urinalysis vs pricking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urinalysis vs pricking

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. My dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, so I'm trying to learn as much about the subject as possible.

From what I've read, I have two choices for blood-glucose testing - urine or blood. I'm wondering if urinalysis is highly inaccurate.

With all the needle action my dog will be getting from insulin shots, I'm not sure I have the heart to shove more needles into him for testing. Thanks in advance.
    Toasty is a Yorkie, 11 years old, 9 lbs, diagnosed on 8/8/13. He's getting Humulin N 2x daily.

Re: urinalysis vs pricking

Originally posted by austtam View Post
    I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. My dog was just diagnosed with diabetes last week, so I'm trying to learn as much about the subject as possible.

From what I've read, I have two choices for blood-glucose testing - urine or blood. I'm wondering if urinalysis is highly inaccurate.

With all the needle action my dog will be getting from insulin shots, I'm not sure I have the heart to shove more needles into him for testing. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to the forum,
    Most feel urine testing tells very little, in fact it can't tell at all if the blood glucose goes low (possibly a very dangerous condition).

Here is a pretty good link to diabetes, and it mentions urine testing: http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Tell us more about your pup! Breed, weight, type of insulin being used, feeding schedule / type of food, any other medications / problems? Any glucose readings from the vet?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi

Urine testing is helpful but not always as easy to interpret. You can get an idea on whether it is high or low but not how high or low.

I know it sounds like more torture pricking for the blood tests but when you find the "sweet" spot that works for your dog it really isn't a big deal for you or them. I used the lip and others will be along soon to tell you about ears, tails and such.

Jen

Comment

Every time I have checked my dog's urine since she was diagnosed it has been the same (>2000 mg/dl) which really doesn't help me at all. It shows that glucose is still spilling over into her urine but is not a good indication of her blood glucose. The blood testing is really no big deal. Try it on your finger first. If you can give a shot, the lancet should be fine. I find the easiest place is the inside of the lip. My dog knows the drill now and lays down ready for it :-)
        Linda & Lucy, 10+ years, spaniel cross, 50lb, diagnosed 6/26/13

Comment

We do what we can. Most on the forum test twice a day. I frequently test three times; before each meal and once shortly before the expected / estimated lowest time. Of course there are those who test more frequent, and those who may only test from time-to-time. We also have members who depend on urine testing because their pups haven't cooperated

You really do get more info with blood testing. Here's a recent personal example. My pup, Annie, had been getting 8 units of insulin for nearly a year. She had a vet appointment last month and the vet switched one of her eye drops (some pups develop eye problems). Within two days I noticed her blood glucose readings were going way too low and I had to reduce her insulin: TWICE. Without blood testing I probably wouldn't have known she was in danger of going hypoglycemic, which is possibly life threatening.

There are dogs that might not take to blood testing, but most at least put up with it. I had a terrible time testing the first several weeks, and a few times I had to call the wife to do it. Finally, Annie & I got it together and seldom have a problem now. Annie doesn't mind testing, and she seems to know when I want to do it and she just follows me to our testing counter. She gets a tiny, diabetic friendly treat (frozen green bean, straight from the freezer) along with a lot of praise after each test. We've been at this for just over five years.

Here is a link to the AlphaTrak (dog meter). They are trying to sell their meter, but the general info & videos are pretty good: http://www.alphatrakmeter.com/alphat...sy-to-use.html

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

It isn't that the urine test is 'highly inaccurate', it just doesn't tell the entire story. While the ketosis strips do give you an idea whether sugar is spilling into the urine, this test cannot tell you his insulin needs.

When Scooter was first diagnosed, we went to the vet for three days in a row and they administered sub q fluids (he looked like he was carrying two pouches under his skin) and this flushed his system of the excessive ketones. This is just phase one. Once regulated, then there will be no ketones present.

I've seen here where people use this as a means of testing as a sort of double check if they can't (or don't) home test. I wouldn't rely on this method alone. I read an article recently (sorry I can't find it) where it said something about the test for ketones, while not inappropriate, will be ever changing as the cells die off and can give varying readings. I will try to find the article.

But, to answer your question it is just another check especially if you see your dog acting strange or otherwise exhibiting clinical contraindications of diabetes, it would be good to use the ketone test, but also to follow that up (if it turns purple, I think that is the color) with your vet if you aren't home testing.

I hope that helps.
            Scooter, Born 1/12/2003, passed away 8/2013~10 lb Maltese, dx 3/2010, lived a happy life.

Comment

Hi! I am relatively new here also ~ June. I use urine strips when my dog's blood glucose numbers are high. Since his numbers have come down I don't tend to test the urine because it won't tell me anything.

I too was worried about poking and prodding my dog Teddy too much. But I found he has become a real trouper and just stands there and lets me do what I need to do. I never could get up the nerve to try the lip though - I test just at the base of his tail on his back. His tail is a stump so I pretty much prick right on that stump. I shave a small area so the blood doesn't get soaked up by too much hair. After a few fumbled attempts it worked just fine and has given me much more confidence in managing his diabetes. The more you try it the easier and quicker it becomes - less stressful for the dog too.

