Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kitty Gus - July 1996 - April 1, 2011 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155)

k9diabetes 05-06-2008 01:26 PM

Kitty Gus - July 1996 - April 1, 2011

I've been concerned about our cat Gus (the autistic one) for about a month because of a limp and his pelvis feeling bony, like he had lost muscle mass there. We gave him a week on Metacam and he seemed more or less okay. I thought maybe he injured his leg.

But last week he looked rugged. This weekend my husband and I both noted his ungroomed fur and general look of not feeling well, plus he had lost still more weight in his hips, which are extremely thin and bony now, and is still favoring the right hind leg. I learned at the vet yesterday that he lost almost a pound in four weeks.

So we had bloodwork done yesterday, which showed high levels of calcium plus calcium oxalate crystals were in his urine.

He's in today being checked stem to stern with ultrasound and x-rays - most likely candidates are a parathyroid gland tumor or lymphoma...

We are waiting for word from the tests and then will pick him up this afternoon - he had to be anesthetized for the procedures as he's not cooperative, so he has to recover from that before we can bring him home.

I'm so worried about him... He's the gray one in this picture. His sister Katie is in the middle and Winky, who passed on in 2005, is on the right.

http://www.randomfierce.com/canines/thecats.jpg

Natalie

We Hope 05-06-2008 01:47 PM

Re: Kitty Gus is sick

Natalie,

I remember Gus going in when you had to take Chris recently. Sure hope the tests say whatever's bothering him can be treated and that he will be back to 100% soon!

Get Well SOON, Gus!

k9diabetes 05-06-2008 02:16 PM

The vet just called. They sampled some tissue from the spleen, maybe liver.... not sure where else. He says it isn't screaming lymphoma but there are some suggestions that it might be, like more lymphocytes than they would expect, and they are sending the samples to a pathologist to review. Gus should be ready to come home in about three hours.

The good news for Gus is he wants me to push calories.

Gus has been on a diet but seems not to be eating enough lately. So I'm to feed him as much as he will eat and hopefully we won't have to put in a feeding tube to get some calories back into him. He says he's seeing some fat in the liver, suggesting Gus has not eaten as much as he should.

I know Katie has been cleaning up the breakfast he leaves behind (and getting plumper) but I can let him free feed and I think he might eat more in the evening if it's available. And I'll drag out the canned food too.

We Hope 05-06-2008 02:26 PM

From working on the wiki, I know just a bit about fatty liver in cats--it's quite a concern for those whose cats aren't eating, possibly because of their diabetes problems. Also know that if they won't eat enough on their own, the feeding tube has to come into the picture.

Hope that Gus will find something he likes a LOT and will stuff his furry face enough so he doesn't wind up being tube-fed!

BTW--perhaps you pass by some of the "Hammy Heavens" on your way to or from picking up Gus? Not sure if this would appeal to Gus or not, but know there IS someone at home who would find it GREAT! :D

Jody 05-06-2008 02:27 PM

Aw Natalie - i'm sorry to hear this about Gus! :( Will keep good thoughts coming his way that he begins to feel better. How old is he? Our kitty Lacey is ten and in pretty good shape - other than she's on a diet - much too fat. Since Taffy is gone - we are spending quite a bit of time together and she is no longer deprived! ;) Let us know how things go! Jody

k9diabetes 05-06-2008 07:20 PM

Gus is home. Still pretty groggy and can't manage his back leg coordination at all yet so has a way to go on recovering from the anesthesia. They left his catheter in so if he doesn't eat they can easily give him an IV. I'll take him back in the morning to have it removed.

But he came home with some canned IVD food and ate about half a can of the lamb version. And I put some of his kibble in his kennel where he's hanging out so he can eat that at will.

The vet's current thought is parathyroid tumor. He said one of the parathyroid glands is more than twice the size of the other one.

They are running two blood tests - "hypercalcemia of malignancy" (very expensive!) and "ionized calcium," which, as I understand it can determine whether there's lymphoma, parathyroid tumor, or, heaven forbid, both. And they did needle biopsies, guided by ultrasound, of the spleen, liver, and lymph nodes that will be reviewed by a pathologist in the next day or two.

