Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New member Snowball

we enjoy positive updates

Its amazing looking back how panicked we were and how we were going to be able to do this

We figure it out and live in the new reality and it can be as rewarding as life was before if not better
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Unfortunately things have gotten worse again. I'm not really sure what's wrong. She gets same amount of food twice a day. Her readings aren't bad. Under 300 almost all day. Really about the same as they were when she was doing fine. Now though she is getting numb again and after she eats it takes like an hour or more after the shot before she can walk.

Comment

Is snowball in any pain after eating ? any other symptoms ? How are the stools any vomiting urinating ok ?

What do you mean about getting numb
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Nothing really. I get her home from work and she can't really move. We hand fed her past couple nights around 630 and then she gets shot at 7. Around 830 she can move again. During the day she is having trouble with her back legs and early in the morning say around 830am she falls on her face a bit.

Comment

can you correlate anything with this episode to the previous episode ?

I always look for commonality with a returning problem in jesse or even me .

Comment

No it's basically like the insulin isn't lasting quite long enough. At least during the day. I have two bottles and both are the same. Levels seem fine as well although they creep higher than I'd like end of day but they are around 150 low and then in 200s a good amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by robl45 View Post
                No it's basically like the insulin isn't lasting quite long enough. At least during the day. I have two bottles and both are the same. Levels seem fine as well although they creep higher than I'd like end of day but they are around 150 low and then in 200s a good amount of time.
                I would tend not to think its anything to do with blood sugar with what you posted at 150 to 200s for most of the day . It sounds neurological in nature which can be difficult to figure and may need some expertise in that department . Some have used vitamin b for leg weakness but i dont know how effective that is

so snowball is in no pain ? No unusual panting ?

Comment

She was just 198. Her behavior corresponds with her levels throughout the day.

Comment

Some recent readings using walmart relion meter. She has been walking around all day although you can tell she is a bit numb in the back. I took her out around 2:30pm probably and she was walking. Now at this last reading, I stand her up and she basically just falls down. She will stay like this until probably 8:30 or 9pm till her shot at 7pm works its way through.

Feb 19th Feb 20th 2019 Feb 21st 2019
                    6:15am 347 6:15am 233
                    9:20am 147 9:30am 191
                    11:15am 204 11:10am 150 12PM 280
                    1:15PM 284 130pm 220 2PM 264
                    4PM 324 5PM 347 4pm 298

Feb 22nd
                    6:15am 172
                    9am 244
                    11am 162
                    1pm 205
                    3:24pm 301

Comment

That does sound neurological or perhaps pain/weakness rather than blood sugar.

I've been involved with diabetic dogs for... 15 years now... and what I've seen with diabetic neuropathy is that it typically occurs in one of two cases:

- very high blood sugar - 500s, 600s - sustained over weeks

- lower levels of blood sugar like you have when there is another underlying problem with communication over the spinal cord

In the second case, the blood sugar seems to overlay an existing deficit so has an effect at much lower levels.

Weakness from arthritis is another possibility.

Does she knuckle her back paws under? Or just kind of collapses?

GP vets typically can do only a very basic test of proprioception and often don't know how to interpret it accurately. If it doesn't seem to be from pain or joint weakness, I strongly urge you to consult with a veterinary neurologist if at all possible. There is much they can tell just from a physical exam - many little tests they do can isolate what kind of problem is occurring and where.

We have worked with veterinary neurologists and have seen other diabetic dogs here on the forum and they were well worth the cost of a consult.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                        I would tend not to think its anything to do with blood sugar with what you posted at 150 to 200s for most of the day . It sounds neurological in nature which can be difficult to figure and may need some expertise in that department . Some have used vitamin b for leg weakness but i dont know how effective that is

so snowball is in no pain ? No unusual panting ?

My Roxy is a bigger dog 80lb boxer but she was doing almost the same thing. She would start walking and fall over had a very hard time getting up. You could tell it was her back hips. I thought I was going to have to put her down.. well I was told to start her on

gnc methyl b12

It could only come from gnc. She takes two pills a day and she is doing so much better. We started her about a year ago on those.

Comment

So she got her shot at 7pm last night with her food and this morning at 8:30am she was walking around like a normal dog. Fed her at 8:30am and gave her the shot and almost immediately after eating she can't walk. I literally pick her up and she just falls down like her legs are jello. This happens each time she eats. Last night about 3 hours after she got the shot she was walking around. Previously a number of months ago she was doing this but it was almost constant for most of the time until we got her food to a consistent portion and then her numbers stayed basically in the 1 to 200 range. Her numbers are in this range now and I'm kind of lost at what to do. Obviously the food is spiking the blood sugar way up, but why didn't this cause a problem for november December and January?

Comment

So you are seeing the loss of the ability to walk after eating and insulin shot

what kind of numbers are you seeing with these episodes ? Its kind of like jesse when she had grand mal seizures from epilepsy . completely incapacitated for 10 or 15 minutes and then normal a half hour later . The way i looked at her seizures was triggers that would cause them and loud booms were a trigger for her

Now for snowball you are looking at triggers for this episode. It happens at meal and shot time . So is it possible snowball is having a reaction to the shot and or insulin ? Is food a problem ? When jesse had pancreatitis meal time could be a painful time and last could blood sugar be a problem for that you may need blood sugar at 500 or higher or low sugar below maybe 50

You have to eliminate pain as a problem and may need pain medication to determine that by giving snowball pain meds and see if the episode occur or does it lesson it . Another factor is it a struggle to feed snowball ?

You have commonality, shot and food time . now you need to figure what in that commonality is triggering that episode

Comment

I think it's mostly the eating. Normally in the morning I feed her and she gets the shot like 45 minutes later when I leave. I been trying to give it to her at same time as food to see if that might help. It does not appear to be. I have her 3.75 last night and this morning instead of 3.5. At 230pm she read 150 or so. None of the reading seem crazy. She just eats and then can't move for awhile.

Comment

So you probably eliminated that it has anything to do with blood sugar and diabetes

You believe the trigger of the episode is directly correlated to eating but are you sure its numbness and not pain . If there is pain or discomfort after eating its probably a digestive issue if not it maybe neurological in nature but why would the act of eating cause that which you would think would happen at any time ?

Comment

Working...
                                X