Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ReliOn insulin (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4055)

CraigM 08-29-2012 10:12 PM

ReliOn insulin

Just saw a few minutes ago on the ReliOn Facebook page that they are asking to be notified if your Walmart is out of insulin. They would need the name / location of the store.

heinzle 08-30-2012 07:49 PM

Re: ReliOn insulin

Happened to me last Christmas. I was horrified but everything worked out okay obviously. Just went to one of the THREE Walmarts in Lincoln, NE to choose from. Such a love hate relationship I have with that company...

Rubytuesday 08-30-2012 08:30 PM

My mother used to make me feel shame whenever I went to walmart...since Ruby's diabetes I'm a regular.:p

farrwf 08-31-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubytuesday (Post 84915)
My mother used to make me feel shame whenever I went to walmart...since Ruby's diabetes I'm a regular.:p

Just always be ready to to take a few pics of "Walmart People".

eileen 08-31-2012 07:33 PM

A friend of mine has stated that she has recieved a confirmation reply from ReliOn FB stating that ReliOn Novolin is now being shipped to Walmart Pharmacies.

Patty 08-31-2012 08:00 PM

That's helpful for me since we are using Novolin now. But interesting they would switch back from Humulin to Novolin so soon. Wonder what the background story is on their contract.

CraigM 08-31-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 84996)
Wonder what the background story is on their contract.

Bet it is about the money. Just hope they are able to keep the retail price at $25. It's been $25 for at least three years, not much today is the same price for three years.

farrwf 09-01-2012 04:55 AM

Facebook Posting by ReliOn rep.

Like ˇ ˇ 20 hours ago near Gilbertsville, PA

Patty 09-01-2012 02:46 PM

Seems kind of out of the blue. No forewarning they were switching up.

CraigM 09-01-2012 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a chart comparing insulins that had been on the ReliOn site a few years ago. The chart indicates there might be some minor differences between the Humulin-N and Novolin-N. I don't recall anything major when we changed from Novolin to Humulin two years ago, but I'll probably back off about 10% on the dosage and run additional tests for a few days when I switch over to Novolin.

k9diabetes 09-01-2012 06:00 PM

In a very brief search, I turned up this article from July. Could be Eli Lilly is balking now at selling it for the low price and has refused to continue their contract with Walmart.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...lin-brands-mrp

Shellie 09-01-2012 08:34 PM

My local Walmart is out of the Humulin N Relion brand. Not liking having a switch forced on me. Will the Humulin N still be available even if it's not the Relion brand?

CraigM 09-01-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellie (Post 85081)
My local Walmart is out of the Humulin N Relion brand. Not liking having a switch forced on me. Will the Humulin N still be available even if it's not the Relion brand?

Sure (I think) at the normal $75ish price.:mad: Give them a call, would be interesting!

Kat Negron 09-02-2012 07:25 AM

I think I'm going to give the Novolin a whirl and see how Gigi does. That price point is just so hard to pass up. I can't swing paying $75-$95 a bottle of Humulin on a regular basis :(

jesse girl 09-02-2012 07:30 AM

you may see a better response with change

if you are seeing really good blood sugar i guess change might be a more difficult decision

momofdecker 09-02-2012 07:59 AM

When Decker was first diagnosed in early November 2011 we paid $88.00 for a 10ml vial of Humulin N. Got him home at 5:30p and needed to have insuiln for the next morning. Didn't give us a lot of time to shop around. The great pharmacist at our local Price Chopper was the one who gave me the tip on the low cost of purchasing the insulin at Wal-mart (before I found this forum).

Looking at that cost vs. the $136.00 we pay for his levemir, the levemir cost doesn't seem quite so much anymore. And because the levemir is a clear insulin we have not seen an decrease in potency past the 42 day mark. Honestly, my initial thought was to wonder if more people would consider giving the levemir a try.

jesse girl 09-02-2012 08:24 AM

jesses r insulin is over 6 months and it is also a clear insulin they say if it holds its clarity it is still good

i am a real supporter of levemir from seeing people on the forum make a change and getting a much milder approach its funny we dont even use it and i am a fan watching it from the stands and not a player on the field

i wouldn't be surprised if kept refrigerated you could keep it for months and maybe as long as Jesse r with little to no loss of potency so actually it maybe a less inexpensive approach

for jesse i have not had a vet involved in her diabetes so getting a prescription may change that and thats something i dont want to do at this time, if they are willing to wright a prescription . also we are able to do her walk and rabbit chasing with no problems so thats big factor i do get tired of jesses unpredictability and the appearance on instability before that 28 day mark on nph

if it ever reaches a point where you dont need a prescription that would be an incentive to give it a try and really dont understand why you need a prescription for one insulin and not for another a head scratchier for me

Rubytuesday 09-02-2012 10:05 AM

We started our first pen of Levemir on 5/8 and am still using it. The Humalog pen was started even longer ago an seems to give consistent results too. They are both clear insulins that we keep in the fridge.

I wonder if the 42 day mark they give is because the pen is designed for people to clip on the shirt pocket like a pen and would therefore be jostled and unrefridgerated during that period. I treat mine very gently due to it's cost.

When I start the new pens for both I will post whether or not I realize more potency.

jjefferjo 09-02-2012 12:25 PM

My Walmart had 14 bttls left and I bought three. If and when I switch- I will in the winter time. Ed seems to have less issues in the winter.
His 2yr sugarversary is coming up

Patty 09-02-2012 03:14 PM

It's still twice as much but Walgreens sells theirs for around $50 something a vial with a 1-time purchase of a W card that's around $20 if someone is looking to cover the gap.

