Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

excellent mike
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks Kathy and jesse girl. There’s so much good stuff there. One thing though on the ideal blood glucose range... the shape of the curve doesn’t matter. You just want to have your dog in that range for most of the day Sounds easy, but it takes time and patience to get there and to keep them there.
      Last edited by MikeMurphy; 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

That is a great visual! And I concur with the ranges described. Thanks!!

Natalie

Comment

Well, Lily’s crusty bacterial skin infection has returned, along with a bacterial ear infection The dermatologist treated her prior infections topically, so this time around, she is also getting antibiotics. She goes back in 2 weeks for a recheck.

Looking at her here, you’d think she was fine. But the skin infection is on her abdomen and chest.

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

that is surprising being later in fall but i see the grass is still pretty green where your at mike so maybe the creepy crawly things are still out there

hope for a quick recovery
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Lilly's fortunate to have an attentive dad watching out for her. Nice job, Mike.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

You might look locally for this Shampoo we carry - it is called Aroma Paws Rosemary and Tea Tree Shampoo. It is for skin yeast infections and it does a great job. It will dry them out a bit so you wouldn’t want to use it daily. There is also a coat spray. Just thought I would mention it because it has helped a lot of dogs.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks Amy! Looks like it also helps with bacterial infections. She’s currently on a prescription shampoo and 2 antibiotics and is improving. I’ll give the Aroma Paws a try once she gets back to normal.

Comment

After 3 weeks on Cephalexin and Rifampin, Lily’s crusty skin infections have cleared up and the hair on her chest and abdomen is growing back

She goes for her second follow up exam in a week. The vet doesn’t charge for follow up visits, which is nice. One of the antibiotics can cause liver issues, so we have blood work done on each follow up.

Christmas is a few days away, so Merry Christmas to all...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

very cute that lily Christmas card

mike your a great advocate and caretaker for lily but most of all a good friend to her looking after her needs

hope things continue to get better and stay that way

merry Christmas

Comment

Great news Mike, it's nice when drugs do their job.
                        Any idea what caused the skin issues?
                        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Jesse girl... Thanks.

Raysaint... She never had skin infections until around a year ago, when she got sarcoptic mange and its concurrent infections. I think she picked it up from a pack of coyotes that roam the fields next to our house. One of the bacteria was resistant to the antibiotics she was given, but eventually cleared up with an ointment. That same bacterial infection returned in September, the ointment wasn’t working, so the vet put her on 2 different antibiotics. It seems to have worked.

She gets a monthly application of Revolution to kill and prevent the sarcoptic mange mites.

I’m pretty sure that her immune system has been weakened because of her diabetes and hypothyroidism, making it harder for her to fight infections.
                          Last edited by MikeMurphy; 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I learned a new trick today. Every now and then, in the morning, Lily will push her bowl around the kitchen floor and try to bury her food.

This morning, after pushing the bowl around and trying to flip it over, I poured her food onto a paper plate and, voilà, she immediately ate it all. I guess changing things up a bit can work

Evenings are never a problem.
                            Last edited by MikeMurphy; 01-27-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

good idea mike

its the little things that can make are lives so much easier

Comment

Nothing diabetes related to report, but Lily was giving me the Setter ‘stink eye’ this morning. She’s probably wondering when this snow is going to stop

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X