Maltipoo Lucky - question about blood sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maltipoo Lucky - question about blood sugar

New to the group, my dog Lucy has been diabetic sent April, been thru hell and back, she had to have a bile duck surgery and was very ill, she used to be in the 500 -600 and my vet did not know a thing. So I did some research and put her on a home cooked diet with 1/8 cup of Innova low fat 2 xs a day, she is on 7 units twice a day, and doing much better. She take detamarin 1 x a day, and she is 11 lbs now. She is a small Maltipoo mix. It is very hard to regulate them. I test at home with Alpha trak 2 meter, used to do it 3 x a day at first now only at evening fasting just to keep an eye out for anything else that could come up. also do urine testing every so often when her numbers are a little high., 7 months ago I did not know one thing about diabetes in dogs. I have kept a journal and chart and write everything in it, even her bowel movements. I get a lot of my supplies for American Diabetes Whole on line. I use NPH from Walmart and having good success with it. Lucky just turned 10, and she did go blind and seems to be fine with it. SO for now no eye surgery. I do have questions. Some times she goes high like 250 -320 and it is hard to bring her back to normal, what could cause that. Do I raise the insulin units or what. and how much. She has never stayed low, her curves go from 250 to 320 but hardly ever lower. So not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks

Re: Maltipoo Lucky - question about blood sugar

Welcome to the forum!
    Could you post a resent curve? One - three readings might not be enough data to really discuss insulin requirements.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yes. welcome. I would also love to see a curve. Each dog can have such individual trends that it is hard to say unless we have a look at her trends.
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

around here and my vet say to adjust the dose base on the low point of the curve since going to low can be life threatening. People have had some luck adjusting the dog's food if there are some big fluctuations in the curve.

That is why everyone is asking to see the curve . If she is hanging in the high 200's an increase might be ok but if she drops during the day it might not.

sounds like you have done an awesome job looking out for your girl. Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi and welcome to you! Hopefully we can give you some more ideas on how to adjust your pup's numbers! Can't wait to see a curve! Welcome again!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
          X