Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold Found in Natural Balance Canned Foods

http://itchmoforums.com/your-problem...d-t8439.0.html

The original poster discovered mold in cans of Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea for Cats. Others found it too in this flavor.

http://itchmoforums.com/your-problem...3797#msg123797

Someone else found it in Venison & Sweet Potato for dogs.

At the time of the 2007 pet food recalls, the company was using American Nutrition to produce their canned foods. It developed that Natural Balance said their formula did not call for rice protein concentrate and stated that American Nutrition had been adding it to their formulas without permission. Natural Balance indicated that they didn't care to continue doing business with American Nutrition because of the addition of the rice protein concentrate which turned out to be contaminated with melamine and cyanuric acid.

No information on whether Natural Balance is still using American Nutrition for their canned foods or if they turned to someone else to produce them.

According to someone who spoke with Natural Balance about this issue, they are still using American Nutrition for their canned foods.
    Last edited by We Hope; 06-06-2009, 12:36 PM. Reason: updating NB co-packer

Re: Mold Found in Natural Balance Canned Foods

Uh oh, better check into this further. This is Autumn's brand.

I had another brand that I opened up and shocked to find greenish mold all throughout it. It was so gross and huge disappointment. I was angry.

I cannot understand why these companies cannot make dog food without soooooo many problems!
    Last edited by Autumn; 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Anna,

When you see something you shouldn't, I'd contact your local Consumer Complaint Coordinator at FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaPro...rs/default.htm

Would try to save any food that looks bad in a safe place so you don't accidentally grab it as there have been instances where FDA has asked people to send the food to them for testing.

The problem with the laws we currently have is that FDA is not able to issue a recall of someone else's food product unless it's baby formula. This is the only food product they have the legal authority to overstep the manufacturer(s) of and issue an FDA recall for.

There are emergency provisions for FDA's issuing a milk recall, but only if the state or states in question where the tainted product is refuse to exercise their right to do it. Any recalls you see listed for food or medicine wind up being issued by the people who make them.

The last information from the thread above is that at this point, NB doesn't know what the black spots seen are. NB has not seen it in their retained samples nor have they been able to find even one can with a black spot after opening various cases of product. They say they are investigating further.

Kathy

Comment

Thank you. I bookmarked this link. Hopefully, I'll never need it. It's also good to check the recall list on a regular basis.
        Last edited by Autumn; 06-09-2009, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Great news. After NB, testing of the black spot, it was concluded not to be mold but rather a portion of the pea that had been oxidized during processing. This makes me feel better and I'm sure anyone else who uses Natural Balance.
          Anna

Comment

Working...
          X