Plus his doc is going to have a UCD radiologist review his x-ray.

(I really really like this vet - very thorough)

From what I was told, it's typical for the high levels of calcium to have damaged the kidneys, which does not seem to be the case with Gus. But if that's it, I think we caught it early. One of the vet's concerns is that the calcium level isn't high enough (13.2 with a normal range that tops out at 11.8) to explain how lousy Gus seems to feel.

The vet noted bowel inflammation as well, which could be a separate issue or related to lymphoma.

So we feed him as much as he will eat, take the cath out tomorrow morning, and await the various test results.

If it's a parathyroid tumor, that can possibly be either fried or removed surgically. If lymphoma, it's chemotherapy.

Natalie

We Hope 05-06-2008 07:47 PM

Good to hear that even though he's still sort of groggy from being under, he ate some of the IVD.

I can see why he'd be thinking parathyroid tumor after seeing one so much larger than the other. That poor little guy sure went through the works today!

Hope they can get to the bottom of what's bothering Gus and that it's not a malignant problem.

Am just looking at all three of them and it's amazing when you know they're siblings because you don't see any "family resemblances" at all.

Hang in there, Gus--we're all thinking of you!

Denise 05-06-2008 09:27 PM

Glad he is home and will be praying it's not lymphoma! How were his kidneys? Kidney cats get that bony rear end look and unkempt look.

I didn't know Winky was a tortie! I have 2 torties! Love them! (some call the dilute calicos?)

Fatty liver is one of my biggest fear with this many cats I figure I'll deal with it at some point.

k9diabetes 05-06-2008 11:06 PM

Hi Jody!

Gus and Katie are 12. Mostly they've been healthy, which is fortunate since they're both terrible about the vet. From looking around on the web, it looks they may be all or mostly Maine Coons. Their bodies are very similar to each other's, kind of look like a set of salt and pepper shakers when they sit side by side. But Katie has stiff guard hairs and undercoat. Gus only has undercoat fur.

I knew Gus was sick when I saw how readily he let the vet handle him yesterday.

Winky was a tortie inside and out! She came to live with us when she was about 12 I think.... She was my stepdaughter's cat and had been living with my stepdaughter's mom, who decided to rehome her so we took her in. She was 19 when she died.

We already had Gus and Katie by then and Katie and Winky HATED each other. They fought constantly... I could almost hear an audible sigh of relief from Katie when she realized Winky wasn't coming back.... that's terrible, I know, but true.

Denise, amazingly enough, his kidneys are fine. And I was relieved to see that his fasting blood glucose was perfect - 85.

He put away 3/4 of a 5oz can of Lamb IVD and a handful of Whisker Lickins' treats. He's got kibble available but isn't interested.

I hope that's enough. Will check with the vet tomorrow about whether he needs more calories than that. And he's totally ignoring his wrapped catheter so I haven't had to put the e-collar on him.

It will be an anxious couple of days waiting for the test results. I guess we are all hoping for parathyroid... I'd prefer nothing but I don't suppose that's realistic. Parathyroid is more treatable as I understand it.

Natalie

rhodesian46 05-10-2008 09:36 AM

Am thinking good thoughts for you and Gus!!! How is he doing today?

k9diabetes 05-10-2008 04:16 PM

Gus has been doing okay, not really well and not really bad if you know what I mean. He's been allowed to eat as much as he wants, much to Katie's dismay. Fortunately, so far (knock on wood til my knuckles bleed!) the various foods haven't caused a digestive problem.

I haven't had a chance to discuss it with the vet yet but I got a faxed copy of the pathology report on the needle aspirates of the liver, spleen, and ileum (end of small intestine). I'm not 100% certain but I think it says basically what the vet was saying - looks like it could be early lymphoma but it's not certain. The blood tests that will help sort out the diagnosis will take another week to come back.

