Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed, getting discouraged

Hi everyone

My dog Ruby, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am sitting here crying because Its getting harder and harder to get the insulin in her. I see other dogs stand nicely and get their shots, Ruby doesn't want any part of it. Now she is trying to bite me. I am getting frustrated and depressed. Ive tried the no big deal approach, the treats and praise, she flinches and yelps and runs away...

Shes a 6 year old, 12 pound red headed minpin on 4u Caninsulin twice a day.

Does this get any easier? Does anyone else have a dog that resists?

I feel like I am torturing her.
    Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Re: Newly diagnosed, getting discouraged😢

hi and welcome yes there are many min pin come to the forum it does seem to be a bread prone to diabetes and they seem to be very spirited and dont like to be messed with but all seem to figure a way to give shots and things settle down maybe not perfect but insulin gets injected if you figure it out it may occupy a minute of time in the day to complete the task but it can be a tough minute

the shots have to be given no choice so acceptance for ruby is the same no choice it is possible a muzzle may have to be used at least temporarily till she accepts the new reality

i give jesse her shot while she is eating she pauses for a second give the shot and returns to eating its never bothered her

things will settle down you may not have a perfect pup but things will get better and you will have success
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Newly diagnosed, getting discouraged

Welcome to you and Ruby!

I can definitely understand what you are going through. My min pin Roxy would never just "stand there nicely" and let us give her her insulin shot, lol. For Roxy I bought a small muzzle. At first I felt bad about having to muzzle her but as time went on she became more accepting of it. In fact she would actually put her nose in it for me as soon as I put it near her face. It did take 2 people to give her insulin shots. One person would sit down with her (her sitting in her bed, and other person on the floor) while I gave the injection. After her shot I would reward her with either a healthy small snack (green beans, etc.) or get her favorite toy to play with. Without using a muzzle, it made insulin shots more of a "fight" which in the long run just caused more stress not only for me, but for her as well. The last thing I wanted to do was stress her out. I hope this helps give you some ideas for giving Ruby her insulin

HUGS
      Jennie

Comment

Jesse Girl - LOL at "Spirited"

Comment

Try not to be discouraged, I have found that it does get easier , 4 months in now, and my pippa does not like her injections, but does tolerate them better and now about 50% of the time doesnt even notice them. Maybe thats because Ive got quicker and more used to it myself. I have a routine, like alot of people on the forum, and stick to it! She has to have the injection so in a way its a no win situation for her, I am always going to win.

Straight after her meal I lift her onto a towel on the counter and ask her to sit. She sits and I show her two tiny treats, i then tent up a bit of skin around her flank and its straight in, lots or praise and then her two treats. She used to wimper and wiggle and turn to snap at me, but now she barely notices.

Try not to feel that you are hurting her, you are doing this because you love her and know best what will keep her alive and healthy.

It will get easier. Promise.
          Hugs to you. x
          Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Poppy gets her shot while eating. Currently, she doesn't even notice it. Good luck.

Comment

once you have the insulin in the syringe are you warming it up? either between your fingers or I put it in my mouth like a pencil?

the syringe itself has a beveled side. bevel up seems to hurt less

once you get the syringe in, I would shoot quickly, less chance to wiggle and hurt themselves.

My Jenny didn't even notice the shot for months and now she hates it. she will be annoyed about half of the time.

Like Jennie, we caved and got a muzzle for my husband to use when he gives the shot. She doesn't care for it but it is on less than 30 seconds.

I give her a small piece of chicken jerky only after shots. she loves chicken jerky and comes to me after she eats for the shot even though she hates it.

Min pins are notorious for being headstrong. It will get better. hugs.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by MinPin View Post
                I am sitting here crying because Its getting harder and harder to get the insulin in her. I see other dogs stand nicely and get their shots, Ruby doesn't want any part of it. Now she is trying to bite me. I am getting frustrated and depressed. Ive tried the no big deal approach, the treats and praise, she flinches and yelps and runs away...

Does this get any easier? Does anyone else have a dog that resists?

I feel like I am torturing her.
                It gets much easier. Everyone has to find the right approach to giving their patient an insulin injection. When all is said and done, you'll find the best approach is to divert your pup's attention from you while giving the shot.

In my case, Otis gets his injection right after he finishes eating. It's become a routine and usually goes smoothly.
                • I prepare a small plate with a "sampler" of his favorite treats.
                • Armed with a loaded syringe, I kneel down beside him and place the plate in front of him.
                • As he's "snorting" his treats I give him his shot very quickly.

He may look at me briefly, but he's so engrossed with his treats he just goes back to eating.

These days, the only time I have a problem is when he hasn't eaten and I try to give him his reduced dose. That's a problem because he isn't interested in food and is focused entirely on me and looks at the injection as "violating his space". I happen to be having that problem this morning because he didn't want to eat. Happily, that is the exception rather than the rule these days, but it does happen.
                Last edited by farrwf; 08-15-2012, 04:16 AM.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Good morning! We have a min pin as well and she definitely is "spirited". Cooper was diagnosed in March and after 4 months she is taking her shots without a problem. I hold her and either my husband or daughter gives the shot. We always give her a treat afterward. At first she cried and yelped but it does get easier. Now we are working on just one to give the shot as well as home testing. Good luck!

Comment

Make sure you have the smallest needles yOu can get. Warm the insulin in the syringe with the cap on by holding it between your lips or under your arm. Don't be afraid of using a muzzle and try to be relaxed and positive. You can do it!!!
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Welcome and I am sorry you are having this trouble. As a retired dog trainer I know the little snappy guys can be very nerve rattling. Dogs are very smart and will not keep doing what won't work. So whatever restraint methods you use need to work or it will teach your dog to struggle more. I wouldn't hesitate in your situation to use a muzzle to be able to put some other treat training methods in place. In similar situations I would use a loosish muzzle which would allow the dog to eat a treat through it but would put the fabric between my skin and teeth if they were to bite. The loose part is in how snug the fabric fits around the nose not how secure the strap is on the head, behind the ears.
                      You'd be amazed how much more confident that little bit of protection will make you. In this case being confident will help you. If the treats complicate it too much you could leave that off until she was more accepting and you were more relaxed.

Good luck. I have one of those model dogs. We should actually put up a video of someone who doesn't have a model dog to give hope to all the min pin caregivers out there. I feel for you as Ruby sometimes squeals for her b12 injections and it can be very rattling.
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I'm on the same boat as you. Meeko was diagnosed last week and he's been really fussy with his shots. It's hard for me to grasp his skin and inject because he moves and tightens up. I'm getting discouraged as well. maybe I need to change my technique. It's getting frustrating!

Comment

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and tips...

Sometimes one just needs a little encouragement. I have a nursing background, so the actual procedure doesnt bother me, but with humans at least you can explain it to them!

I suspect my emotions get in the way sometimes and she picks up my anxiety
                          which probably doesnt help! The vet decided we would leave the glucometers for now and just concentrate on getting her comfortable with the insulin.

Thank you all... will update soon.

One pawsitive note! Ruby Loves her veggies, no food problems!

Currently on Vet W/D food and loves it, although her weight is within normal range for her frame. Luvs Orijen too!
                          Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Comment

New Trick today...mashed up wet food with crunchies and packed into bowl...more work to eat, gave me a few extra seconds...Insulin Went in, though took two people, but did not Yelp!! Yay!

Comment

Good for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X