New here and overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New here and overwhelmed

my vet told me that overall we are looking for good averages. Dogs and meters are going to fluctuate, it is not an exact science so that is why most of us shoot for a range to be happy about.

I bet your dog is feeling good at those #'s. Mine is friskier, peppier and bossier when she ranges from 150-250. that's a good thing! congrats
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

You don't want to get in such low ranges that you have no wiggle room. I keep Maggie pretty tight regulation wise because I am with her all the time but I would take 200s and be very happy. Some people here never see numbers less than 300.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Those numbers look good to me too. I wouldn't be worried by a 255.

Eddie's numbers always tend to go up after food/insulin and he is at his highest around 6 hours after food/insulin time. He is at his lowest just before eating. It's the opposite of what most seem to do but that doesn't bother him ... he just hasn't read the doggy diabetes manual properly!

Antonia
        Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

Ugh, up to 285 now! It's been 81/2 hours since his meal and injection.

Comment

Ok, last reading of the day was 198 with an average of 216 for 7 days. 😊

Comment

That curve is not bad.... It goes by how much of a swing you have from the lowest to the highest. If there is not much of a variation between high and low, then it may be safe to increase..... but if you are getting some lower readings from other days at 130, I would not increase.

We try to do the best we can to make sure that we have consistent numbers each day, but sometimes you just need some wiggle room for those lowish days.

I think you curve was great!!

Barb
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Ok, I have a question: does anyone feed their diabetic dog with Blue Buffalo dog food? I was previously feeding Royal Canin Diabetic when a Blue Buffalo representative at the pet store told me that she feeds her diabetic dog the Blue Buffalo food. So I bought some of their small breed dog food. I was hoping to feed both my dogs the same food (one is not diabetic). I emailed the Blue Buffalo company and they told me their dog food was a maintenance diet and that they are sorry I got the wrong info from their rep. That the food was not intended for dogs with medical conditions. They said I could ask my vet if they thought it was ok, but I'm sure my vet has a contract with Royal Canin, so I don't know if he would recommend another food.

Just wondering what other owners of diabetic dogs are feeding their pets?

Thanks!
                Theresa

Comment

There are many options that work for a diabetic dog. There are so many different types, brands and formulas that people here have used with success. Some use raw, dehydrated, prescription, low glycemic, grain free, canned, home cooked or just something purchased at Wal Mart as well as a combination of any of the above. Head spinning yet

I think a good starting point is to look at something that has a good protein, a complex carb component, and a reasonable amount of fat. The most important factor IMO is to find something that your dog likes and will eat happily and something that is readily available to you. Take any medical conditions into consideration. My dog seems to have digestion issues with potatoes and other ingredients but she had pancreatitis so her digestive issues really were more important to me. After all, a food that kept her digestive system upset would naturally make diabetes management more difficult.

Take a look at dogfoodadvisor.com -- a great site that gives lots of info about any brand you want to look up.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                  X