Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed: Affric (Finfair Loch Affric), gordon setter, 6 y. male
    Dog's weight: norm 32 kg (70 lb); lost 6 kg when first diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago, but now he is in his normal weight again.
    Diet: Specific CRD 2x 1 cup and Specific CRW canned food 2x ½
    Insulin: caninsulin
    Number of units per injection and injections per day: 12 units twice a day
    Brand of BG meter if home testing: Accu Chek Performa

We live in Estonia. My dog Affric was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago, when I took him to our vet because he was drinking too much. A few days later Affric was diagnosed with ketoacidosis as well and spent 10 days in very severe condition under IV drip. We didn't have much hope, but he has recovered by now and at home. His blood sugar varies from time to time and we are trying to find the best solution. We are still learning to live with diabetes, and I have found lots of useful instructions in this forum.

Comment

Ronak aka Shkoony aka Count Fuzzula
      American Eskimo, miniature, male
      24 pounds (from 28 pre-diagnosis)
      Steak, Stella & Chewy freeze-dried beef patties, Old Dog Company diabetic cookies, squash, rye bread, Royal Canin MP Modified kibble, Science Diet Gourmet Beef canned
      Humulin N NPH, not yet regulated dosage (varies from 1.5 to 6 units twice a day as of now)
      Alpha Trak 2
      Diagnosed June 2015
      Proud mom to Ronak, miniature American Eskimo in NYC born in 2006. Weighs 24 pounds (28 pre-diagnosis). Diagnosed mid-June 2015. Hypothyroid, herniated discs in back, allergic to vaccines, takes Soloxine, Theophylline, and salmon oil. Ronak is a happy boy and his greatest loves are his toys (and me).

Comment

Kind of already posted this in my first post but for records sake here goes:

Patsy Ann- Miniature Schnauzer Diagnosed 2/28/2015.
        Weight: 17- 19 lbs
        Diet: Royal Canin Low Fat Gastro Dry
        plus home cooked ( Ground Turkey, Brown Rice,and Mixed Veggies)
        {have to add the home cooked to get her to eat}
        Insulin- Novolin N 7 1/2 units
        Alpha Trak2 meter- just started doing spot checks
        hope to build up to a curve in the next week.
        Patsy Mini Schnauzer 18 lbs, 8 years old, diagnosed 03/2015. Uses Novolin N 7 1/2 units twice daily. Eats Royal Canin Low Fat dry combined with home cooking . Eats 3 tmes a day. Also takes Denamarin and Vitamin E

Comment

Midnight
          19 pound rat terrier
          Diagnosed with diabetes 5/2/14

Give her 4 1/2 units twice daily of Vetsulin
          Food: Hills W/D Divide the can into quarters...does best on 3 Q each meal with about 1/4 cup of brown rice and a 1/4 cup some meat...steak, chicken, pork tenderloin,even fish. Sometimes add green beans but this looks like makes her want to eat grass the next day.

One vet said I can give her a mid meal and a late meal without the insulin as the insulin is still working. Can't decide if that mid meal without more insulin is a good idea or not as it does cause her blood glucose to rise but at least she is not getting glucose rebound.

Now partially blind with cataracts. Am trying to decide if I should put her thru the gruel of a cataract surgery as she is an intense little dog that hates the vet....

Comment

Revision to previous post- She is on 9 units twice a day of Novolin-N
            food is still Royal Canin Low Fat Gastro twice a day with Chicken chopped up as a topper
            Currently weights 18lbs.
            Using Alpha Trak2
            Patsy Mini Schnauzer 18 lbs, 8 years old, diagnosed 03/2015. Uses Novolin N 7 1/2 units twice daily. Eats Royal Canin Low Fat dry combined with home cooking . Eats 3 tmes a day. Also takes Denamarin and Vitamin E

Comment

Yoyo (chi mix)
              22 pounds before diagnosis, lost to 12.6
              One touch ultra translated by vet
              Once she got sick she would not eat dog food
              Fed chicken, fish, beef, pork, she would eat some wild rice and a few vegetables.
              Her lowest reading on her curve was a little over 400.
              Vetsulin started at 2 units twice a day gradually up to 8 units twice a day.
              9am and 9pm.
              Passed to the rainbow bridge 9/25/2015

Comment

Yoyo (chi mix) 14 years
                22 pounds before diagnosis, lost to 12.6
                One touch ultra translated by vet
                Once she got sick she would not eat dog food
                Fed chicken, fish, beef, pork, she would eat some wild rice and a few vegetables.
                Her lowest reading on her curve was a little over 400.
                Vetsulin started at 2 units twice a day gradually up to 8 units twice a day.
                9am and 9pm.
                Passed to the rainbow bridge 9/25/2015

Comment

Chilibear diagnosed 6-4-2015 Weight:86 pounds W/D diet with boiled chicken or turkey and diabetes treats Just purchased Relion home glucose meter but have not started using yet.