Everything he's been experiencing seems to be consistent with lymphoma from the intestine, if he has lymphoma at all. The blood test will determine whether the calcium is being raised by the parathyroid or by lymphoma.

Natalie

Pathology Report

Diagnosis:

1. Liver - Moderate to marked hepatocellular vacuolication with scattered neutrophils and lymphocytes. (I think this may be related to the concern about fatty liver from not eating enough)

2. Ileocolic - Neutrophilic, lymphocytic, and eosinophilic inflammation; possible lymphoma of small granular lymphocytes.

3. Lymph node - Atypical lymphoid hyperplasia; possible early small lymphoma of small granular lymphocytes.

4. Spleen - Lymphoid hyperplasia.

Comments:

The aspirate of the liver contains evidence of hepatocellular lipidosis. Excessive accumulation of lipid in hepatocytes may result in hepatic dysfunction. Feline hepatic lipidosis syndrome is most common in obese anorectic cats but may also be seen in association with rapid weight loss, nutritional imbalances, diabetes mellitus, pancreatitis, or metabolic liver disease. In many cases, no underlying cause can be identified (idiopathic hepatic lipidosis).

The splenic aspirate contains lymphoid cells as well as hematopoietic precursors. There are not features of neoplasia evident in the splenic aspirate, although there are many lysed cells.

In the aspirate from the bowel, there is a mixture of cells, including lymphocytes, eosinophils, and neutrophils. Some of these lymphocytes have a slightly increased volume of cytoplasm in which visible pale granules can be found. Similar cells are seen in the node aspirte. When more than 10% of the cells in the node contain these granules (as is suspected here), there is often associated lymphoma of granular lymphocytes. This type of lymphoma usually originates in the small intestine or mesenteric nodes in cats but may infiltrate other organs. Granular lymphocytes are thought to be cytotoxic T lymphocytes or NK cells. Historically, this type of lymphoma has been variabley responsive to chemotherapeutics.

We Hope 05-10-2008 05:15 PM

It looks to me like what you think. FWIW, here's the wiki page on hepatic lipidosis--fatty liver:

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Hepatic_lipidosis

They seem to be saying that the signs are there for a possible bowel lymphoma, but that it isn't "absolute" but possible. Guess there's no "for sure" until the blood results come back. Sure hope if Gus HAS to have a problem that the parathyroid's the one!

Keep up the Good Work, Gus!

Denise 05-11-2008 07:09 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get more definative answers yet. Those results aren't what I'd want to read as possibilities!

Hope you find out it's the parathyroid thing. I know people who've had this and it's not a big deal but makes a big difference in their health.

Will watch for your update.

rhodesian46 05-12-2008 01:11 PM

Natalie,
Your report on Gus is to many big words for me!!!! Can you explain in laymans terms when u get the blood work back??:(

k9diabetes 05-12-2008 08:50 PM

Marianne, I hope so but don't count on it!! I had to do a fair amount of looking up terms on the internet to make sure I was understanding it!

I'm relying on the inclusion of "possibly lymphoma" to take the meaning to be it's not a conclusive diagnosis. So I'm very very anxious for the blood tests to come back so we know what to do next. Still haven't talked to the vet - I think he may be waiting for the blood tests too.

Natalie

k9diabetes 05-15-2008 01:58 PM

Just got off the phone with the vet now that all of Gus' test results are back. He also discussed them with the pathologist who reviewed the biopsies as it's kind of a muddy picture.

The hypercalcemia (high calcium level in the blood) has been diagnosed as idiopathic, which means they don't know why the calcium is high. The only thing to be done for that would be to give subq fluids to help flush the kidneys.

The test for parathyroid hormone came back in the normal range so that suggests there is no growth on the parathyroid gland.

The PTH-related hormone test came back negative, which says there's no raging lymphoma.

The vet says there is a gradient in cats from IBD to lymphoma. They believe that lymphoma often gets started with IBD and it may even be that most cats with IBD eventually will develop lymphoma.

So Gus' diagnosis is severe IBD and/or emerging lymphoma - that he's likely somewhere in the middle of that gradient.

