome to you and Jeb
              Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Welcome to you and Jeb. This forum and Instagram (other dog buddies) are 2 of the kindest places online.
                Westie diagnoesd 10/12. Diagnosed 7/12 with Lymes. 4 unit of Humulin in morning. 3 with evening meal. As of now home cooked meals and also Standard Process supplements and Chinese herbs.

Comment

Yes, it does feel wonderful to have all the folks here to lean on for their collective wisdom.

Glad to welcome you and Jeb to the crowd.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Thank you so much for the welcome. I appreciate you all.

Jeb is a collie mix. I think he’s beautiful. He’s about 7 years old (he’s a rescue dog and we’ve had him for 6 years). He weighs 52 lbs, down from about 70 before he got sick.

I think we’re getting close to regulation. I’m currently giving him 9.5 u am and 9.0 pm with his food. I’m feeding him WD, but now that I’ve joined the forum, I’d like to experiment some with food and snacks. I’ll need help, I know, and I’m not ready quite yet. He was at 11u when he had the seizure in Texas. The vet cut him back to 5 and we’ve moved up in half steps since then. His numbers are mostly in the 200’s now, with some 300’s and some 100’s, but sometimes he suddenly goes below 100 in the evening for no clear reason. And sometimes his morning fasting is over 400. So I watch him really closely and my husband asks me all the time, “Are you testing that poor dog again?” I’m using the ReliOn Prime, with AlphaTrak 2 as backup when I see a scary number. He’s been too high for so long now that when I see a good number, I get scared.

But overall, I think he’s doing well. He’s happy, he loves his walks and his food, and when I get out the testing materials, he walks right over to me and lies down. I feel lucky.
                    Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Comment

Nice update.

I know what you mean about getting scared when you first see numbers in the lower 100s! I would panic and give Annie a spoon full of syrup / honey only to see 400+ an hour later! Took me months to learn to intervene with only a drop of honey, followed by a very small "cookie" - frequently still over compensate. Of course every dog is different, and Jeb being a big boy, probably would need more than just a drop of honey.

Good work!
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Thanks, Craig. Jeb gets a teaspoon of honey and a biscuit. I wish there were some way they could just tell us they need a treat. We could give it to them, everyone would be happy, and we wouldn’t have to worry about interventions.

Comment

I'm no longer here full-time, as I was for years, but taking time today, I discovered your WONDERFUL story about how you ended up here on the most magnificent online forum I know about canine diabetes.

NICE GOING! I'm so glad you're with us! I'll try to catch up now and then, and when I do, will be glad to read your news of Jeb.

And a big, fat welcome to you!

Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:56:50 (PST)
                          http://www.coherentdog.org/
                          CarolW

Comment

belated welcome from me too! we also think the world of JJ & Eddie. Some dogs actually go up to their owners when they are low. My Jenny hasn't figured that out yet!
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Another "official" welcome to you and jeb!!! There is nothing that makes us happier on the forum than to read about the success of some of the new members AND those of us who have been here for a while.

Keep us updated there is always so much to learn. After 14 months I still rely on the folks here for support in all kinds of ways.

I love the fact that he comes when testing is needed. Spirit runs to my office as soon as he hears the cap "snap" closed on the test strips. We are truly blessed to have dogs that allow us to test....the whole process is so much easier and less stressful when we know where the numbers are.
                              Last edited by jim maceri; 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM.
                              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X