Maggie is an angel today! June 20, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Introducing Maggie

She was 53 this morning......ugh I hate this. The entire situation isn't fair. My step daughter has been in tears with all the testing and the fear something is going to happen. My husband is upset that Maggie is stressed but we both feel kind of selfish like "Gawd, can we just not get away for a few days???" Of course, then I feel guilty too because I am not living up to my end of the bargain with Maggie. I will have the rest of my life for vacations.

The thing is she is acting happy. For the first half of the day yesterday, she was sitting/laying by the door moping. But, Sarah picked her up and got out her brush and brushed her (her favorite thing) and she has been wagging her tail following Sarah around most of the time.

Usually, when she has one of these episodes, it doesn't last long but it is terrifying. If the vet was open, I would send her there for the day because they could do the insulinoma test and give her continuous glucose until it passes. But, this only happens on weekends

So, today is just a wait and see and hope she goes up. I have two other people who are taking care of her because Sarah leaves to go back today. They both are big testers because they know her tendency. She won't be out of anyone's sight the entire time. I just don't want anything to happen (worst case scenario) to scar these poor girls for life. I know they are really nervous.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

i remember when jesse would just drop off a cliff .give her a tablespoon of karo and half hour later down she went again it could last up to 4 hours the amount of sugar was just crazy.

i used bread also but it was like honey or karo in and out of jesse system in a half hour . she has always done better with a milk bone smeared with honey on top and quite a bit of it .

i think your step daughter can do this. i would say no insulin for the day . if numbers are up to normal fasting i would not go more than a unit and maybe half a unit is a better way to go . if numbers still lower than normal no insulin

she will be fine being a bit higher . i did leave jesse for a 24 hour period to help my son move . i left her with teppie my daughter pup . they got there meal before i left that evening jesse got her dose of insulin . i came back next evening and everything was good. jesse was in the high 200s .

amy you have guided so many on this forum with very good success and you never seen those dogs in person. i am sure you can guide your stepdaughter with little difficulty . i understand Maggie is your baby and the worry you have but you have to hide that a bit from your stepdaughter and let her know you have the confidence in her to get the job done (she can do this ) maggie can sense this also so this will be helpful for her and blood sugar relieving some of the stress
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

How about having someone smear honey/karo syrup on her gums every couple of hours?
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

You said it earlier, ... the poor girl misses you and is all stressed out. That won't change till you're back home. Nothing substitutes for mom & dad.

You can handle this through your proxy at home.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

She got all the way to 160, then dropped to 80 and now at 124.... So at least we are better. She has had so many snacks today. She probably is wanting me to leave town more often. She has had her food fantasies fulfilled. Her sugar should be 600 with all this food.

Needless to say, short of a death in the family, this will be my last trip unless she can come, too. This has been a nightmare of worry. I haven't even gotten to have fruity drinks for fear of the alcohol causing my judgment to be bad.

Her new sitter is there now and I am hoping she will start getting back to some nice numbers.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I'm glad she's doing a better today. Just tell the new sitter to keep up the treats!
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

last night we had some fireworks going off ( not good for jesse )

well we go into treat mode to try to brake that focus of the brain on the fire works ( it helps ) well with all that extra food you would expect her to be very high but all we saw at morning fasting was mid 200s .

i have always been puzzled to see numbers in the 400s and higher off just a small snack with others . jesse never seen these huge spikes from just food . yes maybe in humane terms a 100 point spike is large but in the world of doggie diabetes thats relatively small .

glad things have settled down amy . maybe you can go have the fruity drink and relax a bit
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

glad she is doing better. vacation food/drink wise I'd say it is Maggie for the win!
                  Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Glad to hear she is doing better. As hard as it might be, I hope you can relax some and enjoy you trip a little bit.

Jake
                    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Maggie developed pancreatitis and is at the emergency vet. Flying home today. The quickest I can get there is 5 pm. I am hoping and praying she makes it until I get there.

This one is on me. I knew it was a mistake to leave her.

Comment

Sending prayers, Amy. Maggie has found food and eaten it before and has had lots of snacks to treat lows before and has avoided pancreatitis. There is no way you could have known. Please be kind to yourself. Safe travels to you.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

thinking of you & Maggie hugs
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Sending prayers for you and Maggie.

Comment

sending you tons of positive vibes!!!!!!
                              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Amy, please be gentle on yourself. You are totally devoted to your girl. You're the person who even takes her to work and has trained so many other people to know what to do. Sending prayers and healing thoughts.
                                Jeb & Glennys - 10-year-old collie mix, 54 lbs., diagnosed June 2012. 11.5 units Novolin N twice a day. Tested with Relion Prime and AlphaTrak2. Eats Hills WD.

Comment

Working...
                                X