He's being prescribed prednisolone (steroid) for the IBD and leukeran (low-grade chemo drug that's good at targeting lymphocytes).

And he's to stay on a novel-protein diet in case his diet is part of the IBD.

This is a cat who basically can't be pilled. Still working on a solution for that. The vet says it could be compounded into a single medicine but I'm going to try the pills first.

And will try to get him to eat the Lamb IVD.

Natalie

We Hope 05-15-2008 03:33 PM

You go, GUS!!!!!!!!

Denise 05-16-2008 05:21 AM

This is what I went through with Reba, lots of tests bt nothing that made it a clear dx showing we HAD to use Lysodren. Argh!

Steroids can be compunded into a creanm to rub on the ear, I believe, but I wouldn't think a chemo drug could. You have a pill popper? Saves your fingers but their claws still get your arms.

I've even ahd help with some cats and it can still be a chore! some of mine are famous for holding and spitting them out later.

IBD to lymphoma?

You might consider all meat food since some think that carbs feed cancer cells. I'm getting all mine switched over because of Bubba but it's going to take awhile, I have several kibble lovers and a couple that don't give a hoot about canned so....

How's he feeling now? Any signs of ANYTHING?

k9diabetes 05-16-2008 11:46 AM

The IBD to lymphoma continuum was really interesting to me. I noticed that an article by Dr. Tam, who is an IBD expert, covered IBD and lymphoma in cats in one article. He didn't directly relate them but I can see where a chronic case of IBD could lead to lymphoma in the intestinal tract. I'm hoping to get a chance to research this a little.

The thing I "like" about that explanation is it makes sense of Gus' test results. He's not lymphomic enough to come up positive on the tests but there are also lymphoma signs in the ileum and lymph node.

Gus is about the same but doesn't want to eat the IVD.

I managed to get at least part of the prednisolone in him last night. It's syrup and he's wearing part of it on his cheek. The leukeran had to be ordered so will pick that up today. If it's a pill, I"ll try pill pockets but he may not eat them.

He and Katie both fight like kamikaze warriors when they need pills and they're very strong and muscular in the front legs... plus Gus is doublejointed, which makes him very very good at reaching around and snagging skin. I was thrilled that his last antibiotic was a tasteless liquid that could be put in canned food gray.... we shall see how it goes!

Natalie

k9diabetes 05-17-2008 04:09 PM

For those interested in the IBD/Lymphoma link in cats, it didn't take much digging to find references to it...

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...2980&O=Generic

Quote:

Feline Alimentary Lymphoma

One well-recognized, but poorly defined, example of inflammation-associated neoplasia is the proposed progression from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to alimentary lymphoma. This progression is documented in human patients with coeliac disease, and although reported in both the dog and cat, this appears to be far more of an issue in the feline species.

In fact, the distinction between IBD and alimentary lymphoma on histopathological examination of gut biopsies still provides one of the most challenging interpretations for the diagnostic pathologist. Determining whether a mononuclear cell infiltration of the intestinal lamina propria is reactive or neoplastic has now been aided by the techniques of immunohistochemistry and clonality testing. Immunohistochemical labeling for the expression of molecules restricted to T (e.g., CD3) or B (e.g., CD21, CD79a) lymphocytes can determine whether an infiltrate is mixed in nature or monomorphic--the latter being more likely associated with neoplasia.3

In a recent investigation, we reviewed 32 cases diagnosed as alimentary lymphoma by routine examination of HE-stained intestinal biopsies taken from cats with chronic diarrhoea.4 Immunohistochemistry defined these as predominantly T cell tumours, with fewer B cell or null cell lymphomas. Of greater interest, was the group of 5 cases in which immunohistochemistry was able to demonstrate a mixed infiltrate of morphologically-normal cells more consistent with chronic inflammation than neoplasia. The recent introduction of 'clonality testing' (at least in the United States) has provided a second means of making this distinction.5 This methodology determines whether the population of lymphocytes infiltrating the mucosa is monoclonal (i.e., carries a single type of T or B cell receptor) or polyclonal (i.e., a mixed population with numerous different T and B cell receptors)--the former associated with neoplastic transformation. Clonality testing has to date been most widely applied to blood samples or fresh lymphocyte suspensions, but can also be performed with fixed tissue biopsies.

k9diabetes 05-22-2008 01:57 PM

Gus had his fourth chemo pill today and has been on the prednisolone daily, none of which seems to bother him. And by mushing up the Lamb canned IVD with water, I've convinced him to eat it fairly consistently, along with some kibble at times if he's really hungry.

