ReliOn insulin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ReliOn insulin

When Decker was first diagnosed in early November 2011 we paid $88.00 for a 10ml vial of Humulin N. Got him home at 5:30p and needed to have insuiln for the next morning. Didn't give us a lot of time to shop around. The great pharmacist at our local Price Chopper was the one who gave me the tip on the low cost of purchasing the insulin at Wal-mart (before I found this forum).

Looking at that cost vs. the $136.00 we pay for his levemir, the levemir cost doesn't seem quite so much anymore. And because the levemir is a clear insulin we have not seen an decrease in potency past the 42 day mark. Honestly, my initial thought was to wonder if more people would consider giving the levemir a try.
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

jesses r insulin is over 6 months and it is also a clear insulin they say if it holds its clarity it is still good

i am a real supporter of levemir from seeing people on the forum make a change and getting a much milder approach its funny we dont even use it and i am a fan watching it from the stands and not a player on the field

i wouldn't be surprised if kept refrigerated you could keep it for months and maybe as long as Jesse r with little to no loss of potency so actually it maybe a less inexpensive approach

for jesse i have not had a vet involved in her diabetes so getting a prescription may change that and thats something i dont want to do at this time, if they are willing to wright a prescription . also we are able to do her walk and rabbit chasing with no problems so thats big factor i do get tired of jesses unpredictability and the appearance on instability before that 28 day mark on nph

if it ever reaches a point where you dont need a prescription that would be an incentive to give it a try and really dont understand why you need a prescription for one insulin and not for another a head scratchier for me
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We started our first pen of Levemir on 5/8 and am still using it. The Humalog pen was started even longer ago an seems to give consistent results too. They are both clear insulins that we keep in the fridge.

I wonder if the 42 day mark they give is because the pen is designed for people to clip on the shirt pocket like a pen and would therefore be jostled and unrefridgerated during that period. I treat mine very gently due to it's cost.

When I start the new pens for both I will post whether or not I realize more potency.
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

My Walmart had 14 bttls left and I bought three. If and when I switch- I will in the winter time. Ed seems to have less issues in the winter.
          His 2yr sugarversary is coming up
          Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

It's still twice as much but Walgreens sells theirs for around $50 something a vial with a 1-time purchase of a W card that's around $20 if someone is looking to cover the gap.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price

I will discuss the new branding with the vet though and see what he says.

It is always something to stress about

Comment

Originally posted by JayneN View Post
                Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price

Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Jayne, that was Patty talking about if someone was in a pinch they could get it for $50 at Walgreens. I think that was because some walmarts were just plain out of stock.
                  We haven't heard what the new price will be at walmart or even if there will be a change.

Fingers crossed.
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by JayneN View Post

Walmart used to sell the Novolin brand, then switched to Humulin and guess now back to Novolin. Someone posted on another site she just bought Novolin at Walmart for $17.88. She is in Texas. She also said that her diabetic poodle has been fine with the brand switch.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                      Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.
                      I know what you are saying...I think what I was trying to say was if I need to stick with the Humulin after speaking to my vet and need to purchase it other then at Wal Mart, I will be spending more..

Comment

I just phoned my local Walmart. They have made the switch to Novolin and said the price is a little under $25. I didn't press for the EXACT cost, probably would have to ring it up on the cash register to give the price. I'm happy for now.
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Our Walmart in Pa. is selling the Novolin for $24.88. Same price as Humulin. The pharmacist said it is almost identical. There are 3 molecules that are different. Whatever that means. Going to call our vet tomorrow to see what she thinks.

Comment

This was a post I made back in Peggy and Carolyn's thread awhile back.

The primary ingredients are the same:

HUMULIN NPH and HUMULIN 30/70
                            Each vial or cartridge will contain human insulin (recombinant DNA origin) and the following excipients:
                            m-cresol distilled 1.6 mg/mL,
                            glycerol,
                            phenol 0.65 mg/mL,
                            protamine sulphate,
                            dibasic sodium phosphate,
                            zinc oxide,
                            water for injections.
                            Hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide may have been used during manufacture.
                            http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...Humulininj.htm

NOVO NORDISK PROTAPHANEŽ Isophane (NPH) insulin suspension injection 100 IU/ml

Excipients
                            Glycerol
                            Disodium phosphate dihydrate
                            Metacresol
                            Phenol
                            Zinc chloride
                            Protamine sulphate
                            Sodium hydroxide
                            Hydrochloric acid
                            Water for injections
                            http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...taphaneinj.htm

My understanding is that the difference lies in the fact that some of the ingredients are from different sources and the base solutions are made using different processes.
                            http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29717

Humulin insulin is made from a non disease producing strain of E.coli bacteria that's been genetically altered, and I believe Novolin is derived from yeast that's a special form of genetically engineered wheat.
                            http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:R-DNA/GE/GM
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonellen View Post
                                I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.
                                The folks at the Walmart pharmacy should have told you that their contract with Lilly for Humulin had expired, but there is now a contract with Novo Nordisk for Novolin insulins. Novolin-N is pretty much the same as Humulin-N. some stores might not have either insulin in stock, but should have Novolin-N soon. Ask for ReliOn Novolin. We think the price is the same $24.88 that they were selling the Humulin for.

Comment

Working...
                                X