Comment

Tink - Border Collie - 28kg - Age 12 yrs - diagnosed September currently 2 x 12 units each day of Caninsulin 12 hrs apart.
                    Struggling to lower count. It rises by lunch time as high as 24. A worry - but we will continue as long as we are able to maintain her lifestyle and as long as her quality of life is good. She lost a lot of weight to begin with vet happy with increase. She is a large collie, not of a dainty build. She also has Metacam daily.
                    Last edited by Josiegibby; 11-23-2015, 08:04 AM. Reason: missed words

Comment

ANGUS :- West Highland White Terrier D.O.B :-17/04/2006
                      DIAGNOSED :- 20/03/2015.
                      FOOD :- Burns Weight Control+ with 50 mg of Forthglade complimentary
                      wet food. Twice daily.
                      INSULIN :- On Caninsulin at currently 9 units. Twice daily with Vetpen.
                      METER :- Alphatrack 2 using their own strips
                      WEIGHT :- 10.65Kg
                      Last edited by tonyr; 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM. Reason: added weight

Comment

Cari- 12 yr old Cairn Terrier, 10.4 lbs, 6u Novolin N once a day with morning meal (currently converting to a lower dose twice a day with meals).
                        2/3 cup Pure Balance Salmon at 10a and 10p, two tsp. canned pumpkin, frozen green beans, 1 tsp. lean meat a.m.
                        AlphatrakII
                        Last edited by mygirl; 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM.
                        Cari the Cairn. 12 years old, weighing in at 10.4 lbs. 3U of Novolin N twice a day at meal time. Feed 1/3 c. Pure Balance Lamb and Brown Rice + 1 tsp pure pumpkin and 1 tblsp lean meat twice daily. Frozen green beans as treats for taking her bg's and insulin. She is my spunky little girl.

Comment

Hi All,
                          We are brand new to this site.
                          Our 11 year old male pug Brady was diagnosed just before Christmas 2015.

He is a big boned, tall pug who currently weigh 32 lbs (was 37 lbs at his highest................ too much we knew)
                          Currently he is eating Hill's Science WD dry food (glucose management) with a little boiled chicken breast added. (we are struggling with the food issue, because he is used to eating frequently throughout the day)

He is taking Vetsulin .6 two times per day.

We don't have a meter yet.

2/18/16 update
                          Beebee was just diagnosed with Diabetes too!
                          she receives 2 units of vetsulin 2x day.
                          Food is: enzymediane 1/16 t. incubated in food for 30-60 mins.
                          Food RC id canned, Natural Balance ltd Sweet Potato /Chicken dry and HM Chicken Breast sprinkle on top. approx., 3/4 to 1 cup.

I am realizing just how ignorant I am about how to treat this condition.

Our female pug Beebee was just diagnosed with EPI - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and I am a wreck trying to meet her needs as well as Brady's. She has to eat 4 meals a day with enzymes to regain her weight.

I know I will learn a lot of very vital information on this site.
                          Thanks!
                          Laurel
                          Last edited by laurelpatrice; 03-21-2016, 09:36 AM. Reason: 2nd dog DX and now Brady is changed to Novolin 8 units 2 x per day. I wanted to post a question about how to find a curve

Comment

Breed-Jack Russell X
                            Name- Milo
                            Diagnosed one year ago, on 8 units twice daily, feeding him Chappie[wet] with Chappie [dry] Currently using Alphatrak 2.

Comment

Kirby is a Schnoodle and is 8 1/2 years old. He was diagnosed in Dec of 2015.

He currently weighs 21 pounds. His lowest weight was 17 pounds and highest was 31 pounds.

He eats Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight 2/3 cup twice a day. He gets boiled chicken, frozen green beans and pieces of a rice cake as treats. The vet recommended the rice cakes as he acts like he is starving most of the time. They have one ingredient - whole grain brown rice and are salt free.

He has been getting 5 units of Novolin N twice a day but we're increasing to 6 units twice a day tomorrow (Please wish us luck.)

I use the Alpha Trak 2 glucose meter. I started with the ReliOn meter but I was having a very hard time. The Apha Trak gives me more time and you can insert the strip more than once. There are also two spots to try and get blood on each strip. Even though the ReliOn strips are much cheaper I was throwing many of them away because of failed attempts.

Comment

Mugs is a 10 or 11 year old chihuahua now weighing 17 lbs after a 5 lb weight loss

Using Science Diet I/D Low fat dry

7 units of Humulin N 2X a day which I plan to switch to Novolin when
                                this vial is gone.

Bought the ReliOn Prime glucose meter bus so far have
                                been unable to use it on Mugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X