dog won't eat in morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog won't eat in morning

Recently diagnosed (3 weeks ago) schnoodle - trying to regulate, currently on 4 units 2xday. However, this morning was the first time she didn't want to eat. It was the same dry mixed with canned that I've been feeding each time since diagnosis. She's allergic to chicken, wheat...so, most food is off limits for her. I finally just added more canned into the mixture & she ate about 1/2 what she does normally.

Re: dog won't eat in morning

Welcome to the forum. Can't write much now because I'm on my phone at the mall.

Tell us a bit more about your pup: weight, type of insulin, any other medical problems? Are you blood testing at home? If you are home testing, could you provide some readings?

I'm sure others will check in with you, and I'll be back home later this afternoon.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hello! and welcome to the forum -

Your post caught my eye because I've been having the same problem with my mini-schnauzer Gretel (12 yrs. old - diabetic 4 yrs.). I also feed her a mixture of wet and dry W/D. Like you, I'm also limited in what I can feed her because she has bladder stone issues too.

My vet, who has been wonderful, has told me she thinks Gretel doesn't eat in the morning because her blood sugar is too high and she doesn't feel well. She wants me to give her the full dose of insulin (12-1/2 units) even if she doesn't finish her food, believing that once her sugar starts to come down she will feel better and then finish her food (provided I leave the food down).

This is the only piece of advice that she's given me in 4 yrs. that I haven't been in complete agreement with. My fear is that if I give Gretel the full load of insulin and she never does finish the food, then her BG will take a nosedive. I would have to be nearby looking for signs that she's going low. However, that being said, I've tried it for the last few days, and right around the time when her sugar is at it's lowest point, she finishes her food.

I'm certainly not advising anyone else to do this because every dog and situation is different, but I wanted you to know you aren't alone with this problem. I would suggest working with your vet and see what he/she suggests. Also-and I'm very guilty here , but home testing would be invaluable in this situation. I'm still not home testing, but the vet just last week encouraged me to try it again, so that I will know how high her blood sugar was right before eating.

Anyway, good luck to you and your pup. I know you'll hear from others who have good ideas.

Carolyn
      Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Hello,

My Lillie was just diagnosed on 1.4.14 so, we are really new at all of this but, we have been fighting feeding times.

This morning was a real challenge and I decided to scramble up an egg and mix it in with her food and this morning was the most she has eaten for a while now! I have found if she doesn't eat I would rather her eat something like an egg mixed up than nothing at all.

Good luck!
        Lillie- Loyal black Lab, 9 yrs old- Diagnosed: 1.4.2014
        *Currently on 9 units Humulin N morning and night. Adjusting to our new lifestyle.

Comment

High blood sugar can make them feel terrible affecting their appetite. There are many here who use toppers to make food more appetizing. My dog was never good with the prescription food - she flat out refused it so finding a food for her was a big challenge.

What food are you currently feeding? If your dog likes the canned food more, adjust the ratio and just feed more canned. If both versions of the food is the problem , you can always look for something else. There are so many options nowadays that you shouldn't have to settle for something that will be a struggle at every meal. There are brands that have single source protein and are grain free and would be ok for diabetes. Pure Vita is one that jumps out and I am sure there are others. People here feed a wide variety - it can be a challenge to find a combo that works but it can be done.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
            Welcome to the forum. Can't write much now because I'm on my phone at the mall.

Craig

Craig, are you one of those men that actually LIKE shopping? More than once I have seen where you have been at the mall?
            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
              Craig, are you one of those men that actually LIKE shopping? More than once I have seen where you have been at the mall?
              Mall yes, shopping no! We go to the mall about 5 mornings a week to walk / exercise before it opens. We walk from 9-10, then have coffee / tea with friends.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
              X