Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Hi everyone
    I'm new to this site, and looking for information on the best diet for Monty.
    Monty is a 13 yr old mini schnauzer, weighing 14 lbs. He was just diagnosed two weeks ago. We have him on Vetsulin 1.5 units twice a day. He goes for his blood work on Tuesday. Vet wants us to buy dog food from them, Prescription Diet W/D. I did some research online and from what I saw, that food has higher carbs and I question some of the ingredients. I am currently feeding him Beyond Diet - Grain free food, so I'm reluctant to change to a food with higher carbs.
    Has anyone done research on which is the best low carb food? I have two other schnauzers that are also fed Beyond Diet food that are not diabetic.

Thanks
    Julie and Monty

Comment

Hi Julie: sorry Monty is diabetic. Here is another schnauzer thread where a couple of schnauzer moms talk about diet needs. http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6626

Originally posted by Monty Gohl View Post
      Hi everyone
      I'm new to this site, and looking for information on the best diet for Monty.
      Monty is a 13 yr old mini schnauzer, weighing 14 lbs. He was just diagnosed two weeks ago. We have him on Vetsulin 1.5 units twice a day. He goes for his blood work on Tuesday. Vet wants us to buy dog food from them, Prescription Diet W/D. I did some research online and from what I saw, that food has higher carbs and I question some of the ingredients. I am currently feeding him Beyond Diet - Grain free food, so I'm reluctant to change to a food with higher carbs.
      Has anyone done research on which is the best low carb food? I have two other schnauzers that are also fed Beyond Diet food that are not diabetic.

Thanks
      Julie and Monty
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Name, breed: Luna, 10 month old Great Dane
        Weight: 83 lbs and growing
        Diet: main food is Blue Wilderness Adult Large Breed Salmon, mix some fresh salmon or Hills W/D (she gets fed 3 cups twice a day); green beans, broccoli, and carrots for snacks
        Insulin: Novalin N
        Units per injection: Currently at a range of 10-15 units 2x a day.
        Brand of BG meter: AlphaTrak 2
        Other info: Luna was diagnosed at 12 weeks old. It's been harder on me than her I think. But she is now healthy and happy. Considering her breed and age, it's a constant job of monitoring to know how much insulin she needs. She was spayed in July and that's changed everything again. I'm so fully committed to giving her the best life possible though.
        Myriah
        Luna, 10 month old Great Dane, diagnosed around 12 weeks. Insulin is Novalin N. Blue Wilderness adult large breed salmon recipe with tuna, salmon or egg. Treats are carrots, green beans, and broccoli.

Comment

Luigie age 14 as of Dec 5 2016 Schnauzer med weighs 21 lbs

Diagnosed Sept 1 2016 started 2.5 insulin now up to 15 NPH insulin twice a day using 100 unit needles Have been taking him 3 x a week for vet to check levels Everytime insulin has been increased I have become very worried

He is on a precriptive diet first 6 days on can food but hated it would no eat alone so I added boiled chicken breast fat free, cooked carrots even a little brown rice I give him 4oz 6:30 am 6:30 pm then the shot He generally eats between 2 1/2 & 3oz rarely 4oz but sometimes

He seems disorinented all the time He best behavior was at 10.cc but test were high always over 300/500 range Be going on 3 weeks Tuesday when he goes back at $180 a week I can't afford that and required to pay up front I'm a retired senior on SS He had been diagnosed with pancreitis had an attack last sept, Feb 2016 another in March Had first only seizure May 5 Sept 1 after 2 days of not being aright hind end would fail he went to vet test has diabeties. At one point last Sept it was suspected he had cushings but at no time in visits was he ever tested for that I have read up on all of what he has or supsected to have All seem to be connected I'm afraid insulin or at least this kind is not effective for him Can you offer an opinion if phone call would be better let me know Thank you for your time Mary Luigies mom

