Thread: Pippi's Story
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Pippi's Story

Thanks so much for your responses. These thoughts have helped.

I have made a vet appointment for tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. I’m getting comprehensive blood work done and am also going to bring in a urine sample in case something is going wrong there.

Also, thanks, Jessie Girl, for your post. It makes me feel better that someone else has experienced what we might be experiencing with a new insulin bottle. I didn’t wait three months to change with this last one. Two months this time before changing. Good riddance! But this morning 538! Ahhhh!

I had a long talk with the Walmart pharmacist about Pippi’s blood glucose several days ago and also told him about this forum. He was really helpful. Since I didn’t have a backup glucometer, I mentioned to him that some people in this forum used Relion glucometers as I felt I needed a backup to make sure my PetTest one was reading right. He said that the Relion was a good glucometer even though it wasn’t as expensive as some of the others.

In the little amount of time that I’ve used it (about 3 days or so), I noticed it is “reliably” about 80 to 85 points off the PetTest glucometer when I tested both, which is great. Thank goodness, my shipment of PetTest strips came in today, but I was confident enough with the Relion that if the shipment hadn’t come in, I’d have still known her approximate glucose levels.

Here is her blood glucose levels today (9-22-20). After the 1st reading at 7:30 a.m., it wasn’t bad:

7:30 am – 538 PetTest Glucometer
452 Relion Glucometer
walked her about 2 1/2 blocks.

10 am – 178 Relion Glucometer
Didn’t test with PetTest as I only had 1 left and didn’t know when the new batch would come in, but figured it would have read around 263

12:25 p.m. – 178 Pet Test Glucometer – my strips had come in! Woo Hoo!

2:35 p.m. – 165 Pet Test

6:15 p.m. – 245 Pet Test

Then gave her normal daily walk – but there was a terrible lightening thunderstorm so we had to run home! Ahhhhh!

7:15 p.m. 364 Pet Test -- You have NO IDEA how happy I was with that reading! It wasn’t in the 500s, even though not ideal! I fed her and gave her 4 units. We will see what happens now.

----------------------------------------------------
Jesse Girl, I think you are right about me running her around the block and throwing glucose levels off. I recently have thought that myself, but I freak out when her blood glucose levels are so high. I thought that if I just ran her around 1 block instead of our normal walk, maybe that would be ok. But she isn’t in a “routine” when I do that. Routine is the key, I know.

She has been a diagnosed diabetic now for 16 months and can still see really good. I want so badly to help her and for her to keep her sight that I freak out when I see those high numbers. All I can think of is that if she has numbers like that, she is going to go blind.

I’ll do what you said for a week and see what happens, even though it will be hard for me if her glucose levels are high!