Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diabetic Rottweiler/Meter & Curves

Tim,

I just want to follow up what Natalie discussed. My newfie is 125 pounds and is currently on 15.25-15.5 (day / night) units of insulin. Spirit definitely was honeymooning in the beginning since his dose was only 11 units for a long time. I know it's hard to get your head around the fact that LOWER insulin indeed can give you lower numbers.....I can attest that it did in my case.

When he came home from the vet on 17 units within days he was down to 15, a few weeks later he was down to 11 where he stayed for at least 4 months. I truly believe his pancreas had time to "heal" a bit and continue to produce insulin. My guy may still be honeymooning a bit because it is the only thing I can think of that would explain such a low dose for such a large dog.

I also noted that indeed we needed to wait at least 3 days between dose changes.....sometimes on the 4th day of an increase or decrease I would get my best numbers. Again, hard to understand but true. It has been 8 months since diagnosis and I believe it has only been in the last 10 days that I am getting close to good regulation. For us that is keeping his BG between 100-225 most of the day and night. He will still throw me some lows and highs but it is becoming less frequent.

I just wanted to chime in as another large dog owner. Spirit is obviously sensitive to insulin because a half unit increase or decrease makes a BIG difference for him. Best of luck and keep up the good work. Once you get your strips you will be able to paint a better picture just to make sure that low is really the LOW of the day. Many days I've tested spirit a dozen times just to get a clear picture.
    Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Hi Timothy, would love to hear how Dutch is doing if you have a minute.
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Ok thanks Natalie & Jim. Yes Ruby dutch has been doing ok, he has had a few lows, been giving him 3-4 cups of food, I think that kept him from going below 100 but kept his highs in the 300's.

Comment

Glad to hear that Dutch is not seeing any more lows. You are doing a great job with him! Holli
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Update on Dutch:

He's been doing really good. Had a couple times where it got to high, had a time when it got low. The other day it was almost perfect. Taking it day by day.

Comment

excellent news!
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Good to hear! Day by day is a good approach
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Been doing good, was reading up on another thread about weight gain. Wondering how I can get Dutch to gain a little bit of healthy weight. He has been getting thinner around the ribs and what not, meanwhile my female rottie is getting chubby! I'm not sure what to do since his curves have been pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                    Been doing good, was reading up on another thread about weight gain. Wondering how I can get Dutch to gain a little bit of healthy weight. He has been getting thinner around the ribs and what not, meanwhile my female rottie is getting chubby! I'm not sure what to do since his curves have been pretty good.
                    It took about 8 months before Sammie was back to her ideal weight of 70 lbs (started at 45 at her worst when she was diagnosed). I was feeding her enough food for a 100 lb dog which she happily ate :-) but just finished reducing her food to the amount for a 70 lb dog and I think she's holding steady.

Once we had her regulation pretty much figured out the weight started to come back slowly but surely. You should find the same with Dutch.
                    Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

• Diabetes/Leg Problems/Sores

For as long as I can remember every once in a while, Dutch developed a wet open sore somewhere on his foot, usually on the bottom and he would naw at it. Don't know if the nawing caused the sore in the first place or if it was some kind of allergy or something. So foot problems and constantly nawing at his feet have been a problem for years, not that big of a deal.

But anyways, back to the point. He has developed leg and foot sores that have progessivly gotten worse over the last month and he wont stop nawing at them which is making them worse instead of healing them. The thing that makes these sores different then earlyer stated is they are swollen lumps and not just raw patches. He has had a couple off and on which actually healed up right before he went to the vet a few weeks ago so I didn't really bring it up. I'm sure that these sores are complications from his diabetes. Usually they heal up and the swelling goes away, but he wont stop chewing on these ones and they are all raw and swollen. They seem to reoccur in the same spots, one particular one came back and is really swollen up. I just got done coating them all in neosporin.

