No announcement yet.

Gretel is now our angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Hello Everyone,

Today Gretel had another curve done at the vet clinic, and I'm very disappointed in the results. Her BG has begun to climb again since the last curve one month ago. She was fed at 6:30am and had 12-1/2 units of insulin (NPH) at 6:45am. First test was at 9:00am and was 259. Second test was at noon and was 365. Last test was done at 4:00pm and it was up to 457.

On top of that, the vet said although Gretel weighs the same as last time, her belly looks larger. She did mention the possibility of Cushing's and so will be testing for that. I'm to take a urine sample in on Thursday. I don't know the exact details except that she said that will show whether there are signs that indicate Cushings and if so, that would indicate the need for more definitive testing.

Gretel's insulin dosage was changed from 12-1/2 to 13-1/2 units twice a day. The vet said she really wishes she could give her Vetsulin because she always got good results with that, but with the current unavailability of it she can't do that.

I also asked her about Gretel's triglycerides, which Natalie had mentioned. She said that although Gretel's cholesterol has been checked, her triglycerides had not been. If I understood her correctly (and I may not have), she said that with elevated triglycerides she would expect to see pancreatitis and vomiting, which she does not see in Gretel.

So now we wait for yet another test result. This sure is a roller coaster ride isn't it? That seems to be the case with all of us, so I know I'm not in this alone, but I'm feeling rather bummed out tonight. But hey, tomorrow's another day and we'll just keep plugging along.

I'll update later in the week.

Hope all of you are having a great week.

Carolyn
    Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

It's really good to hear from you, even if part of the news is a bit of a bummer! I'm going through something similar; my vet is working to "rule out" (I HOPE SO!) Cushings in Kumbi.

I personally don't see any external signs of Cushings in Kumbi, but I'm absolutely going along with the testing idea. At the same time, sweating like a madwoman to raise the funds - just for the testing!

But, speaking of being disappointed in curve results - well, I'm used to that! I finally figured out that most likely, the totally weird soarings of Kumbi's evening BGs could be related to the Chinese herbs he began with on 1 April. Oh! April Fools!

I did another curve yesterday:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/kubgbetter.php

Very weird; haha!

My suggestion would be to try not to be too disappointed, and to assume things will improve in time. As long as you have a good vet and a dog like Gretel - who sounds great - I believe she will do well. She sounds a lot like my Kwali, who did truly well most of her life, till finally she actually died, at 14.5 years old (lymphoma).

I think a dog's temperament can really help that dog get through some rough times; Kwali had that, and Kumbi has it in a different way.

Gretel sounds similar in some ways, so I think you have something going for you with her.

Holding your hand, and cheering you on!

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:41:19 (PDT)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Carol. thanks for the words of encouragement. You're so right, attitude is half the battle. I'm normally a pretty upbeat person so I usually don't stay "down" for too long - just enough to get it out of my system. And as for Gretel - she's has a very upbeat little personality. When I think of everything she's been through in the last 2 years I can't believe she's such a happy little girl. Even going to the vet - marches right through the door, no problem at all.

Unlike 2 dogs I saw being brought in today. Both of them put the brakes on as their owners attempted to drag them in. Drug them all the way back to the exam room and they weren't small dogs either. I think Gretel has every right to behave that way, but she doesn't, thank goodness!

So, I will take her cue and adjust my thinking to a more positive note. And I just adore her vet. She is a very compassionate person and she always takes her time answering my questions and doing research on all of Gretel's various issues. She spent 10 mins. talking to me in the parking lot this morning on her way into work and another 20 mins. on the phone at the end of her day and didn't act in any hurry to dismiss me or my many questions. How great is that?

I can really appreciate your concern about the cost of care. Gretel has had 3bladder surgeries and a multitude of x-rays, scans, tests, cultures, consultations, medications etc. etc. I haven't found out how much it will cost for the definitive test for Cushings. The urinalysis she wants to do this week is $64.00, but that's just a start. Afraid to find out what's next.

I wish you and Kumbi good luck too on this roller coaster ride. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well. Thanks again for being such a wonderful support.

Carolyn
        Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolGram View Post
          She did mention the possibility of Cushing's and so will be testing for that. I'm to take a urine sample in on Thursday. I don't know the exact details except that she said that will show whether there are signs that indicate Cushings and if so, that would indicate the need for more definitive testing.

I also asked her about Gretel's triglycerides, which Natalie had mentioned. She said that although Gretel's cholesterol has been checked, her triglycerides had not been. If I understood her correctly (and I may not have), she said that with elevated triglycerides she would expect to see pancreatitis and vomiting, which she does not see in Gretel.
          Carolyn,
          The urine test your vet wants to run is probably the UCCR or urine cortisol to creatinine ratio test. This test is very sensitive to stress and is best collected first thing in the morning at home. My vet had me refrigerate the sample until I could get it to her.

A positive test does not indicate Cushings as there are many reasons for a positive result but normal test results pretty much mean your dog does not have cushings as I understand it. Here's one article to explain: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com.../detail/357729 If you google it you can come up with many more.

I didn't go back and look to see if Gretel had a urinalysis done but you might have her check for UTI as well since that can cause elevated bgs.

Also, we've had dogs on the board before without symptoms of pancreatitis but with elevated triglycerides. I still think its worth checking as mini schnauzers seem prone to this and it can definitely cause some insulin resistance.

Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Patty,

Yes, that sounds exactly like my vet described the urine test. She said to wait until Thursday to collect it (Gretel's first urine of the day) because she wanted to give her a day or two to recover from the stress of spending the day at the clinic. I'm only a 10 minute drive away so can get the sample to them right away. (Trust me when I tell you that I have delivered more urine samples to the vet than I care to think about - I'm a pro at that!) With Gretel's bladder history I'm sure she will test for a UTI too. I really trust her, she's been wonderful with tracking everything down.

I'll wait to see what the urine test results show, and depending on that I will ask again about the triglycerides.

Thanks so much for your input.

Carolyn

Comment

Carolyn -

Watching for Gretel's results. Please keep up the reports! Thanks!

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:53:09 (PDT)
              CarolW

Comment

Carolyn,

I'm jumping in here late and afraid to say that I have not been following your thread but I feel the need to comment on Patty's remark that there are dogs here who have had high triglyceride levels WITHOUT any signs of pancreatitis.

Long story short, this past January my Mildred had what appeared to be a stroke. This following uncontrollable high bgs. Her vet did a full blood panel which showed her triglyceride level well over 3300. He immediately put her on an ALL veggie diet. She continued on this for almost a full month before she was rechecked. Her triglyceride level had come down to the low end of 'normal'. She also recovered fully from her 'stroke' with her bgs back down in a very good range.

Previous to this I had been feeding her homecooked and thought I was watching her food intake very carefully. I am still homecooking and continue to be careful with what she ingests.

In a few months she will have been diabetic for 6 years.

Sending positive vibes that you are able to get to the bottom of this quickly and have Gretel back to feeling good.

Eileen/Mildred

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Hi Eileen, thanks for your response.

I'l glad to know that, and very glad that Mildred is fully recovered. How scary that must have been for you.

Gretel is currently on w/d food which, as I understand it, is made for diabetic dogs. She gets nothing else because she also has problems with bladder stones, so I'm extremely limited in what I can feed her. I really can't imagine, on that diet, what would cause high triglycerides, but I suppose it can happen regardless, if a dog is prone to that.

It does get discouraging though because it seems that no matter what we do to try to prevent these health issues, they happen anyway. I think she's on the most (to me, anyway ) uninteresting and bland diet, but yet she still formed more bladder stones while on it. I feel like there's nothing left to take away from the poor thing.

I'm definitely going to follow up on the triglycerides if Cushings is ruled out. I should know by the end of the week at least if further testing for Cushings is indicated, and we'll go from there.

Thank you so much for your input. I think it's wonderful that Mildred has been diabetic for 6 yrs and is still going strong. That's a tribute to what excellent care can achieve.

I'll be posting more as things develop.

Carolyn

Comment

Oh you're so welcome Carolyn. I know how enlightening it is to read of different experiences.
                    You are so very right, with her stroke I was preparing for the worse, as if there is such a thing as being prepared.

Mildred has been through the ringer, in her first year as a diabetic she had her gall bladder removed at U C Davis, California, followed by cataract surgery 10 months later.
                    Last spring she had 2 spindle cell sarcoma removal surgeries followed by an operation on one of her eyes in the later part of this past year...darned dog ran into something which poked her eye.
                    Then her 'stroke'...just one thing after another.

She has thus far been fortunate in that all of her 'issues' have been treatable.
                    (knock on wood !!!)

In her first year she too ate W/D but soon grew to dislike it which I've heard many do.

Sending very positive thoughts that Gretel's Cushings test will be a big negative. Will be looking for your next report.

Eileen/Mil

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

• Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel - Injection problems brewing!

Hi Carolyn,

Just checking in to see about the results of Gretel's tests. It sounds like the vet thinks she is looking Cushinoid and the UCCR test is a good first step as it can rule it out if it's negative.

Our siste forum handles Cushing's disease: www.k9cushings.com.

Same software, format, style, and great people plus a ton of resource materials if you wind up having to sort out a Cushing's diagnosis. It is pretty common in mini Schnauzers as well, along with high triglycerides.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Natalie,

I don't have the results yet as the vet was out of the office yesterday. She said she'd call me today.

I have already checked out the Cushings forum - another wonderful site. Hope I don't have to use it, but glad it's there if I do.

I'll post results as soon as I know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Carolyn

Comment

Carolyn,

I'm thinking of you and Gretel today. Will wait patiently for the test results, and I'm hoping for good news!

Keep your chin up!
                          Kevin
                          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hi Kevin, good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like you really had a nasty bug.

Yes, I'm hoping for good news also - there's been way too much of the other kind lately .

Thanks for thinking of us, I'll post again as soon as I have something to report.

Carolyn

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

And? - hope you've just been too busy to report, or your computer is off, or something!

Fervently hoping all is okay with you and Gretel! Maybe I missed something!

Mon, 3 May 2010 06:19:31 (PDT)
                              CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,

Unfortunately I still don't have an answer. The vet didn't call me on Friday as promised (perhaps she didn't have the results yet?) and she's not in the office until tomorrow. So....I'm still dangling.

Hope all is well with you and Kumbi.

Thanks for asking, and I'll post as soon as I know something. Have a great day!

Carolyn

Comment

Working...
                                X