My dog is vomiting & not wanting to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is vomiting & not wanting to eat

I'm pretty new here and am looking for anyone with some knowledge on what to do. Vet is coming tonight. My 14 yr old min. aussie has had a setback. She had a unine infection and has been on antibiotics (she was peeing up a storm but Blood sugar was fine). She had been vomiting off and on so I took her off them (3 days shy of 2 weeks) because I thought she was vomiting from them. It was primarily at night. Today she vomited 3 times during day (nothing in her stomach) and doesn't want to eat. Got something down her earlier but not as much as she normally eats (have been feeding her boiled chicken and rice). However, my husband did give her insulin today.. so I think she is also reacting to too much insulin. Saw her shaking terribly a couple hours ago. I tried to feed her chicken but she wouldn't eat.. also eggs.. finally I made french toast with syrup which she ate a little. She also ate 2 squares of American cheese. The shaking stopped. She has been throwing up off and on for the past couple weeks. Vet did do a complete blood panel and nothing terrible .. so I think that is good. Just not sure what I can make her that she'll eat .. or should I just leave her alone until she gets hungry? I hope the Vet can tell me what to do. She looks so sad and lethargic.

Re: My dog is vomiting & not wanting to eat

Has your vet done a fecal to rule out giardia / parasite infestation? Your dog can have gastritis, and perhaps needs Flagyl or Tylan to calm down upset stomach?

Comment

Your dog can also have upset stomach from antibiotics (ulcer for example). You can give Pepcid as well as some carafate.

Comment

has the vet checked for pancreatitis

have you thought about home testing it is such a great tool when things get out of whack and your not guessing as far as blood sugar and just going by physical signs

welcome to both of you and hope things improve
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by janecj View Post
          However, my husband did give her insulin today.. so I think she is also reacting to too much insulin. Saw her shaking terribly a couple hours ago. I tried to feed her chicken but she wouldn't eat.. also eggs.. finally I made french toast with syrup which she ate a little. She also ate 2 squares of American cheese. The shaking stopped.
          Welcome to the forum, altho' I wish it wasn't for such a situation as you seem to have!

On the surface, it does sound like a hypo incident, but as HarrysMom indicated, you will want to rule out other possibilities. Home testing for BG readings would help alot because it would let us know if she was actually low or not.

Watching and hoping for good news,

Mary
          Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
          Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
          Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
          Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I'm no expert - but if you're dog will not eat then NO INSULIN. Your dog could have a serious, life-threatening hypo incident with no food and insulin.

My dog suffers from pancreatitis and it can be dangerous. Be glad to hear what is going on when your Vet gets there.

Comment

When she was shaking, she most likely had very low blood sugar and should have been given some karo or pancake syrup right away to bring her blood sugar up, followed by some food for sustained glucose.

When you suspect low blood sugar that is bad enough to cause shaking, seizures or worse could follow so you want to act quickly to bring up the blood sugar.

Food like chicken can take quite a while to digest before it gets converted to blood sugar. Syrup, though, doesn't have to be digeested. The body can absorb the glucose directly through the capillaries into the blood and what goes into the stomach also goes almost immediately into the blood.

So syrup will prevent it from dropping any further and keep it higher while some food will generate sugar later after the quick burst of glucose from the syrup wears off. Some folks like to use bread with some peanut butter on it - a combination of carbs and protein.

I know when our dog was given an antibiotic that didn't agree with him, he threw up before meals rather than after and the throwing up took about 36 hours to fully subside after we took him off of the antibiotic.

I'm really glad the vet will see your girl tonight. There are a number of possibilities - GI distress whether from the antibiotic or something else (though I think it would have shown up sooner if it was a direct reaction to the antibiotic), pancreatitis, ketones if her blood sugar has been running higher than normal, even something like dizziness could cause nausea.

I prefer to fast a dog who is throwing up for a day or so, which can be done with a diabetic dog by giving them no food and a small amount of insulin. Usually no more than 1/4 of the dose you would give with food to start. Only about half of the insulin goes to food related glucose. The other half (approximately) goes to the 24-hour-a-day baseline need for blood sugar to get into the cells.

A break for the digestive system helps things rest and reset. But if throwing up continues for more than a day, I always feel like it's vet time.

Natalie

Comment

Glad the vet is coming tonight. Hope your dog's tum can be settled!

I'll be watching for your reports, and cheering you on.

All best wishes,
                Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:09:46 (PST)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

Anxious to hear how the Vet appointment went last night?????? Hoping everything is okay.

Pam

Comment

Speaking of incidents ... Otis pitched his breakfast about an hour after his shot and food this morning. This is a first for him. Probably happened because he didn't particularly want to eat this am, and I "enticed" him with some of his chicken jerky. Probably fed him 2 strips, several Alpo VarietySnaps and his chicken thigh. Wanted something in his tummy and figured "junk food" is better than no food. I think all that jerky was too much for an empty stomach. UP IT CAME!

Put me into panic mode. He had his 11U of insulin and an empty stomach!

Luckily his appetite didn't "shut down" totally and about an hour after the vomit episode, I rolled some "white bread / cheddar cheese" balls and forced two down his throat. Saw he appeared to be hungry so I peeled and diced one of his hard boiled eggs ... and, he ate it. Gave him a bit more "junk food" (snaps) ... and, am hoping he keeps this down. Be keeping a close eye on him for a while ...

Did a bit of research this AM after he puked, and learned hard boiled eggs are one of the items recommended for an upset stomach.

Score one more for the HBE's!
                    Last edited by farrwf; 11-09-2011, 08:49 AM.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                    X