Atypical Cushings Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atypical Cushings Test

Can someone advise me on how to go about getting the screening for Atypical Cushings? I know the blood has to be sent to U of Tenn? Knoxville?
    I spoke to my vet about this and he agreed to having this test done.

Most of this info. was on the old site which is in limbo now.

My Aussie is going to get an ACTH in about a month and I want to get screened for both atypical and typical cushings...

Her bloodwork came back with high liver enzymes (again) and high cholesterol. Everything else looked good and she continues to have pretty minimal symptoms while taking selegiline. But, the high liver enzymes (over 3000) are troublesome.

I am really wondering if she is atypical....if I get the urine cortisol: creatine test done first, would atypical register on that?

Thanks!

Re: Atypical Cushings Test

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...gy/general.php

You can print this out & give it to your vet. Make sure that they send the samples directly to UTK & not to the lab that does your vet's general labwork. All the regular lab will do is forward UTK, & tack on their handling charges which can substantially increase the price. Turnaround time is about 2 weeks.

Debbie

Comment

Here is the link to UTK http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/en...logy/index.php. Sorry I can't post the link right. Hope this helps.

harley and Lori

Comment

Originally posted by jrepac View Post
        I am really wondering if she is atypical....if I get the urine cortisol: creatine test done first, would atypical register on that?

Thanks!
        I am glad you are going forward with this screen, your name is Jeff, right?

Debbie has provided a good link.

All the UC:CR will tell you about is cortisol not the other five hormones and it is not diagnostic for cortisol just good as a rule out.

Best to you both. Scott

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses!

Jeff & Mandy (the Aussie)

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Here are some more links about Atypical:

Atypical Cushing’s*
            http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...date=&pageID=1

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=132&t=

You are wise to have this done for Mandy! This is a test I think all cush pups should have as part of the initial diagnostics. It could save so much stress on both pup and parent!

How is Mandy doing these days? I was reading some abstracts about Anipryl the other day that said studies had shown it prolong life in some animal, dogs included. But they were from the the 1990's; I wonder if any more studies have been done recently to support those? Interesting anyway.

Hugs,
            Leslie and the girls
            "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
            and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Thanks for the links Leslie...very interesting. I think it is very possible that Mandy has Atypical Cushings. It has been 1 yr since her ACTH test...but several other tests were in-between (ultrasound, thyroid, blood work [multiple], urinalysis, etc.). She was 'high normal' for cortisol on the ACTH test last year. Of the 5 vets who saw her, a few felt she was cushingoid, regardless of the ACTH #.

My regular vet suggests we do the ACTH again, but if she has to go thru it again, I'd prefer to do the full screen from U of TN. I was able to download all the info...it will cost a bit more, but I think it is more thorough. I may do the urine cortisol:creatine test first, to see what it says re: cortisol levels...it is only $40 and a good pre-screen.

Mandy is doing pretty well, all things considered and will turn 12yrs in May. She has been on anipryl/seligiline since September and her symptoms are well controlled/minimal. No UTIs either. She gets the 10mg of anipryl daily along with her other supplements (cranberry, sam-e, milk thistle + a blood glucose vitamin). I had hoped her liver counts would come into line with the milk thistle & sam-e, but no luck on that. At least her blood sugar was AOK (it had been high in Jan and diabetes was a concern, so I started giving her the blood glucose vitamin). I'd like her to lose weight; she is stuck at 25lbs, despite being on low-fat dog food, limited portions and lotsa veggies since january! (LOL! I DO spoil her...nibbles of pizza last nite!)

I had been sifting thru the net re:anipryl and saw some of the same things you did....possibly extending lifespan, slowing tumor growth, etc. It is a pretty mysterious drug, I think. It works for some cases, but no one can really explain why! It has clearly helped Mandy, relative to where she was before starting on it; it was a big help. But I'd like to make sure her cortisol levels and liver enzymes are not off the charts...

I'll keep you posted!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X