Cushings, allergies, and newly diagnosed diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushings, allergies, and newly diagnosed diabetes

Hi everyone. My boy Rocky is an 11 year old n/m boston terrier. He's always weighed about 21-22 pounds but is currently at 18.6 as of this morning. He's had quite the medical history starting out with him being born deaf. I'll keep his history to what I what I feel is relevant to his newly diagnosed diabetes.

Cushing's: A couple years ago Rocky started slowing down. It started out as lack of stamina on walks and shakiness in his rear legs. The vet we had at the time (who I did not like, always seemed to dismiss everything) said it was arthritis and wanted to start him on Rimadyl which I refused. I knew it was something else going on. Next vet did bloodwork and found elevated liver enzymes. Did ultrasound and found enlarged adrenal glands. Due to other symptoms tested for Cushing's but it came back negative. About six months later and after a move, continually elevated enzymes and a new vet he was tested again with a positive result. That was in April. He is currently taking 15mg of trilostane split between 10mg in the morning and 5mg at night. I never felt his symptoms were under control even though his labs were good. Liver enzymes went back down, post act cortisol under 6. Electrolytes normal.

Allergies: He's pretty much allergic to everything. He has seasonal, indoor, and food allergies. We did testing when he was about a year old and even the vet was surprised at his numbers. For example they were on a scale of 0-6 and she had made a joke beforehand about never seeing 4-6 and he had some 5s. He takes hydroxyzine and more recently Benadryl as well when they are worse. We've tried many foods over the years mostly sticking to things like raw, homecooked, the honest kitchen, etc. Still have never found the "perfect" food. He doesn't scratch a lot, mostly rubs his face and ears on the floor and paw licking.

Surgery: In October he was put under anesthesia to check out his airway due to sleep apnea. The surgeon called and said it looked like a mild case of laryngeal paralysis and he performed a tie-back procedure. Not sure if the added stress from this contributed to his diagnosis, but the timing seemed too close not to include.

Diabetes: A few weeks ago his water consumption started to increase, even more so than normal since he already drank a lot with his cushing's. He had also become pretty boney. I increased his food with the result being a boney dog with a pot belly. His weight stayed a consistent 20.5ish but he wasn't looking good. One Sunday the water drinking got excessive and I called to make yet another appointment. He was scheduled for Tuesday morning and over the next 36 hours before his appointment he got pretty sick and I debated to him to the e-vet Monday night. Tuesday came and our vet was pretty shocked when she saw him. He was flushed and exhausted. They tested his blood and found his glucose over 300. They did a urine test and found ketones so she sent us to the animal hospital. There they said his blood pH was okay and since he was eating and stable and wasn't dehydrated we could take him home and start him on 4 units of vetsulin with his dinner. Well, to our surprise he wouldn't eat his dinner. We called the vet and as we were talking to him he started licking our other dog's bowl. The vet said it was fine to give him her food as long as he ate. He wasn't concerned with what he eats, as long as he eats. The next morning we tried his food again and again he wouldn't eat so we gave him some of her raw again and bought him his own prey-style rabbit which is just meat, organs, and bone. After reading on here yesterday and today I see this probably isn't the best. He also tends to get reflux symptoms on raw which are starting to show up, but we just wanted to make sure he ate at the time. They also noted his cataracts, especially in his right eye, that I hadn't really noticed coming on because he'd had that bluish tint older dogs get already for a couple years now. Really nervous about him losing any more sight since he's already deaf.

Currently: He had his first blood glucose curve done last Tuesday (11/27) after one week at the 4 units. It was still high and pretty flat with what this noob is seeing as an odd spike: 343, 295, 348, 300, 329, and 349. They increased it to 5 units and he goes back tomorrow for his second curve. Over that first week he lost just under 2 pounds but it was all the potbelly. I think some of it was due to inflammation in his intestines. He's been acting more himself and the water consumption has gone down some. However he's still flushing and has bloodshot eyes. He definitely seems better at certain times of the day such as before his meals. He's also starting licking his lips which I'm not sure if that's from the reflux due to the food or nausea related to the diabetes. I tested his urine today and the strip read "small amount." He also has some skin rash or infection which I made an appointment with our family vet to look at and I assume started due to the uncontrolled diabetes. I know we are early in this so I don't think I have any specific questions at the moment. I'm just kind of at my wit's end between the forever struggle with food, seeing how terrible he looks with the muscle atrophy and skin problems, plus his quality of life. We always took him to restaurants and hikes and he loved treat puzzles and snacks throughout the day. Now he's lost all of that. Sorry for the pity party guys. I appreciate if anyone made it through this book of a post! I keep thinking of more I want to include, but I'll spare you all.
    Rocky AKA The Beef - 11 y/o Boston Terrier with cushing's, diabetes, and allergies. Currently 16 pounds, 20 pounds ideal weight. Taking 8 units Vetsulin 2x/day.

