No announcement yet.

Rusty's Journey Sugarversary March 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty's Journey Sugarversary March 10!

My baby boy Rusty has been diagnosed with diabetes and is doing pretty well now after a four day hospital stay and the care he is getting at home.
    Does anyone have an easy solution when it comes to injection time? It was very easy to do at first but now that he feels more like himself he does not want me to come near him after he is done eating to give him his insulin.
    I am running out of ideas and it is tearing me apart because he is doing so well with everything and I do not want him to fear me because of that injection.
    Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Re: I am new here and need advice on injections.

I had trouble with Honey at the start so I always give her a piece of chicken after the injection as a treat. She now associates the injection with a treat so she will lie & wait for me to give it to her. I will always say " will we do your injection" just beforehand so she knows what to expect. This took a few days (between tying/securing her & muzzling her as I was on my own) but thankfully it worked.
    Last edited by jen0m; 03-25-2015, 02:00 PM.
    Jen.
    "A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a small furry object hurls into your arms & tells you how very glad she is to see you home" (Pam Brown)

Comment

I used to give Sparky the tiniest little bit of peanut butter (about the size of 2 grains of rice) after each test or injection. He thought the peanut was fabulous and totally worth the needle stick.
      Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

i give jesse her shot while she eats. i inject her on her backside either side of the spine above the base of the tail . she pauses as i inject and proceeds eating

i do understand you may want a dog to finish food completely before injecting thats why i give her a head start so its gives me an idea that she will finish . she enjoys dinner but i guess there can be some risk with this method

now if it is something you want to consider i would just try tenting while eating and see the response may not like it but it is an option
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you everyone for answering so quick. I am doing this on my own and I do not want to hurt him in anyway. I will try your suggestions and hopefully something will work. I am still trying to get use to the idea that he is diabetic and am so scared right now of the whole situation.
          Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

We give Eddie his injection while he eats as well. He hardly pauses in his chewing usually. We do always check first that he is going to eat but he has never hesitated and always finishes his food - you do need to be confident about this so that there is no risk of giving the insulin then the dog doesn't eat his food.

We probably all started out a bit like how you are feeling now. It is hard and a little overwhelming at first. Try to remind yourself that you are actually saving his life with each injection and it is just the way things have to be now so he will simply have to get used to it.

It really does get easier as you go along and it all becomes so much more familiar. And whatever your issue, there will be people on here who have already had to deal with it, which helps a lot.
            Antonia
            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

It is scary at first. Another thing you can do is mess around "tenting" his skin when it isn't shot time so he gets used to it.

We started giving shots when she was eating cause she had cushings, was starving and didn't notice. Later she got pickier about her food and I was worried she associated eating with the shot. So, I waited till she was done eating.

Add me to the special treat for getting a shot. We bought Etta Says Duck Jerky from amazon and she only got it after injections. She was no dummy so I'd announce it was shot time.

also, one side of Jenny's body was more sensitive to the shot than the other so we didn't inject her on that side.

She went through a couple of weeks trying to nip at us when it was injection time. We made her suffer the indignity of a muzzle. She was so confused by the muzzle that the shot was over by the time she figured it out. That didn't last long.

I just told her, and myself, that she needed the insulin to live and I was going to win this battle.

hang in there. Judi
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

You just have to have resolve - dogs so frequently live in the moment and the injection will soon be forgotten. I think making it a big deal turns it into a big deal. I just used the logic for myself that there is no choice, it is survival. Save a few pieces of food or figure a treat into the meal.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I call CeeCee my runner (and recently my yelper) over this also, testing is not a problem, tho getting enough blood sometimes is hard. Minute she sees the meter, she runs to the bedroom, even if I am testing myself, she runs lol.

Chi's tend to have a defense thing where they will yelp (so the vets tell me) if you come near them and our gal has done this for her whole life. She has started doing this when time for shots before I even touch her the last couple days, I just let her yelp, wait a section and then give the shot and a treat, tho in my mind I think 'did I really hurt her, did I do this right" but it must be done for her health

Comment

I inject while eating without a problem, but he moves all over for my husband. We have guests coming for a long weekend, but if necessary we'll break out the muzzle like we did at first for eye drops so hubby can take over while I'm out of town for 3 days in April.Now the reward of chicken jerky makes the drops a breeze for both of us
                    Last edited by Charlie's mom; 03-26-2015, 08:04 PM.
                    Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

My Bazzle dog will not tolerate being touched while he's trying to eat. So I give him his shot afterwards. I'm also kind of on my own when it comes to taking care of my boy. We live with my dad, but he will have nothing to do with my dog when it comes to anything diabetes related.

At first, our vet had us giving him his insulin shot in the scruff of his neck, but after a while he started yelping and crying and mouthing me. I felt like I was hurting him, and I wasn't sure how to approach the vet about it. The folks on this forum suggested that I try giving him his shot in a different place, like along his side. I was absolutely terrified of switching places, but I felt like I had to try something or else things we just going to get worse. So I started by messing with his skin, and tenting it. Then I got a mechanical pencil and poked him, not too hard, just enough that he could feel I was poking him, and then immediately gave him a small piece of boiled chicken (his high value reward) we did that a few times. I think Bazzle got used to the idea pretty quickly, but our biggest challenge was my fear of switching shot locations.

Eventually I found the courage to do it, and I'm so happy I did!! Bazzle didn't even feel the shot go in!! In fact he started looking at me with a face that said, 'well, aren't you gonna poke me so I can have my treat??' I started laughing so hard I almost forgot to give him his chicken!!

Where are you giving your dog his shots? Maybe you could try a different location. Best of luck to you!!
                      Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Rusty's Journey

Todat it seems as if Rusty did not want to walk and he usually loves to be outdoors.
                        I was told by the doctor to let him move at his own pace and not to push him.
                        I checked his urine this morning and his glucose is good and ketones negative.
                        Should I be worried or is this normal? I am still in the learning process.

Comment

Re: Walking

his blood sugar may have been low . my jese can get sluggish with lower blood sugar

with urine testing that's a reflection from an earlier period . so say you did a urine test that may have been what blood sugar was maybe as much as 6 hours ago which can be quite different from what its is in the here and now

i agree with the vet dont push let the pup lead you
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you so much for the explanation I am so lost right now and I always think that something bad is going to happen. I just want to give him the best care possible.

Comment

His body is still adjusting to all of these changes; somedays we walk 3 blocks other days 2 houses. With all of the fiber in his food he usually needs to poo and then he's ready to head back home
                              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Working...
                              X