Tricks to get them to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks to get them to eat

From time to time Scooter will turn his nose up at his food. The same food he has been eating with no problem for some time. That's when I have to resort to tricks to get him to eat.

Being diabetic makes that a challenge but I did find something that has been working for the last week. Getting him to clean the bowl every time, thankfully.

I made some pasta last weekend. Used sugar free Ronzoni Ziti No. 2. I added some very low sugar vodka sauce and put in the fridge. Each meal I cut up about 1/3 cup and mix well in his food. Then get out of his way.

Interested in any tricks others may have for our diabetic friends.
    Last edited by Scooterspal; 04-14-2018, 03:42 AM.
    Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Re: Tricks to get them to eat

Hi! Thanks for this! I have just recently started having trouble getting my almost 12 year old diabetic Pomeranian to eat. He was diagnosed almost 3 years ago, but, until a recent additional Pancreatitis diagnosis, he has NEVER refused food at mealtimes. He has always eaten his Hills W/D stew with a little dry food mixed in and been perfectly fine with it. Now, I am having the worst time trying to get him to eat at mealtimes. I am trying everything! I need ALL suggestions!

Comment

Daisy is a chow hound and has been known to dine on worms off the driveway so I don't have to worry about her not eating.

But I have heard low sodium chicken broth or a little parmesan cheese sprinkled or a little greek yogurt or a little cottage cheese have been enough to coax a dog to eat.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby's mom View Post
        ...until a recent additional Pancreatitis diagnosis, he has NEVER refused food at mealtimes.... Now, I am having the worst time trying to get him to eat at mealtimes.
        Most likely, the food is now hurting him during digestion so he does not want to eat it. Suggest making a switch, at least temporarily, to something easier for him to get down. Start with just a single protein source. Keep it simple for now. Add to that as he feels better. Venison or duck are generally easier on the digestion system. Something soft and wet.
        Last edited by Scooterspal; 04-21-2018, 03:51 AM.
        Diagnosed 9/15/17. A 17 lb. terrier mutt, 15 years old. My bestest friend. Novolin N 6U, Novolin R 3U, 2X/day. Cesar Classics 3.5 oz. packets w/ 4 tbsps of old fashion Quaker Oats, 2x day. Probiotic every 3 or 4 days. Omega 3, two 300 mg. capsules 1X/day for skin. Occuguard Plus, Billberry, Lutein, Vit E, Vit C every meal for eyes.

Comment

daisys mom, i had to laugh at that comment. bandit was the same way, he'd eat anything on the ground or whatever he could reach.

I'm not sure about what foods would hurt a dogs belly with pancreatitis, but when mine stopped eating becuase his BG was so high, he loved scrambled eggs, greek non fat plain yogurt, cottage cheese or low sodium chicken broth in his pearl barley. he didnt have pancreatitis though, so i'd ask before feeding. when he really wouldnt touch anything, i had to hand feed him. he would take it that way. i read somewhere dogs do that sometimes even if they arent hungry, they just want to please thier owner.
          best of luck to you!
          born 2005, adopted 2008. died 3-30-18
          i imagine his life flashing before his eyes yelling "I HAVE NO REGRETS!"

Comment

Working...
          X