Re: Cushings, allergies, and newly diagnosed diabetes

Hi and welcome

sounds like your pup is a fighter

your dog has been started on an appropriate starting dose at 4 units

The numbers you posted are not all that high .very common to see numbers in the 500s and higher for a newly diagnosed dog .Another factor a cushings dog can see resistance to insulin but usually a treated dog as yours usually can do well

With all the other challenges with your dog you do need to test sugar at home if your not

sounds like you are off to a good start
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I ordered the Alpha Trak 2 today and it should be here Tuesday. I tried collecting blood from him unsuccessfully yesterday to use with my tester (I’m not diabetic, I have autoimmune anemia and my tester also gives values that give me an idea of how my anemia is doing. Not sure if they all do this.).

I tried three areas. At the base of the tail I was able to see blood but couldn’t get enough to use. Nothing at all on the elbow, he definitely felt it and reacted. And again nothing on the pad. He jumped away before I could even break the skin. I’m alone with him right now as my husband is away on a business trip until Wednesday. I’m hoping we will be more successful with one of us holding him until he gets used to it.

Dropping him off at 630 am tomorrow for his curve. I’m definitely worried as he gets super anxious in the crate and barks his head off all day. Last time he came home a wreck and took a day to recover. I’m debating asking if I can keep him in between. Not sure what we would do since the hospital is about 45 mins away. Also debating on asking about the libre. The day he was diagnosed the vet mentioned a continuous monitor but I don’t know if he meant the libre or something else. That would be a really valuable tool for us right now, especially since I’d like to change foods as well to control the reflux.
      Rocky AKA The Beef - 11 y/o Boston Terrier with cushing's, diabetes, and allergies. Currently 16 pounds, 20 pounds ideal weight. Taking 8 units Vetsulin 2x/day.

Comment

Yeah if he is anxious that can skew the curve and may not give true results which can be a problem for dosing

I have used jesses inner lip for over 8 years and maybe 10,000 tests or more

you can do some practice tests just rolling up the lip exposing it just above the canine tooth rub the saliva off with a napkin and see how he does .just take small steps until the actual test to get both of you comfortable

you will get there its kind of a no choice and needs to be done
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Got home a little bit ago from his curve. I stayed with him and we spent most of the day hanging out in my car. He didn't mind. He was snoring away in the back. Such a difference in him tonight compared to last time. You wouldn't even know anything was out of the ordinary today.

5:30 breakfast and 5 units
          6:30 422
          8:30 335
          10:30 258
          12:30 267
          2:30 278

So one higher spike an hour after he ate but overall lower than the last one. Increasing to 6 units tonight. Going shopping tonight for stuff to switch his food in the am. Going to try cooked ground bison. Undecided on carbs yet. Debating on a little bit of oats and pumpkin or possibly some butternut squash with a green veggie. Planning to see what baby foods Costco carries. I've seen that a few people use it for their veggies. Makes sense to me since its cooked and blended.

Asked about the Libre but I guess since they are doing it as a clinical trial he has to be regulated first. I was really hoping to have it now to help with the process, but at least we have the alpha trak coming tomorrow.

Comment

Now remember its possible a different food can change the amount of insulin that is needed . Sometimes a change may require more insulin and sometimes it could require less and thats where you can run into problems

you would like to keep both meals consistent and basically the same . Same for exercise and just about everything especially during the regulation process . Once thats accomplished you maybe able to vary things according to blood sugar

Comment

I know, I definitely am not changing for the fun of it. If he wasn't having reflux and what looks like allergy symptoms I would wait. I'm going to try to keep the amount the same as far as total calories and keep the sugars down on the carb sources. It will definitely still be a predominately meat based meal. I'll keep an eye on him and we will hopefully start home testing sometime tomorrow as well once his tester gets here.

Comment

Check the labels of baby food or anything like that, could be sugar in it.

And don't be afraid of carbs, they are important for diabetics. Fiber does many good things. Sometimes people think eliminating carbs will keep sugars down, but it can end up causing other problems.

And any food change will probably affect sugars, so lower your glucose expectations while adapting to a new food plan.
                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I always read labels with him, I've gotten so used to it over the years. I decided to go with the pumpkin and oatmeal because I thought he'd eat those better. He's definitely not a veggie dog. It always baffles me when people say they use things like green beans for treats. Rocky used to suck the liquid off peas and then spit them out!

