Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer - Earned his wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer–Just Diagnosed

Hope Munchie is feeling better this morning. Sending prayers.

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

jesse did have bouts of pancreatitis when she came home from the hospital after major episode same as you described once her numbers got better they seem to fade away

you may have to go to a bland diet and you may have to withhold food for a day and slowly work some back in as appetite increases

there bodies are so delicate at this time

now it is possible to just give one meal a day and that may give digestion a break that is jesses routine and has work well with her digestive issues she does get a milkbone for a snack mid morning whether that was the key to no more problems with the pancreas we will never know for sure but she has had very few problems since i think most vets prescribe more meals but smaller

so keep an eye on his numbers see what they do without food i do know how you feel it just broke my heart seeing this with jesse and seeing this not long after getting from hospital she did get better on her own and without medical intervention it was scary

prayers for munchie for getting better soon
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thinking of you and Munchie Louise. Hoping you both get some relief soon.

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Sure hope things are better today.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Louise

I am so sorry to hear Munchie is feeling bad and vomiting - the poor little fellow and poor you it's such a worry. I know cj was vomiting this morning too an hour after eating and insulin. He's ok now but it's so stressful never knowing when they will eat or if they do will they throw it all up. Hope Munchie is feeling better this evening . Hugs
            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thanks for your support everyone. Things went from bad to worse very fast with Munchie last night so took him to ER. ER doc ran critical care blood panel which was ok and said his symptoms were that of pancreatitis but did not run test to confirm. Gave him a shot to stop vomiting, a Rx of Tramadol for pain, sub q fluids and sent us home.

Munch is doing very poorly today. Have already spoken to his doctor and was told to bring him back tomorrow if he doesn't eat. Well, I can guarantee he's not going to eat. An appetite stimulant was prescribed which I have yet to pick up but I cannot give him the pain med and stimulant both. He is definitely in pain so that's my priority right now. Even a tiny bit of food rubbed on his gums seems to cause a whole negative reaction. He is very uncomfortable and has difficulty walking so I carry him. His urine is very concentrated and there is very little of it. He was straining to poop but he's got no food in him and I'm concerned something else may be going on. Vet had me give him 6 units of insulin this morning even though he did not eat and it did next to nothing. Checked for ketones and at least there still aren't any present.

I just spoke to vet. I cannot see waiting until tomorrow for tests when he's doing so poorly right now. So, I'll wash my face, change my clothes, pick up my boy and take off again.

Louise
              Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Poor Munchie and you Louise

It sounds like his pancreas is causing the problem. You are right to bring him in again to the vet . Hope they can give him something for the pain and discomfort.

Hugs
                Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Good luck Louise and thanks for the update. I know we were all anxious to hear.

Whatever you may be dealing with besides the pancreatitis, over the next few days it may help if you could give him sub q fluids at home. Do you think you could give him sub Qs by yourself. It would save you some money as it sounds as though you must be bleeding money right now. With Ruby and Hubba before her, I was able to nurse them through a lot that I never would have been able to afford through the vet, just by giving sub q fluids at home. Sounds like he is dehydrated and that in itself can make you feel pretty bad. Wonder if it could be making him constipated too.

When I have done sub Qs the doc has sent me home with a few bags of fluids, a line and some needles.

Tara

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi Louise,
                    I second Tara... If your unable to leave Munchie overnight at the ER ask them for the fluids for him. Poor little buddy!! I am thinking of you two and watching for your update.
                    Hugs,
                    Dawn and Bogie
                    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Sure hate to hear this, Louise.

Hope the doc can do something to make him more comfortable until this episode passes.
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thank you for taking a few minutes to update us on Munchie. So glad you are not waiting to take him to the vet.

I third the need to keep him hydrated. Might have shared this once but thought I'd put it out there again:

"Dehydration can change the way subcutaneous insulin is absorbed, so either hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia are possible; dehydration can also cause false negative or positive urine ketone test results.[150][151] Hyperglycemia means more of a risk for dehydration."

Hope Munchie is able to get some much needed pain relief and that your vet is able to better trouble shoot what may be going on. Praying that all works out in the end for you.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Poor little guy. Hope you soon get this under control. (((hugs)))

Jake
                          13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                          At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Back home again. Long day. Will get test results back tomorrow but in the meantime Munch's doctor is having me give him the Tramadol every 6 hrs. for pain now and the Cerenia once a day. Poor Munch is so sick. The nausea has him drooling. His tummy is so sore that it hurts him to move so still carrying him around. The VanPatten food I was feeding had him pooping 5-6 times a day and yesterday it was more like 9. His poor bowels are irritated also.

I did come home with a bag of supplies and will be doing sub q fluids every day. Munch is finally sleeping comfortably now and that's what I need to do for at least a couple of hours. I've had 3 hrs. sleep in the last 48 hrs. and I'm beat.

Please keep Munch in your prayers.

Louise
                            Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Louise,
                              Big Hugs and Prayers to you and Munchie for a restful night and a better day tomorrow.
                              Dawn and Bogie
                              Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Been thinking of you and Munchie. Hugs
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X