I'm not sure of what kinds of treatments I can do at home for these sores or ulcers or whatever they are and was wondering if any other Diabetics or diabetic dogs have similar problems and how they cope with it. They are on all of his legs or maby just 3. Want them to heal before they become a serious problem.
                      Last edited by Timothy; 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Re: Diabetes/Leg Problems/Sores

Hi

I am wondering about sores too...Ruby got ?stung by a bee? on the top of her foot, we were walking and suddenly she did an Olympic type super leap and yelp and lifted up her foot. There was nothing to see for days, but now she is "worrying it" its getting a little swollen looking. It doesnt seem to hurt her but she wont let you touch it, its about a 1 cm square area on top of foot.

I know Diabetics dont heal well, but not sure when I should worry.

Is Polysporin okay for dogs? What if she licks it?

Does anyone take their dogs temperature?

If I was rich i'd have a Live In Vet!
                        Steph & Ruby - Red Min Pin, Age 13, Diabetes Diagnosed July 2012, On 4u Caninsulin twice a day, weight 4.5 kilos, struggles with IBD and Pancreatitis occassionally, food Royal Canine Gastro low fat, loves fruits & veggies, hobbies: Perimeter Security, Sleeping in blankets, car rides, walks, hiding and burying beanie babies.

Comment

actually my jesse heals very quickly which i do find quite unusual

i have noticed she gets a bump from time to time and figured she was getting bit by something from ants to maybe spiders because i get bit also and get a bump she may loose some hair around and around the subsequent bump after it heals which all points to an insect bite or sting

they are on the ground allot so the potential for bites and stings are probably common but there fur may help to prevent it some i saw a harvest ant bite her on her foot between her pad her leg sharked all the way up her body

i guess you would like to identify if it is and insect and a reaction to that or something else going on for jesse she gets a hard raised half inch bump and seems to loose hair around it after it heals
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Timothy

I just saw your post about Dutch's problems.

My Buddy had food and environmental allergies. Once I change his food to grain free, it helped but he still developed those sores. He had the same problem before being diagnosed with diabetes and it didn't change after. Some of these sores were quite big and the incessant licking aggravated them and sometimes transferred the infection to his gums.

He had them on all 3 paws, but one spot in particular on his right paw was almost constant. One was so big that the vet thought he had a foreign object and did surgery which proved unneccesary and Buddy developed a major infection to a point where they talked about amputation.

Buddy was on different antibiotics and I tried just about every cream, lotion etc and the only thing that brought relief and helped the most was the Zymox Topical Spray (with 1% hydrocortisone). I bought the stuff at Entirely Pets (I loved the stuff so much that I also bought the shampoo, cream rinse, ear cleaner as well)

I would soak his paws in warm water and epsom salt, dry them and spray them with this Zymox. If he had them on more than one paw, I'd let him stand in the laundry tub with warm water and epsom salt for about 5 minutes. When the sores were really bad, I have had to do it 2-3 times per day. I also resorted to putting on booties on at night so he wouldn't sneak a lick.

They are not fun to deal with and you really have to stay on top of it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your boy (he is a handsome one)

Louise

Comment

• Novolin N not working?

Hello. Ive been away for a while for school. We switched to Novolin N a while back and I don't know if it is working. His sugar is constantly high. Around thanksgiving he started loosing more weight. I increased his dosage from about 26 to 30 now and its still close to 500. I'm going to try increasing it more but if that dosen't work I'm not sure what to do. I don't think that it stays in his system as long as humalin did. Other then that hes about the same. About a month later His left eye looks like it has sunk in a little bit and it kind of has a "lazy eye" effect.

Comment

Timothy, did you do a curve before the increases were made? If so could you post the numbers?

If there was no curve done prior to the 4 unit increase I would not increase him any more until a curve could be run. I know in the past Dutch has been sensitive and being a Rottie they are known for being a little trickier diabetes wise.

Folks have been noticing differences in their dogs with Novolin. Sometimes it is stronger then the Humilin, sometimes weaker and sometimes not lasting as long.

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X