View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Diagnosed today - lots of confusion and questionable veterinary visit/info

Do you have or can you get the latest curve from the vet and post it

2.5 units would be a normal starting dose for your dogs weight so 4 is not unusually high . Actually they say a dog doesnt have insulin resistance until the dose would match their weight which would be 12 units in your pups case

My jesse only gets one meal a day because that lead her to regulation . The only way that could be done was the testing sugar at home .

Its hard to say how your routine works you have no information on blood sugar . You just have symptoms of high sugar and you cant be sure that is the case so your kind of drawing at straws

So post that curve before your raised to 4 units . That may not be a true reflection because he did not receive the snacks throughout the day at the vets office

More than likely the extra food is not helping and could be making things worse with the vicious cycle of high sugar causing the extra food to not even utilized by the body but this is just speculation on my part

Regulation usually is not very difficult if you stick to the program . All the symptoms will lessen and go away . You probably have made this more difficult than it has to be

I remember my vet thought I was cruel testing my jesse on the lip . I thought isnt it more cruel to let my dog suffer from diabetes so I continued what i was doing testing her on the lip and she is still hear after 9.5 years of managing the disease
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number