He ate everything this morning and it seems like he didn't have the immediate reaction he was having with the rabbit. The obsessive licking and pink face. He's been pretty much sleeping all morning, but he's always been a couch potato so it's hard to tell with him. He doesn't seem weak or wobbly and normal drinking so I'm hoping that means his blood glucose is about the same as it has been. I was going to do a check with my monitor just to get an idea but again was unsuccessful at getting any blood. I tried just the lancet in my hand which it sounds like most people do, but without anyone to hold him he just moved too much. I wish I would have conditioned him as a puppy to accept face and feet touching better. The insulin injections were so easy, I wonder why he fights me so much with the lancet.

Comment

You will get it . most always do and you are highly motivated . Just keep trying dont overdo it to a point that both of you get frustrated . walk away when you need to

break testing into steps and goals . getting you dog calm before a test . Just find the best position and work on just keeping your dog from moving and just work on that and once mastered move onto the next step

Comment

Oh lordy.

So this afternoon he's been sleeping quite a bit and not drinking as much as he has been. The less drinking I figured was good, but the more sleeping was not. I was actually worried he might be a little low with the food change and increased dosage. I managed to get a drop of blood from his elbow and the reading was 395. Over 100 points higher than the same time of day yesterday on his curve.

I called our regular vet to ask if they could do a test to see if he was high or if the meter was high. They checked it and their equipment read just under 400 like we got but I also took our tracker with us and with the same blood sample they used it read over 500. They actually called our regular doctor because she is off today and she said not to worry today, tomorrow she will get his records from the hospital to look over his two curves and probably have me do a curve at home for her on Thursday or Friday.

So right now I'm wondering two things. 1) Why the AT2 read so much higher while we were there. I put in the code from the strip tube before the initial test and did a test with the control solution when we got home. It read 153 and the range says 111-205 so it's right in the middle. 2) Did his blood sugar go up because of the food change today? Because of us both stressing out doing his first test? I'm wondering if he does better without the carbs because I've never really fed him carbs. I know I read on here that some carbs are good so the insulin doesn't get ahead of the digestion process, but also that all dogs are different.

3) When do I start pulling my hair out?

The doctor actually told the tech over the phone that she doesn't want me randomly testing him so I don't get worried. I guess she knows me.

ETA: He also lost more weight. He was under 18 on their scale.
                      Last edited by rocksmom; 12-04-2018, 05:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

It is just one test and just one moment in time and tells very little of the overall picture . I have used a discount humane meter on jesse and have used quite a few different human meters and most were in similar ranges . I take the number as is and dont try to do conversions

Sometimes the hardest thing is to balance food with insulin . I made many mistakes at the beginning giving heavy meat diets but learned i needed to be more balanced . she has been on a homemade diet and it has changed over the years with not much change to her insulin dose but it could have made her number more erratic

you saw that 395 and its possible just a couple hours earlier it could have been at a 100

Testing at home can make you a bit nutty especially in the beginning . I did the same thing got a high test took jesse to the vet to be retested and asked the vet what are we going to do about that . The only way to address regulation is complete curves . I do believe testing blood sugar before every shot of insulin . During the regulation process doing more spot check can be helpful as more info is better . I haven't done a complete curves on jesse in years but i will test a bit more if things seem out of whack

Its going to take time an it can be months to achieve your dogs style of regulation

Comment

Reading here always gives me a bit of my sanity back. Especially realizing 2 weeks in is not very long.

I guess what makes me feel like it’s a race is his weight loss. Seeing him look like a dog from a Sarah McLaughlin commercial breaks my heart. I honestly don’t know how much longer he can loose, like how thin have other dogs gotten? I know I probably think it’s worse than it is because he’s MY dog. If he was at least maintaining and just not putting weight back on yet I wouldn’t be as worried.

Comment

My jesse got so thin a teenage girl yelled at me thinking i was starving jesse

My jesse was thin for sometime . As long as your dog stools are normal and urinating things are probably ok Usually once starting insulin therapy weight loss caused by uncontrolled diabetes will stop . Even if the numbers are not in a great range

Comment

Weight loss is normal this early in. My dog lost 5 lbs., but eventually put it back on. His body is going thru a lot of adjustments, and it can take a while for the insulin to properly do its job.
                              When I became diabetic myself, people thought I was dying I was so thin.

Patience is your greatest strength in this. Took my dog a year to regulate (I got too number focused). Expect lots of changes, and don't have expectations for sugar numbers, they change all the time, and the nature of diabetes is not mathematical; his sugar at some point yesterday will probably not be his sugar at that time today or tomorrow.
                              You're shooting for a range, keeping him in a range of blood sugar. And the absence of clinical signs.
                              Stay methodical and consistent with food, dose changes, etc. Follow the routine and you'll get there.
                              Some good general knowledge in the link. But remember, not all dogs follow the book, so again, don't worry if things don't follow the book to a tee.

https://www.aaha.org/public_document...ines_final.pdf
                              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X