Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ReliOn insulin (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4055)

k9diabetes 09-01-2012 06:00 PM

Re: ReliOn insulin

In a very brief search, I turned up this article from July. Could be Eli Lilly is balking now at selling it for the low price and has refused to continue their contract with Walmart.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lin-brands-mrp

Shellie 09-01-2012 08:34 PM

My local Walmart is out of the Humulin N Relion brand. Not liking having a switch forced on me. Will the Humulin N still be available even if it's not the Relion brand?

CraigM 09-01-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 85081)
My local Walmart is out of the Humulin N Relion brand. Not liking having a switch forced on me. Will the Humulin N still be available even if it's not the Relion brand?

Sure (I think) at the normal $75ish price.:mad: Give them a call, would be interesting!

Kat Negron 09-02-2012 07:25 AM

I think I'm going to give the Novolin a whirl and see how Gigi does. That price point is just so hard to pass up. I can't swing paying $75-$95 a bottle of Humulin on a regular basis :(

jesse girl 09-02-2012 07:30 AM

you may see a better response with change

if you are seeing really good blood sugar i guess change might be a more difficult decision

momofdecker 09-02-2012 07:59 AM

When Decker was first diagnosed in early November 2011 we paid $88.00 for a 10ml vial of Humulin N. Got him home at 5:30p and needed to have insuiln for the next morning. Didn't give us a lot of time to shop around. The great pharmacist at our local Price Chopper was the one who gave me the tip on the low cost of purchasing the insulin at Wal-mart (before I found this forum).

Looking at that cost vs. the $136.00 we pay for his levemir, the levemir cost doesn't seem quite so much anymore. And because the levemir is a clear insulin we have not seen an decrease in potency past the 42 day mark. Honestly, my initial thought was to wonder if more people would consider giving the levemir a try.

jesse girl 09-02-2012 08:24 AM

jesses r insulin is over 6 months and it is also a clear insulin they say if it holds its clarity it is still good

i am a real supporter of levemir from seeing people on the forum make a change and getting a much milder approach its funny we dont even use it and i am a fan watching it from the stands and not a player on the field

i wouldn't be surprised if kept refrigerated you could keep it for months and maybe as long as Jesse r with little to no loss of potency so actually it maybe a less inexpensive approach

for jesse i have not had a vet involved in her diabetes so getting a prescription may change that and thats something i dont want to do at this time, if they are willing to wright a prescription . also we are able to do her walk and rabbit chasing with no problems so thats big factor i do get tired of jesses unpredictability and the appearance on instability before that 28 day mark on nph

if it ever reaches a point where you dont need a prescription that would be an incentive to give it a try and really dont understand why you need a prescription for one insulin and not for another a head scratchier for me

Rubytuesday 09-02-2012 10:05 AM

We started our first pen of Levemir on 5/8 and am still using it. The Humalog pen was started even longer ago an seems to give consistent results too. They are both clear insulins that we keep in the fridge.

I wonder if the 42 day mark they give is because the pen is designed for people to clip on the shirt pocket like a pen and would therefore be jostled and unrefridgerated during that period. I treat mine very gently due to it's cost.

When I start the new pens for both I will post whether or not I realize more potency.

jjefferjo 09-02-2012 12:25 PM

My Walmart had 14 bttls left and I bought three. If and when I switch- I will in the winter time. Ed seems to have less issues in the winter.
His 2yr sugarversary is coming up

Patty 09-02-2012 03:14 PM

It's still twice as much but Walgreens sells theirs for around $50 something a vial with a 1-time purchase of a W card that's around $20 if someone is looking to cover the gap.