This morning he tried to break into the Pill Pockets bag and help himself so those are working wonders for getting his meds into him. Which is cool, since the prednisolone is a lot cheaper as a pill than as a syrup.

Natalie

We Hope 05-22-2008 02:38 PM

Keep it up, Gus!

Denise 05-23-2008 05:48 AM

I've wondered about the pill pockets for cats as I have several cats that don't eat ANY treats. A friend with a thyroid kitty was having trouble pilling and I told her to try pill pockets and she was amazed at how simple that was! I hope he continues liking them! I've found things that work for awhile and then.....

I've always heard that cats take chemo really well compare to other species. I hope he stays well, keeps taking his meds and eating well!

eyelostit 05-25-2008 09:43 PM

Nat, I hope Gus is doing better and taking his pills............:rolleyes:

k9diabetes 05-26-2008 03:37 PM

So far, the pill pockets are working great.

Some days Gus looks pretty good, some days a little scruffy. Today is a scruffy day. He has put a little weight back on, which is good.

Not much news, which I guess is good news.

Natalie

Jody 05-28-2008 04:24 PM

Thanks for the update on the Gus Boy! Nice to hear that he is taking this all in a stride - or at least that's what he wants you to think! ;) I'll have to remember to check on those pill pockets if I ever have to pill Lacey - gosh - I just know that would be a nightmare! Taffy was bad enough - but a cat? Yikes!:eek: Jody

k9diabetes 05-31-2008 04:10 PM

I had happened to start giving him treats a few months ago in an effort to get him to socialize a bit more, which turned out to be very valuable now that he needs pills twice a day.

I'd sit on the bed and rattle the treat bag and he'd come running. I'd require him to pretty much climb into my lap to get the treat. He'd stay at least long enough for 3 or 4 treats, which was a big accomplishment for him.

Something about those treats they REALLY like and now they lap up the pill pockets too. Katie gets one every time Gus does.

Gus has a blood draw scheduled on Monday, I think mostly to check for anemia from the chemotherapy.

Natalie

k9diabetes 06-08-2008 09:41 PM

Gus' blood panel came back with some good news and no bad news. It doesn't really tell us much about the IBD/Lymphoma but does suggest he's not having any serious problems with the treatment.

No anemia.

Calcium dropped into the normal range,
from 13.2 down to 10.5, normal is 8.2-11.8

ALKP improved, from 80 to 40, normal is 0-62.
ALT went up though, from 76 to 135, normal is 28-100

One weird thing - cholesterol went up, from 187 to 235, normal is 82-218.

He also gained some weight, from 12.4 to 13.0 pounds and it seems to be somewhat better distributed.

The vet wants to continue his treatment for another week or two before doing any major evaluations since there's no obvious problems or obvious improvement. Gus remains in the not-great/not-bad gray area, maybe a little better than pretreatment though he might have felt bad as much from the fatty liver issue as the IBD.

It's hard to really test the progress of the IBD/Lymphoma since it doesn't show up in the bloodwork other than the calcium level and that didn't seem to come from the intestinal issues in his case.

Some days he's looks pretty good. Some days he seems sluggish. And the vet said his own wife's cat, which has IBD, does the same thing.

Natalie

k9diabetes 07-05-2008 01:47 PM

Tuesday they are gonna ultrasound Gus to see how his lymph nodes and intestine look. He's been on chemo and prednisolone for just short of two months. The chemo, the vet tells me, is a permanent thing since it's a low-grade approach.

The vet's also going to look at his jaw and see if there's a reason for Gus' weird chewing/eating habits.

