Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mochi has damaged his eye...worried

Well I think your getting ahead of yourself in anticipating what blood sugar will do and medication may not be a big affect on sugar . Temporarily higher sugar usually does not affect dogs . From being on the forum medication doesnt seem to have a huge affect on sugar .
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: Mochi has damaged his eye...worried

Ok thank you..I will not adjust anything for now.

Poor guy is exhausted from barely being able to sleep. We wake him up every hour to do drops..hes so tired he stopped fighting us while we try putting the drops in.

I really hope his eye heals..
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Anyone have any recommendations to a hypoallergenic food that's low in fat?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/dog-f...-fda-1.5199186

I have read on the news again with the grain free dog foods causing heart disease..
        I am very concerned even though the brand of food mochi is eating isn't listed on there it's still grain free..

I know some of you have dogs that also have high triglycerides..is there anything you can reccomend?
        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: Anyone have any recommendations to a hypoallergenic food that's low in fat?

Also...has anyone ever heard of this hilarys blend?
          My vet technician friend recommended it for me to start doing home made meals for mochi. It comes will the full nutritional value supplements to mix in the home made meals.

http://completeandbalanced.com/samplerecipepage.html
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: Anyone have any recommendations to a hypoallergenic food that's low in fat?

I have gave jesse a homemade meal her entire diabetic life . I added supplements but i removed them for the most part except calcium from grind up egg shells and i have been giving her milk thistle for the last year . I also give her a vitabone which is kind of a vitamin for her .

Now jesse gets no grain in her homemade diet except for maybe the vitabone

My opinion if there is a problem with commercial dog food its maybe because its processed . Human processed foods they say is not the healthiest diet

I dont see how grain free is a problem or having grain is a problem

I think we get a bit nutty with the whole thing
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Can I get any recipes you use for your dogs home made meal? I need something that is low in fat and also hypoallergenic for mochi..I have told my vet to order me the supplement mix to put in the home made food.

I am really stuck on how much to feed him and how to portion off the protein and veggies and others.
              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

jesse is a 26 pound beagle and i give her 2 medium hard boiled eggs . a third cup of skinless chicken ,third of a cup of pinto beans ,a third of a cup of vegies ,
                ( I grind up in a processor kale broccoli ,carrots ,tomatoes bokchoy ,beets and sometimes other things cooked ) . A third of a cup of sweet potato yams and a quarter cup of canned mackerel ( she really likes that which is the cat in her ) . I dont count calories or weigh her food as for jesse thats not that critical . Just keep it consistent . Now she only gets one meal a day . The only supplement i give her is grind up egg shells and milk thistle . She gets a vita bone snack in the morning which is kind of like giving her a multivitamin

She enjoys her dinner and gobbles it up .

hope that helps

Comment

• anyone giving your diabetic dog glucosamine?

Hi all...

Things just keep snowballing for me and mochi..
                  He's still getting aggressive treatment for his eye because the bacteria is underneath his healed cornea and it will not budge..so now he has to start Oral antibiotics to try and get rid of it..

But I've also noticed him limping the past couple of days during the morning when he gets up. Then he walks it off and he's ok again...I'm getting worried its a sign of arthritis so I'm thinking of giving him glucosamine. I read that it's not very good for dogs with diabetes because it is a form of sugar..
                  Do any of you give your dogs glucosamine or anything for arthritis that's safe for dogs with diabetes?

Thank you
                  On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: anyone giving your diabetic dog glucosamine?

I think there are brands that are packaged without sugar . I think Mike is giving his Lilly cbd oil .

I would not be in a rush to do anything unless it becomes an established pattern . Limping can be many different things other than arthritis

Comment

I give Lily Dasuquin with MSM and CBD oil for her arthritis. Neither seem to cause any problems with her BG.

Like jesse girl said, maybe wait a bit to see if he gets better.
                      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                      Diabetes: Aug 2013
                      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Just a thought
                        A probiotic might help his stomach because of the bacteria and antibiotics
                        Mochi might be having stomach issues in the mornings causing the lag
                        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike! I still have a bottle of cbd that was for my other dog..he just passed so I can potentially give that to mochi if it is.

I'll keep an eye out for any limping. I dont think it mochi is having stomach issues. He was limping 2 days before he started taking the antibiotics. I'm just hoping these antibiotics will clear the bacterial infection in his eye..its been 2 weeks and not getting any better.
                          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Snickers had arthritis and I used to give her Ark Naturals sea Mobility Joint Rescue squares. She really liked the taste of them and you can break them into small pieces. They have glucosamine, chondrotin and msm in them. They did not seem to affect her glucose levels.

https://www.arknaturals.com/product/...-joint-rescue/

I would talk to your vet about options. There is a lot out there to help dogs with arthritis now. And don't forget non medicinal options like exercise, heat, massage and stretching.
                            Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Thank you LizE

I'm really hoping he doesnt have arthritis..seeing me chihuahua that just passed suffer with it really made me sad. Mochi seemed like he limps in the morning for a bit and then hes ok again.

Do you guys remember how your dogs started getting arthritis? I don't remember how my old chihuahua developed it..but it hit him hard when he tore his ligament on his knee..
                              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Dogs are very good at hiding pain. We don't recognize the problem in dogs until it reaches a tipping point. If your dog is limping a little in the morning something is not right.

One of the vet schools (Wisconsin?) is researching if dogs are more prone to tearing their leg ligaments because arthritis is ALREADY present as opposed to the conventional wisdom that says dogs develop arthritis AFTER the ligament injury.

Towards the end Snickers just started falling over one day. It was because her arthritis had advanced so much - it didn't just happen overnight - she was good at pretending she was ok. People would comment all the time how great she got around and couldn't believe how old she was when all along she had serious problems.

Anti inflammatories helped her a lot I just wish we had been more aggressive in treating her from the start. An x-ray taken for a non-arthritis diagnosis 2 months before she died showed joint damage on her spine. We knew her leg was a problem but we had no idea about the rest of her. I feel terrible about it.
                                Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X