Changing Insulin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Insulin

Is it ok to switch from vetsulin to novolin N? I know the needles are different would the amount be the same in both types of needles? I give him 10 units in the u 40 needle, with vetsulin. I can not afford this and its cheaper through walmart. Also how can i test his glucose level? Please help I Love my Furbaby. I feel like my Vet wont give me information because it takes from him I kinda understand but he is suppose to save animals and if i cant afford I need his help.

Re: Changing Insulin

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us more about your pup: breed, weight, other medical problems? Really anything you can share with us, we like to get to know "our" pups

Yes, many here use the $25 Nonolin-N from Walmart. You can also get the required U100 syringes there also. Some locations may require a prescription for the insulin / syringes, but most States don't.

Most home test the blood glucose using handheld monitors. Many use "human" meters which give acceptable readings, or there is a dog / cat meter (AlphaTrak) that is made for our fury-kids. there are videos on the main part of this website, and on YouTube to show how to home test.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Here's a link to the AlphaTrak website. I'm not "pushing" the AlphaTrak, but the information and videos are very good. http://www.alphatrakmeter.com

Note: the AlphaTrak can be expensive to use. The kit costs about $55-60 online (Amazon), but the test strips can be over $1 each.

A cheap way to get started is to get the Relion Prime meter from Walmart. The meter is under $20 and the test strips are only about 18 cents each (100 for $18). The reading won't be exact, but close enough for you starting out. Then later after you become a pro home testing you might feel better getting a more expensive / capable meter.

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphys2015 View Post
        Is it ok to switch from vetsulin to novolin N? I know the needles are different would the amount be the same in both types of needles? I give him 10 units in the u 40 needle, with vetsulin. I can not afford this and its cheaper through walmart. Also how can i test his glucose level? Please help I Love my Furbaby. I feel like my Vet wont give me information because it takes from him I kinda understand but he is suppose to save animals and if i cant afford I need his help.
        We are in the process of changing insulin from Vetsulin to Novolin after two years. Many here had to change several years ago with Vetsulin became unavailable.

Here in Indiana, I needed a script for Novolin, I understand some places you don't.

Hang in there and welcome!
        Mel and Vinny
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I am switching back to Novulin due to costs. I have two 20 lbs Pugs who have been on 5 units of Vetsolin each 2xday of course using U40 Syringes. I have the Novulin and U100 syringes and he recommended 2.5 Novulin in U100 Syringe. That sounds like a drastic change. My girls are seniors, blind (due to being untreated in former homes, they were senior rescues) Your thoughts?

Comment

I think 2.5 is a bit drastic - generally the dosages don't change a great deal but you might start a unit lower to be safe. Are you able to test their glucose? You can save lots of money testing at home.

I use the One Touch Ultra and have for many years. I buy strips on eBay. Much cheaper than the store but if I get in a bind, I could buy at walMart.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey and Gia View Post
              I am switching back to Novulin due to costs. I have two 20 lbs Pugs who have been on 5 units of Vetsolin each 2xday of course using U40 Syringes. I have the Novulin and U100 syringes and he recommended 2.5 Novulin in U100 Syringe. That sounds like a drastic change. My girls are seniors, blind (due to being untreated in former homes, they were senior rescues) Your thoughts?
              It does sound drastic. We've ended up with just as much Novolin as Vetsulin. I felt they started Vinny too low as well, and we weren't half. I wouldn't give them all 5, maybe start at 4?
              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Working...
              X