The loss of hair on the back of his back legs and stomach are commonly either allergies, which seems unlikely given that he's been on a daily dose of prednisolone, or stress. So this weekend I begrudgingly put his cat box back into his kennel in my office. Lordy, I loved not having it in here but he was going to the box barely once a day, saving it all up for one trip out to the box in the garage, so I got the feeling that he really wasn't liking not having his own cat box. If only he wasn't so messy!!!

Natalie

k9diabetes 07-14-2008 12:45 AM

Gus was a very expensive child on Tuesday. I'm still waiting for the lab results.

He has some changes in the fat in his liver, which the vet feels is benign.

They took some samples of the lymph nodes with needle biopsies and ran a blood panel.

Previous Results:
Quote:

Calcium dropped into the normal range,
from 13.2 down to 10.5, normal is 8.2-11.8

ALKP improved, from 80 to 40, normal is 0-62.
ALT went up though, from 76 to 135, normal is 28-100

One weird thing - cholesterol went up, from 187 to 235, normal is 82-218.
July 8 Results
Calcium: 9.9 so dropped still further
ALKP: 54, higher but still within normal range
ALT: 464, quite a bit higher
AST: 204, up quite a bit from 84, reference range is 5-55

I can't remember what AST is... will have to look it up.

The vet wasn't concerned about these.

Then they sent a blood sample to Texas A&M for a special panel (code on invoice is Tli/Pli/Cobalamine/Folate... intended to give us some information on Gus' IBD. Will have to look that up too!

Have been so busy with Chris that I haven't had much chance to explore this new test.

The leukeran, chemo drug, is likely a permanent part of Gus' life.

k9diabetes 07-14-2008 02:53 PM

If you're interested in testing for presence and/or location of IBD or pancreatic enzyme insufficiency...

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/assays/cPLI.shtml

k9diabetes 07-22-2008 09:12 PM

Gus' test results were good. The vet looked at the aspirates and didn't see anything he felt needed to be sent to a pathologist. Plus his Texas A&M GI Panel came out well also.

Cobolamin Test: 594 ng/L
- control range is 290-1499 = normal.

Folate Test: 9.6 microg/L
- control range is 9.7-21.6 =
consistent with proximal small intestinal disease (but not far off)

Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity (PLi): 6.7 microg/L
- control range is 4.1-12.9 = normal

Trypsin-like Immunoreactivity (TLi): 53.7 microg/L
- control range is 12-82 = normal.

So we're continuing his prednisolone/leukeran regimen. I can't tell if he feels any better but he doesn't seem to feel worse.

Denise 07-23-2008 02:17 PM

I am wishing you are able to say Gus is feeling better one day soon!

I found out Bogie's calcium is a bit high but not sure what to make of that. I asked for the test after talking to you when we thought it was stones. He is 10.7 and normal is 7-9.7.

If Gus isn't any worse then he is dealing with his meds well. Praying for a turn in how he feels!!!

k9diabetes 07-25-2008 10:05 PM

Gus seemed a little better the past couple of days, just about the time his poop issue developed. Today was all squirts and goo and he threw up once..... and apparently he wasn't too happy about it either cuz he bit the heel of my right hand... just to explain a few things to me. Apparently he didn't understand that I wasn't having the best day either.

Skipped his morning meal and meds and things have settled down so far.

Gus' system does this once in a while for no apparent reason. I'm hoping it's shortlived.

k9diabetes 08-25-2008 11:09 AM

I took Gus in today to have the doc look him over.

Gus had had several bouts of diarrhea related to food changes in July and August but has been getting his old diet for the past week.

That got rid of the diarrhea, which I very much appreciated... but he's hacking up a little clear fluid again, which is what he was doing just prior to his IBD/lymphoma diagnosis. So I think we will eventually have to change foods. Will tackle that after a brief trip we are taking next month.

The prednisolone for the IBD is making Gus Cushinoid... his hair hasn't grown back at all after the ultrasound in July and his belly needs a tomcat bra...

