New baby today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New baby today

I'm getting a 3 year old female Maltese today at 1:00. She is a little 5 pounder in a family with small kids. These small breeds aren't uaually adopted out to families with young kids but this dog was sent home with a 2, 5 and 9 year old 3 years ago and she doesn't get along with the youngest and bit her face the other day. They are busy and don't have time to do what the dog needs and are dealing with the oldest having brain cancer so it's kind of stressful there. They are gone a lot and DO love the dog, they just know that they can't do for her as she deserves and don't want a kid scared of the dog.

Her name is Lilly. Please send good thoughts and prayers her way so that this isn't too traumatic for her???

Bogie has been gone 5 weeks today.
    Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
    Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Re: New baby today

Welcome to Lilly!!!

Has she been around other pets much?

I hope she settles into your group quickly and happily.

Pictures please asap...

Natalie

Comment

Will try to add a picture!

Comment

Congratulations on the new family member...she's adorable and will probably have a great time at your house.
        Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

OH -- too cute -- Lily, my Atlas would love to meet her!
          best wishes and licks!

Debbie & Apollo and Atlas (the maltese )
          Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Aaaawwwwww... how's she faring?

Natalie

Comment

Everything is great. I have no complaints and she seems fine in all ways.

Crated at night and no crying, eating well, goes to the door.....seems more comfortable with everyone else.

Couldn't ask for a better transition. Molly was an easy transition too but she didn't do the snooping Lily does so Lily figured some things out a little faster.

We even went out for 2 hours last night and I would have never guessed I've leave a new dog so soon. : ) : ) : )

Comment

She is beautiful Denise. My daughter and her husband have a maltese her name is Bella It is the only grandaughter I have. She gets along with my animals and struts her stuff Very smart as well and is 5 lbs. We babysit alot. Congrats on your new addition!!!!
                Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Oooooohh, what a doll!!! Happy that she fits in so good and so soon! Have fun with her!
                  Best wishes,
                  Marion

Comment

It is going so well that it's hard to believe it will just be one week tomorrrow that she came hme with me!

She IS a little "barky" but then so is Molly. The difference is that Molly barks to demand things and Lily just barks! LOL She is getting better, new sounds are becoming familiar sounds and our coming and goings are becoming old habit for her. She is a cuddler and takes up so little space you hardly know she is there.

She and the other small dogs are doing fine, once in awhile a little snit because Lex, Liv and Molly aren't used to having a number 4 dog get in the way when there is a cat or toy to chase.

Feels so right that I know it was meant to be.

Comment

Sounds like the 2-year-old child just couldn't leave her be. I always remember a puppy and kitten my aunt got when her first child was about that age. The cat was so mellow... he could drag it around by an ear and the cat didn't care. The puppy, on the other hand, spent a full six months hiding under the couch...

Comment

Congratulations Denise. Lily is beautiful - I love that face. Happy to hear that everything is going well with her. Enjoy!!!! Hugs to you and the gang.

Luv,
                        Lynne and Lady
                        Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Thanks for the congrats! We are very happy!!! : )

Nat, you asked about her and other animals.

she was only around other dogs sometimes on weekends when they camped with friends. She'd never seen a cat but doesn't seem to care that they are here. The first couple days they sniffed her but she just stood there and let them. Now she has figured out that Goldie (who also sleeps with me) and Charlotte will run if chased so she IS! Lex and Liv bother Charlotte too and you know one teaches the others the bad stuff. They are more like kids than non-pet people realize!

She gets on the computer desk when I am gone and watches for me. It's very cute from the outside to see her there. It's also a sunny spot with a cat there and she was sharing! She was always kenneled or put in the bathroom when they left but I haven't used the kennel since last Sunday when we were at church and after Tuesday night she is now a bed dog too! LOL She doesn't take up much room! LOL

It's been great, she is a prepetual puppy!

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
                            Thanks for the congrats! We are very happy!!! : )

She gets on the computer desk when I am gone and watches for me. It's very cute from the outside to see her there. It's also a sunny spot with a cat there and she was sharing! She was always kenneled or put in the bathroom when they left but I haven't used the kennel since last Sunday when we were at church and after Tuesday night she is now a bed dog too! LOL She doesn't take up much room! LOL

It's been great, she is a prepetual puppy!
                            Denise - I'm awfully new here - about a week - but I'm a nut about all dogs - love the small ones; easy to care for in some ways (sometimes not so much!)

I looked at Lily's picture and just drooled! She is totally gorgeous.

I tell ya; I WISH people wouldn't place dogs with children so young, and so many of them. Children so young don't have the capacity for understanding "other," as in "other" (nor living) creatures - who might suffer pain. And they can't move quietly and slowly, either. This can be terrifying to any dog, possibly worst for small dogs.

But I'm totally delighted that Lily is yours now. I've read enough here in a week to get a good idea of how dedicated - and knowledgeable - the people here are. Despite the stress of reading through and following all your stresses - I can see all the heartwarming dedication, along with the successes you people achieve! (I've been on the edge of my chair for days, reading from start to finish, now through three or four threads on diabetic dogs; Cushings dogs too (Marianne; I read the entire thread on the Cushings forum about Pebbles.)

Kumbi and I, with Kwali (stroke dog) are doing fine for the moment. I know our tough days will come eventually; I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If anybody needs an AnoDyne, or, I hope, a good laugh, I really hope you'd get a kick out of the pages linked by the URL in my signature. I treat this stuff - though it's a total and obvous joke - as sort of real, and I think thse anodynes do work - if you use them in your imagination.

I was also reading about Kiwi dying - my heart goes out to you, Marianne .People tend not to realize what may threaten a dog's health; heat stroke, I think, ia a possibility in that situation. People get their dogs ball-crazy, which turns out, after all, not to be such a hot idea, if I may make a very bad pun. That was months ago, but I only just read the thread. I think heat stroke would be consistent with that situation.

(So, anodynes for that, too.)

Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:20:11
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol!

Lily fit right in with my bunch. I've never had a dog this small. I have a Huskie, (Micah) a German Sheperd (Zeke) (they live a few minutes away in a 2 acre enclosed pen with their own "house" (a 10'x12' trailer) and an automatic cattle waterer that is big enough they can lie in it when they are hot. Either hubby or I see them twice a day and hubby takes them for rides and runs.

At home I have Reba, she is a spanial mix, not sure her age and ahs atypical Cushings. Lexi and Livi are Shih Tzu sisters and are 5 this Dec. Molly is a diabetic Chihuahua that has been with us for two years, I got her from Texas, a senior rescue. She is 8. Then Lily.

I lost Bogie to cancer in August, he was a 12 year old black schnauzer with diabetes (7 years) and atypical Cushings (3 years).

Then I have 12 cats indoors and feed 2 strays. This would be too long if I started listing the cats ages and names!

Do you have cats?

Comment

Working...
                              X