Suggestion for Vitamins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for Vitamins

My little maltese has been a diabetic for 4 years now. She is now 12 and half. Unfortunated she has severe arthritis in her back legs and lower back. The vet gave her something to take for pain. Her eating habbis arent the greatest with 2 meals a day. I give her stringbeens at lunchtime. Her bg has been around 150, which is great. Does any one have a suggestion for a multi vitamin for her to take without it containing sugar??? Otherwise her health is pretty good, shes just getting old and needs something to boost her energy. Also, where ca I purchase it online???? Thank you, karen (lola's mom)
    Lola - Maltese, 10 yrs old, 10 lbs. Diabetes Dx. April 2012. 4 units Novoline twice a day. Ketorlatic eye drops twice a day for life, mostly blind...

Re: Suggestion for Vitamins

Welcome to the forum.

My Annie is 14+ years old and seems to have a pretty bad case of arthritis. I started her on Synovi http://www.amazon.com/DVM-Synovi-Sof.../dp/B000ALI5H4 A couple of weeks ago and she seems to be much improved. Of course her improvement could be caused by something else, but the Synovi seems to have helped both her arthritis and eating problems.

There is sugar, and molasses, but Annie's BG levels have stayed good.

I also give a fish oil capsule once a day.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hi Karen

I am sorry to read about Lola.

My vet always prescribed Metacam Oral Suspension (Meloxicam) for treating arthritis. My dog does not have severe arthritis, in fact it is fairly slight, but the Metacam always helped his joints and he was much more lively on it. I believe Metacam has pain-killing properties in it.

The vet still prescribes Metacam alongside Caninsulin and he said that the Metacam does not increase blood glucose and is safe to take with the insulin.
      Fua is a cross-setter dog adopted from the Arc de Noel Rescue Centre in Nantes, France. Developed diabetes/possibly Cushings Disease in November 2015. 70% sudden sight loss around 20th/21st February 2016. Fua lives with his brother, Ashley - a greyhound-cross rescue dog - in England and Portugal.

Comment

My dog has been helped by using a collagen supplement from Makondo pets. http://www.amazon.com/Supplement-Col.../dp/B00ALYLX5Q It doesn't have sugar but it does have vitamin C so you might want to be mindful if you do a multivitamin.

Snickers is also helped by giving her a massage on her back and legs. We do it before her morning test (and walk) and it helps get her moving for the day.
        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

One of our non-diabetic dogs has arthritis and he has improved a lot on fish oil capsules, Metacam and Synoquin capsules. Obviously it's easier with him as we don't have to worry about blood sugar.
          (For what it's worth I have arthritis myself and I take fish oil; if I forget for more than a day or so I really notice the difference in my joints).
          Antonia
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
          X