Comment

Name and breed: Bella, corgi/beagle mix
            Weight: 36 lbs
            Diet: 1/2 cup Merrick grain-free kibble, cup of cooked meat, tsp plain yogurt, 1/2 tsp coconut oil, 1/2 T PetVi supplement. (Just started the last 3 this week; Bella has skin issues and has been chewing on herself obsessively - she currently wears a Zen cone. No indication yet if the extras are helping.) She's not a big fan of eating kibble.
            (Oh, that's all for one meal - she eats 2x a day)
            Insulin: Vetsulin, but we're going to transition her over to Novolin N next week.
            Units: 11 units
            Brand meter: I'm just starting out on home testing. Right now using my own glucose meter (Walgreen's True Trak)
            Other Info: I really have no idea from her behavior when her sugar is high or low. When she was diagnosed, she'd lost 10 lbs in three months, was hungry all the time and drinking water excessively. She's put back on all the weight (which I think is too much). She's normally very low key anyway, so can't tell when she's normal or being lethargic. Diagnosed 12/14.
            Bella is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi/beagle mix, 10 years old, diabetic since 12/14. Now on 9 units of Novolin N after being on Vetsulin. We feed her grain-free Merrick with lean, cooked meat and PetVi supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by Luigiesmom View Post
              Luigie age 14 as of Dec 5 2016 Schnauzer med weighs 21 lbs

Diagnosed Sept 1 2016 started 2.5 insulin now up to 15 NPH insulin twice a day using 100 unit needles Have been taking him 3 x a week for vet to check levels Everytime insulin has been increased I have become very worried

He is on a precriptive diet first 6 days on can food but hated it would no eat alone so I added boiled chicken breast fat free, cooked carrots even a little brown rice I give him 4oz 6:30 am 6:30 pm then the shot He generally eats between 2 1/2 & 3oz rarely 4oz but sometimes

He seems disorinented all the time He best behavior was at 10.cc but test were high always over 300/500 range Be going on 3 weeks Tuesday when he goes back at $180 a week I can't afford that and required to pay up front I'm a retired senior on SS He had been diagnosed with pancreitis had an attack last sept, Feb 2016 another in March Had first only seizure May 5 Sept 1 after 2 days of not being aright hind end would fail he went to vet test has diabeties. At one point last Sept it was suspected he had cushings but at no time in visits was he ever tested for that I have read up on all of what he has or supsected to have All seem to be connected I'm afraid insulin or at least this kind is not effective for him Can you offer an opinion if phone call would be better let me know Thank you for your time Mary Luigies mom
              HELLO LUIGIS mom

HOW is LUIGI doing??

you can post in the diabetes forum for a reply.

HOPE all is well

MO
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Name: Duke
                Weight: 15 lbs.
                Breed: Bishon Frise
                Age today: 11 years, 3 month (age when diagnosed: 7 years old)
                Insulin: Levemir
                Dose: 3.5 units, every 12 hours (am and pm)
                Exercise: Two 1/4 to 1/2 mile walks/day
                Diet: 1/4 cup wet W/D, 1/4 cup cooked chicken breast, 1 jar Gerbers baby food (strained beef)= 1 meal, two times a day.
                Meter: AlphaTrak 2 - home testing
                Challenges: Cataracts in both eyes have been surgically replaced (2 years ago). Current diagnosis of either Pancreatitis and/or Hepatitis. On Clavimox and Baytril, added SAMe for liver health. ALT and ASP (liver enzymes are extremely elevated). Has some neuropathy (weakness in hind legs) that started this morning.
                Idea: I want a website and app to use and log glucose, food, dates and times delivered and interpretive analysis of the readings. I am willing and able to create something like this - would others find this helpful?
                Thank you and appreciate any feedback or help to create comfort and wonderful life for my Duke

Thank you

Comment

Buddy
                  Black Labrador retriever
                  9.5 years old, 73.4 pounds
                  Eating Hills W/d 2 cups twice a day
                  Levemir 3 units every 12 hours
                  Using ketodiastix for monitoring

Comment

HANSEL
                    (lost BLACK MAGIC in 2010)
                    Miniature Schnauzer
                    6 1/2 y.o., 17.3#
                    Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight - 1/2 cp morn w/banana/Cheerios; 1/2cp nite w/raw carrots/no-salt green beans
                    Diagnosed 2/1/17, started Vetsulin 4 units 2x/day, increased to 5, then 5.5, now 6 units 2x/day
                    Using Alphatrak2 and Ketodiastix (dark brown, 2+%, not good)
                    Alpha tracker results 2/25/17:
                    7a feed/inject 348
                    9a 246
                    12:30p. 332
                    2:30. 229
                    4:30. 437?/353
                    5:30 feed/inject
                    Lost 1# since diagnosis, take samples at upper lip smeared with Vaseline, tolerates well, concerned with sometimes erratic readings from Alphatrak i.e. yesterday at 2:30p got 229/225 successive readings but at 4:30p got 437/353 so question my technique?
                    Last edited by bontemp; 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM. Reason: Add - lost 1# since diagnosis, have trouble with Alphatrak

