Sweet Sable is an angel... July 23, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: It's been a while- getting insulin

Another thought is to call the vet where you had the test/shot done and see if he will mail you a script if your pharmacy requires it. I don't believe it matters where you have it filled but you could ask the pharmacy to be sure.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I am in Michigan but no one will give the NPH without a prescription, same with the needles. I will have to take her then, just seems like a waste of money... I think I'll take her to a vet in Wisconsin though as this vet is expensive and i'm almost positive that my uncle did not have to take his dog (that was diabetic) every year to get insulin (but I am probably wrong). Wish I would have knew about this when I had her stuff done on my trip, I could call down and see if they would do it though I suppose...

Thanks for the response. (still can't get over having to take her in and have them do nothing just to get a prescription though)

Comment

We've talked about this before, but here is a link that MAY give correct info about state laws. Of course, each pharmacy can have their own rules.
        http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes...tion-laws.html

It might be worth a short drive across a state line to buy $25 NPH at Walmart, if you are using NPH.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm in Michigan's eastern U P and no one has ever asked me for a prescription to buy insulin. Pat

Comment

I THINK a requirement that a vet see an animal before giving a prescription is probably quite universal. Sorry you can't get NPH without a prescription in Michigan. Maybe going to Wisconsin is a good idea.

Cheering you on, while standing by helplessly! but delighted to see you again!

Love and hugs, licks and wags,

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:18:04 (PDT)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

It is a typical requirement that they see your dog occasionally in order to renew prescriptions so whether their request is reasonable depends on how long it has been since they have seen her. They won't go by another vet having seen her.

NPH does not in fact require a prescription but different pharmacies handle it differently. I can buy it without a prescription at the local Walmart with no problem but Walgreens won't sell it to me - presumably a matter of company practice, not the law as far as NPH goes. Sometimes you can press the pharmacist on this question and succeed in getting them to sell you NPH.

I ordered all of my syringes through www.hocks.com and that allowed me to skip the hassle of renewing prescriptions. I generally didn't buy insulin that way because the one time I did we had a heat wave and it arrived warm to the touch with the ice pack completely exhausted - no doubt from sitting on the UPS, open-door delivery truck all day. Since I could easily buy it locally at Walmart, I didn't bother with having it shipped.

It is GREAT to see the two of you here... we miss you!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                It is a typical requirement that they see your dog occasionally in order to renew prescriptions so whether their request is reasonable depends on how long it has been since they have seen her. They won't go by another vet having seen her.

NPH does not in fact require a prescription but different pharmacies handle it differently. I can buy it without a prescription at the local Walmart with no problem but Walgreens won't sell it to me - presumably a matter of company practice, not the law as far as NPH goes. Sometimes you can press the pharmacist on this question and succeed in getting them to sell you NPH.

I ordered all of my syringes through www.hocks.com and that allowed me to skip the hassle of renewing prescriptions. I generally didn't buy insulin that way because the one time I did we had a heat wave and it arrived warm to the touch with the ice pack completely exhausted - no doubt from sitting on the UPS, open-door delivery truck all day. Since I could easily buy it locally at Walmart, I didn't bother with having it shipped.

It is GREAT to see the two of you here... we miss you!

Natalie
                Thank you everyone (this site really is so helpful, and I do still stop by but it's been crazy busy- but never neglecting Sable).

I may run to Wisconsin and ask but I'll take her into the vet.. just kind of a useless visit that's all. Before I left on my trip even I asked for some insulin (hoping for 2 bottles, always worried about dropping and breaking 1) and they gave me a hard time on that- almost didn't give it to me. I ALWAYS take Sable in every year, it shouldn't be an issue if I say i'm going out of town for a bit and I need insulin knowing that she will need to come in for shots when I get back.... but they still gave me issues and it just left a bad taste in my mouth (again, knowing I come in every year).
                But anyway... I guess it is what it is and i'll do what I need to, she needs insulin one way or another. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                  NPH does not in fact require a prescription but different pharmacies handle it differently. I can buy it without a prescription at the local Walmart with no problem but Walgreens won't sell it to me - presumably a matter of company practice, not the law as far as NPH goes.
                  Interesting, Natalie, because I can buy NPH at our local Walgreen's without any prescription - we are both in California.

Comment

I, too, live in Michigan, but have a wonderful vet who wrote Madi's prescriptions for the insulin and syringes for 998 refills. (I do still take her in every two weeks just to get her blood glucose checked and cuz she loves the attention she gets there. I only pay $22 for these checks and it is well worth it to me to give up a few lunches just to have the peace of mind!)

Comment

• Re: Sable switched to NPH - Much better BGs!

Wow it's been so long... I have been so busy, Sable seems to be still doing pretty well.

For those that have any questions/suggestions or otherwise always feel free to get in touch with me- I'm not the expert a lot are on here but this forum is great and I will offer my experiences at least if you need anything.

Comment

Eric - I'm delighted Sable continues to do well. I have a few pictures of her saved on my machine. She is so delightful! Stay well yourself!

It's great to hear from you!

Good night,
                        Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:50:36 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Hi Eric,
                          So great to hear from you! Glad to hear Sable is doing well.

Have her bgs increased some with the heat? I remember she used to rise instead of dropping with hotter weather and we've had some people with that issue lately.

Always glad to hear an update on you two
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I took her to Houston (I came here for work... again) and wish I didn't, she is higher, had a couple of days she actually drank a lot of water (more than normal and I knew she was higher than normal- she just doesn't want to be outside).

I leave for home on Saturday, even though I like all the things to do and work is better here etc..... for Sable, i'm so glad I'm going home. Overall though she is doing pretty well.

Comment

Ali travels often with us and I know it's rough on her too. Houston is a lot hotter/more humid than your neck of the woods . Did you both fly, Eric?

Give her a pat for us,
                              Patty

Comment

No I drove.... 3rd time now. She wasn't as crazy to on the ride down this time (I think she knew lol).

I am staying at a different hotel... I visited the last hotel I stayed at and she was much happier there (wish I could have stayed there again but i'm a different office that is too far away). She loves a place called the Woodlands too.... think i'm going there tomorrow night for the last hurrah... at least she will have fun and we will walk the waterway (anyone in Houston? if so let me know, i'll try to remember to check here before we go).

Comment

Working...
                                X