I don't like how much the meds seem to slow him down - doesn't play, doesn't want to be touched - so we're going to try reducing the prednisolone to every other day, alternating it with the leukeran to see if that perks him up any.

Also have to find a way to feed him without Katie stealing it. Gus is too thin and Katie has blimped out from stealing his food. He tends to pick at it throughout the day.

For his weepy eyes we are giving some idoxuridine (anti-viral) drops. Have some left over from Chris' viral eye problems. His eyes have been caking up constantly with reddish brown discharge.

Poor little guy's kind of a mess.

rhodesian46 08-27-2008 04:28 PM

Re: Kitty Gus IBD / Early Lymphoma

NAtalie,
You have your hands full helping us and Gus. You are a saint!!! Pebbles sends Gus a smooch as she thinks smooches will make him happy!
Marianne and Pebbles

Denise 08-29-2008 08:37 PM

Poor Gus!

I saw a product today that was an additive to use when you change their meals, enzymes, probiotics etc. to help with the new food adjustment.

I don't remember what you are feeding him but on the Feline Diabetes board they have listed the Fancy Feast foods that are the lowest in carbs and lots of them feed it. Enough variety, he might eat more?

Still praying for Gus. Hope the pred reduction helps!

When my FIV gets steroid shots he gets very antisocial and blah!

k9diabetes 09-18-2008 11:23 AM

Gus was pretty well behaved while we were gone... saved the explosive diarrhea until I came home! ;( I think he probably just had a few too many treats while we were away.

For now, I've put him on baby food (turkey and beef). First to deal with the diarrhea and now for the short term because he laps up as much as I will give him. That should help put a little more weight on him (he was stable between vet visits) and prevent Katie from snarfing up the other food, which he picked at. I had been putting some beef/gravy wet food over the Felidae dry and he would eat it but not sit down and just consume it the way he does the baby food.

After that... not sure. Fancy Feast is one possibility... both Gus and Katie have bad reactions to many foods so it's never easy to change what they're eating.

His fur is very thin over his back. A month ago the vet said we could cut the prednisolone back to every other day twice a day and on Monday he said we could go ahead and cut him back to every other day once a day. The first cut allowed him to grow a tiny bit of peach fuzz on his bare spots so I'm hoping another reduction will reduce his induced Cushings status enough that he can grow some fur back. He's pretty pathetic looking.

But no masses felt and no weight loss at the vet this Monday so that's good.

Natalie

Denise 09-18-2008 08:21 PM

I'm glad he is eating well and getting some hair and getting to reduce meds is always great!

They DO get to look pathetic, bony, thinning hair....just plain old.

I am feeding Bubba (cancer cat) a can of Fancy Feast every day with his meds in it, figure it keeps his calories up a bit and also doing this for the FIV cat. They won't eat the chunky or sliced ones though, learned that quickly.

How is he about wanting attention an how active is he? What does a good day look like for him?

k9diabetes 09-19-2008 10:20 PM

He's still somewhat lackluster but the first cut in the prednisolone dose helped and I think the second one will help even more. Plus he was pretty unhappy about the whole explosive diarrhea thing (for some reason, Gus doesn't do plain diarrhea, only explosive, splatter the... never mind!)

Active? Well, prediagnosis Gus had to be picked up out of his bed and deposited on the opposite side of the house so he would have to walk a little. That's still the case. So it's very difficult to measure changes in his zero activity level. He was very subdued at the vet but I think he feels better now that his system is back on track. I put some kibble in his kennel today after his baby food and he ate a fair amount of that too.

We had a canine visitor today at the front door and apparently Katie was NOT happy. She didn't run away, which is her usual response to strange people. Instead, she stood her ground, arched her back, and hissed.

It was one of our neighbors who used to always hear Chris bark in the backyard and came over to check because she hadn't heard him in so long. I wasn't home but she talked to Jeff and got the news of Chris' passing, just as she feared had happened. Her dog, Hairy, is a flat coated collie and was a buddy of Chris' when she came down to our driveway to get the mail.

Natalie