Good luck,
              Margaret
              Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

I started with urine strips....didn't know at the time that blood testing was an option. It really didn't give me the info I needed. Looking back....it was a waste of time and I think I could have gotten Elliot regulated faster had I been testing his blood instead.

I test on the outside of his lip. He couldn't care less....in fact, when he hears me getting the lancet ready he just walks over and stands by me. There are plenty of Youtube videos showing examples of how to get a blood sample. It was a bit intimidating at first, but I got over it quickly and Elliot never broke a sweat

There are other things to think about before starting to test at home i.e type of meter and cost of testing strips. There's lot of info on this forum....ask TONS of questions...someone will come along that has had a similar experience and can help you through.

Best of luck!!!!
                Emily & Elliot
                Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

Welcome Austtam

So glad you found our forum.

As others have said urine testing is not that accurate.

As you read other posts you, ll see home testing has great results.

We can walk you through this, in no time you, ll get the feel of it.

Again welcome

Mo
                  Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                  20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I just wanted to add my Welcome!! Believe me, no question is stupid...especially when it comes to our pups!

What a cute little guy you have there! Tell us more about him!
                    Mel
                    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

So it seems blood testing is the obvious way to go. I was a bit more worried about the needles before, but the past few times we've given Toasty insulin injections, he's been incredibly cooperative. Giving him a treat afterwards definitely seemed to help.

Regarding frequency, what's the reason for testing 3x daily? Is this a preventative measure? Or do your readings dictate the amount of insulin you use?

By the way, my dog's name is Toasty. He's an 11 year old yorkie and we named him after his burnt toast color. He lives with my parents as my dad is retired and has ample time to take care of him.
                      Toasty is a Yorkie, 11 years old, 9 lbs, diagnosed on 8/8/13. He's getting Humulin N 2x daily.

Comment

Hi and Welcome,

Your pup is adorable!!! I agree that BG testing is the way to go. When Bogie was first diagnosed I did the urine testing but it didn't tell me anything other than it was high or it was low.

Before I came to the forum I had read about BG testing on dogs but wasn't too sure about it and the people here suggested it was the way to go... Needless to say we have been doing it ever since. Bogie is so cooperative he literally lays down for me and gives me a little wag of his tail.

Just to give you a example I decided to do a urine test the other day just to see what I would get, and it was brown... The last couple days we have been getting decent numbers again so I did a BG test (I test on the lip) and the reading was 160. So as you can see there really is not a lot of accuracy with the urine sticks.

Best of Luck and I look forward to hearing more about your pup.

Dawn & Bogie
                        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

The reason for 3x a day for me is to check before each food/insulin shot and at Maggie's nadir(low point which is typically 6 hours after breakfast for her)

The reading does not dictate how much insulin I give her. It is not a good idea to vary dosage depending on what the number is. This could get you in trouble and doesn't provide stability. You could get in a roller coaster pattern with wild swings.

The only exception is if Maggie's sugar is below 100 at meal time. I wait one hour and retest. If she has risen suffciently, I will give her her insulin shot. If she hasn't gone up enough, I cut her insulin depending on what her bg is at that time. Example, if I tested her and she was 52, I would feed her and wait one hour and retest. If the retest was 225, I would give her the full amount of insulin. If the retest was below 100, I would cut her insulin. Most adjustments are very small and subtle for my dog.

The rise after food can be different for each dog. Some dogs get a huge spike from food, others not so much. Some dogs are very sensitive to insulin and get a big drop quickly after the shot. This is something you will learn about your dog as you go. This is why testing alot in the beginning will teach you alot about your dog's tendencies and you can have a reasonable expectation of what happens in different scenarios.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I was a very reluctant blood tester but now I find it essential to making me feel I have some idea of what is going on.
                            I don't test to a fixed pattern though I do often test at fasting (ie just before a meal) and a few hours before because sometimes he starts dropping very low a few hours before teatime and I try to catch that.
                            It really depends on how I think he is doing. If I am worried because he has had some erratic numbers I test more. If I am not especially worried (or busy!) then I test less. It is just a fantastically useful tool to help manage the illness.
                            We did a lot of urine testing at first and that is helpful when they are consistently high but once you start getting them down it is not much help as you can't differentiate between normal and low. It only measures if excess glucose is spilling into the urine.
                            Eddie doesn't mind testing at all and even paws at me to get on with it. Possibly related to him getting a treat afterwards! If he did grumble I'd tell him to put up with it since it is helping to save his life!
                            Antonia
                            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Good Morning to you, There is no question that is stupid. Diabetes is such a frustrating condition for our pups. This is the perfect site for getting your questions answered correctly!
                              I am not a vet, but for me, we have done curves (pricking) as well as urine analysis. Your pup won't mind if you begin the proceedure correctly.
                              My pup gets his shot right after his morning and evening meal, he seems to know he needs it as will as we make it a fun time,,,, He gets lots of petting, he gets his shot, and then a treat! It's never a problem.
                              I do not home test only because I am soooo afraid I won't get something right. My pup is on the food that works for him as well as right now 8 cc's am and pm. Levels are finally good, and for now we are just coasting.
                              That being said,,,,, ask this forum all that you need to understand, they will guide you and be a wonderful support.
                              Best of luck, I am sure you will become comfortable and handle your pups' condition just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X