Comment

Jessie, a 15 pounds poodle at 8 years old.
                      Diagnosed May 2016
                      Caninsulin...3 units twice a day
                      Meter...One Touch Verio Flex
                      Exercise....3 times a day (15-30-15 minutes)
                      Dog Food....homemade boiled grAss fed chicken, turkey or beef.... changed to 1/2 cup Ruby's Stevie twice daily
                      Treats ...2 homemade beef jerky
                      Challenge.....Glucose too spiky...was up to 12 units daily one month ago, now 6 daily and curves still spikes
                      Last edited by Goaway; 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM. Reason: Changed diet thanks to this forum

Comment

Daisy
                        Mini Schnauzer
                        9 yo
                        21.8 lbs
                        Diagnosed 1/20/17
                        Novolin N 4 units every 12 hours
                        Alphatrak2/ Pet Advocate/ ReliOn Prime meters

45g chicken breast, 80g chana dal, 50g green beans, 25g Hills Perfect Weight, 2 tbs pumpkin every 12 hours.
                        Last edited by Daisydog10; 01-06-2018, 04:49 AM.
                        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Taylor Emery is our beautiful 18 pound, 9 year old Jack Russel. We learned just today that she is diabetic. Will take her to our first injection lesson this afternoon. she was on Prednisone for a few years, due to her itching. It helped. But, I have learned it may have also helped her get this disease. Feel guilty. But, will now do the best that we can for her.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Oliver, Polish Lowland Sheepdog (polski owczarek nizinny)
                            Dog's weight: 50
                            Diet: 1 Cup CANIDAE Life Stages All Life Stages Formula Dry Dog Food at 6am and 6pm.
                            Insulin: Vetsulin
                            Number of units per injection and injections per day: 15 units, 2x a day (with food)
                            Brand of BG meter if home testing: Alphatrak II

Diagnosed Oct 2016 at age 8.
                            Regulated to 15 units Vetsulin Jan 2017. Currently (June 2017) back down to 13 units and re testing to see if he should go back up.
                            Oliver - Polski Owczarek Nizinny (PON, aka Polish Lowland Sheepdog) Weighs 51lbs, Eats Canidae. Stubborn as hell. Love him so. Diagnosed October 2016. Regulated January 2017. Currently on 14 units of Vetsulin twice a day .

Comment

Diet: 6 am - Royal Canin Gastrotestinal kibble (1 cup) with a teaspoon of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal canned, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin, herb mixture for elevated liver enzymes and 1 squirt of salmon oil; 6 pm - Royal Canin Gastrointestinal kibble (1 cup) with a teaspoon of canned
                              Insulin: 17 units Humulin N after meal
                              Meter: Alpha Track II
                              Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Looks like I never posted here, so I'll post for other's reference.

Name: Jinx
                                Weight: ~73 lbs.
                                Breed: Rottweiler
                                Lived to 13.5 years. Diagnosed at 10 years, 5 months.
                                Insulin: Novolin N
                                Dose: Increased as she got older. Started at 14u, then was around 17 for a while. Was at 19-21 in her last six months or so. Twice a day.
                                Exercise: A few 1/2 mile or so walks when able. In her last year we would just go for short walks based on where she wanted to go. Once her vision was pretty much gone, she didn't like leaving the usual path.
                                Diet: Royal Canin Renal Support A for most of the time after diagnosis.
                                Meter: AlphaTrak 2. Checked before every meal and if we suspected low BG.
                                Other Meds: She consistently took Enalapril for her kidneys, Soloxine for thyroid, and Famotidine for her stomach. Various supplements over the years - Glycoflex was probably the most constant.

Challenges: As noted, she also had kidney disease and bouts of pancreatitis so we were usually trying to prioritize what to focus treatment on. My vet did research on diets for a dog with multiple issues, and there isn't much out there. The Renal Support A wasn't her favorite food, but seemed to be OK for the diabetes.

She was also tough to regulate. She would have stretches where her BG would be in a good pattern, but then it was spike and be tough to knock down. Maybe it was some other issue causing a reaction. I'd increase the dose a bit and I'd adjust again when it started showing signs of going back down again.

She developed cataracts pretty quickly, but still seemed like she could see shadows or something for a while and she clearly navigated by smell for the most part. Walking to a sidewalk we didn't usually use led her to be very cautious of taking a step forward, but if we stayed on our usual path she was good and knew when we got across the street from the house.

Comment

Working...
                                X