This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

From Dr. Mark Peterson's excellent endocrinology blog for veterinarians, he weighs on on how long a vial of NPH can be used and whether it should be refrigerated.

Re: Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

well i just started using a new vial the old one i got and started using dec 1st 2011 with no loss of potency that i could tell with 3 pokes a day

the reason i kept it so long is because the numbers were so good and then they started to get a bit wacky got a new bottle still wacky so who knows i could have gone longer i guess .
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, but think I'll stay with six weeks for NPH. My current usage would be about 2/3 of a vial and think that might be good. I worry about my rolling / mixing technique with "cloudy" insulin like NPH.

I do remember when we were using Vetsulin, and tried to suck every drop out of the vial in a month due to the higher cost. I would wonder if the last injection was the same as the first due to mixing.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
      X