JayneN 09-03-2012 05:59 PM

Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? :mad: I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price:(

I will discuss the new branding with the vet though and see what he says.

It is always something to stress about:(

CraigM 09-03-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayneN (Post 85177)
Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? :mad: I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price:(

Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.

Rubytuesday 09-03-2012 06:21 PM

Jayne, that was Patty talking about if someone was in a pinch they could get it for $50 at Walgreens. I think that was because some walmarts were just plain out of stock.
We haven't heard what the new price will be at walmart or even if there will be a change.

Fingers crossed.

Daisy'sMom 09-03-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayneN (Post 85177)

Walmart used to sell the Novolin brand, then switched to Humulin and guess now back to Novolin. Someone posted on another site she just bought Novolin at Walmart for $17.88. She is in Texas. She also said that her diabetic poodle has been fine with the brand switch.

JayneN 09-04-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 85181)
Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.

I know what you are saying...I think what I was trying to say was if I need to stick with the Humulin after speaking to my vet and need to purchase it other then at Wal Mart, I will be spending more..

CraigM 09-04-2012 02:30 PM

I just phoned my local Walmart. They have made the switch to Novolin and said the price is a little under $25. I didn't press for the EXACT cost, probably would have to ring it up on the cash register to give the price. I'm happy for now.

Scootersmom 09-04-2012 06:46 PM

Our Walmart in Pa. is selling the Novolin for $24.88. Same price as Humulin. The pharmacist said it is almost identical. There are 3 molecules that are different. Whatever that means. Going to call our vet tomorrow to see what she thinks.

Patty 09-04-2012 07:27 PM

This was a post I made back in Peggy and Carolyn's thread awhile back.

Quote:

The primary ingredients are the same:

HUMULIN NPH and HUMULIN 30/70
Each vial or cartridge will contain human insulin (recombinant DNA origin) and the following excipients:
m-cresol distilled 1.6 mg/mL,
glycerol,
phenol 0.65 mg/mL,
protamine sulphate,
dibasic sodium phosphate,
zinc oxide,
water for injections.
Hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide may have been used during manufacture.
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...Humulininj.htm

NOVO NORDISK PROTAPHANEŽ Isophane (NPH) insulin suspension injection 100 IU/ml

Excipients
Glycerol
Disodium phosphate dihydrate
Metacresol
Phenol
Zinc chloride
Protamine sulphate
Sodium hydroxide
Hydrochloric acid
Water for injections
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...taphaneinj.htm

My understanding is that the difference lies in the fact that some of the ingredients are from different sources and the base solutions are made using different processes.
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29717

Humulin insulin is made from a non disease producing strain of E.coli bacteria that's been genetically altered, and I believe Novolin is derived from yeast that's a special form of genetically engineered wheat.
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:R-DNA/GE/GM

lyonellen 09-05-2012 03:16 PM

I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.

CraigM 09-05-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyonellen (Post 85359)
I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.

The folks at the Walmart pharmacy should have told you that their contract with Lilly for Humulin had expired, but there is now a contract with Novo Nordisk for Novolin insulins. Novolin-N is pretty much the same as Humulin-N. some stores might not have either insulin in stock, but should have Novolin-N soon. Ask for ReliOn Novolin. We think the price is the same $24.88 that they were selling the Humulin for.

Doby's Daddy 09-05-2012 06:04 PM

I just purchased ReiOn Humulin N at 24.88 in Northwest TN today.

As this was my first purchase at Wal-Mart Pharmacy I asked if I needed to change my prescription over and they told me that I didn't need a prescription to buy it.

This one only my second time to buy insulin since Doby was diagnosed.

JayneN 09-07-2012 07:17 PM

Being aware of the switch, I was in Sam's Club today (just bought a vial of Humulin 2 wks ago) and stopped by the pharmacy and instead of asking if they had any Humulin N, I just said I'd like a vial of....the girl opened the fridge and seemed shocked that they had none:confused: No explanation, just that they didn't have any. So I just went on my way...just really wanted to see if they were out....I didn't try at the Wal Mart though, figured they would be out also.

CraigM 09-07-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayneN (Post 85556)
Being aware of the switch, I was in Sam's Club today (just bought a vial of Humulin 2 wks ago) and stopped by the pharmacy and instead of asking if they had any Humulin N, I just said I'd like a vial of....the girl opened the fridge and seemed shocked that they had none:confused: No explanation, just that they didn't have any. So I just went on my way...just really wanted to see if they were out....I didn't try at the Wal Mart though, figured they would be out also.

Possibly the Pharm. tech, or helper, just looked for ReliOn/Humulin-N, and didn't look for ReliOn/Novolin-N? ;)We might have to educate them to the change;).

Scootersmom 09-07-2012 08:24 PM

Sorry I didn't post after I talked to my vet. Been busy since school started. Back to work. Ugh lol! She said the Novolin is fine. Just to be watchful when starting a new bottle (when the insulin is a little stronger and at the end of the bottle when it is a bit weaker. That is the same with the Humulin also. She assured me that it won't be a problem. Hope this helps. Blessings, Janice

Cebe 09-08-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty (Post 85266)
Humulin insulin is made from a non disease producing strain of E.coli bacteria that's been genetically altered, and I believe Novolin is derived from yeast that's a special form of genetically engineered wheat.
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:R-DNA/GE/GM

Every once in a while, I have to stop and just marvel at science and what we can do. I take all of this for granted in my daily life, but isn't it just amazing?