Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My dog Charlie was just diagnosed with Diabetes... (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7559)

mrgregj 03-02-2018 06:15 AM

My dog Charlie was just diagnosed with Diabetes...

Hello, my dog Charlie (9yrs 12lbs) was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. This is a new and scary situation for us and I am hoping this community can provide some support for us as we start this new life.

An additional complication with Charlie is that he has Addison's Disease and takes .625mg of prednisone to manage that disease. He had been on 1.25mg of pred for the past 2.5 years, and the Vet indicated that long term use of pred can cause Diabetes so we cut that dose down to .625 so the diabetes can be managed.

I gave him his first Vetsulin injection this morning of 2IU.

Any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated!

CraigM 03-02-2018 08:06 AM

Re: My dog Charlie was just diagnosed with Diabetes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgregj (Post 164060)
Hello, my dog Charlie (9yrs 12lbs) was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. This is a new and scary situation for us and I am hoping this community can provide some support for us as we start this new life.

An additional complication with Charlie is that he has Addison's Disease and takes .625mg of prednisone to manage that disease. He had been on 1.25mg of pred for the past 2.5 years, and the Vet indicated that long term use of pred can cause Diabetes so we cut that dose down to .625 so the diabetes can be managed.

I gave him his first Vetsulin injection this morning of 2IU.

Any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. I donít have any knowledge of Addisonís disease, but Iím sure someone will be along later today.

Some general notes about diabetes:
Feed and inject 12 hours apart.
Select a lower fat food.
Monitor blood glucose at home

Gotta run. Wife says we are late for an appointment😉

Craig

jesse girl 03-02-2018 08:23 AM

Hi and welcome

read all what the site has to offer

There has been some members in the same situation as you with addisons . Heinzle had a very good thread on the subject and how they manged it . Use the search to look that up and or type addisons into the search for other members that dealt with it

read read read and educate yourself there are examples . Diabetes can be managed with steroids . You can find dogs with allergies that needed steroids for quality of life and made it work . Maybe type steroids into the search

Get a glucose meter role up your sleeves and go to work solving your dogs unique situation . Dont get locked into what may work for someone else in a similar situation will work for your dog . the disease is very individualistic and thats why most of the management is done at home

the good thing its doable and you may not need to upset the balance you already have with the addisons as far as dosing of the steroids. Its very possible you will have to use allot more insulin than normal but its not a contest on how little you give its how good the regulation is .

another thing to think about is timing of giving steroids to spread its affect over a 24 hour period as even as possible . if not you may have to give differing amounts of insulin in the 2,12 hour periods

mrgregj 03-14-2018 12:55 PM

I'm having a hard time coping with Charlie's diabetes. The time commitment and injections are overwhelming. I've never been a fan of needles myself so having to poke him all the time is really hard. I bought the autoject 2 to see if he can get used to that, but we are still in the training phase of him even getting comfortable with that thing close to his body, he just barks haha. I might try the inject-ease if he cant get comfortable with the louder sound of the autoject.

I have also not been able to do any home blood tests, the vet told me to do it on his ear or paw and I just cant get enough blood or at all to get a test. So I did buy some urine test strips to test for glucose and keotones. I know its not nearly as accurate, but its something.

This is taking a toll on us as I am sure it has for a lot of other people first introduced to this with their dog. The stress and anxiety with injections is tough, I feel like I live injection to injection.

jesse girl 03-14-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgregj (Post 164310)
I'm having a hard time coping with Charlie's diabetes. The time commitment and injections are overwhelming. I've never been a fan of needles myself so having to poke him all the time is really hard. I bought the autoject 2 to see if he can get used to that, but we are still in the training phase of him even getting comfortable with that thing close to his body, he just barks haha. I might try the inject-ease if he cant get comfortable with the louder sound of the autoject.

I have also not been able to do any home blood tests, the vet told me to do it on his ear or paw and I just cant get enough blood or at all to get a test. So I did buy some urine test strips to test for glucose and keotones. I know its not nearly as accurate, but its something.

This is taking a toll on us as I am sure it has for a lot of other people first introduced to this with their dog. The stress and anxiety with injections is tough, I feel like I live injection to injection.

Yep thats normal in the beginning but as time moves forward it becomes the new normal . The thing about diabetes in dogs in a way its a gift to a caretaker with little medical knowledge because it introduces this knowledge to this individual that they may have never acquired

It has opened my eyes to things i would have never thought i could do . I ask questions about jesses care and dont take a professionals opinion as gold as i use to . I am also the same way for myself questioning medical treatment if necessary or not . My doctor wanted to put me on 3 different medications based on blood and urine test . I said lets try diet and she said ok and i am not on any medication at this rime ( knock on wood ) . I am sure if jesse wasnt here i would be on those medications and at worse may not be here

So for me i dont look at this as a terrible thing that inconveniences me and my life but in a way a gift from jesse sacrificing her normal life to make me better

Lolo 03-14-2018 01:22 PM

If he has elbow calusses try testing there. Thatís where I get blood from my Lucy. She doesnít like her ears or paws messed with, but has no prob with my poking at her elbow.
It is a super steep and high speed learning curve. I sympathize and weíve all been there... Iím still there. Okay about a month since diagnosis and itís been one complication after another including a $2k emergency vet visit this weekend.

k9diabetes 03-14-2018 03:44 PM

There are many different places to test. Many small dogs are tested on the back at the base of the tail or on the lip.

You can see great videos of Tiggy, a Chihuahua, being tested on the back at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html.

Natalie

mrgregj 03-01-2019 07:56 AM

Today is our 1 year anniversary since Charlie was diagnosed with Diabetes! While it is sad thinking back to those early days of struggling with this new change in our lives, it is definitely better! He has been doing so well with his regulation and we are just cruising a long.

This forum was absolutely helpful and a great source of information!

To many more years!:)

jesse girl 03-01-2019 08:07 AM

congrats on the first year . Thats usually the toughest . Be careful of cruise control . Its when you let your guard down and get complacent is when i ran into problems with jesse

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing many more of these anniversary's from charlie

MikeMurphy 03-01-2019 10:13 AM

Congratulations to Charlie and you!

Keep up the good work:)