How the Hank Turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hank

Glad to see he is improving every day !! It's being home with his mum!
    Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thanks all! I AM still so glad to have him home! He slept a lot today but it was rainy and he only got one walk in so with me being droopy myself, I'm sure that made him droopy too. Back to our usual routine tomorrow.

He's still eating! Albeit not on a reg schedule which freaks me out but he did get some low 100's today. He's back up to 400's tho so this is going to have to stop. I'm checking ketones like a madwoman so at least that's ok. I figure at this point, it's probably more important to baby his pancreas than it is to regulate him. He's got an appointment with Dr. M on Friday for a followup so we'll talk then. He'll be finished with his Baytril and Amox by then as well. I'm sure we'll both be glad when that is finished.

He's such a good boy tho...takes his pills with no trouble...blood testing with no trouble...what a trooper! I got lucky!

Hugs!!!!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Good boy Hank - 100's are good, despite the 400's. Maybe with the ending of the antibiotics he will see less 400's as well. Love that he is such a sweetheart with everything - one unconditional boy you have there Shellie! Think he may have stolen my heart as well - lol!
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Holli..then we're even cause I adore Decker!

Yep...will have to have a GOOD talk with the vet...Hank registered over the meter earlier! I have to think it might have also been due to the end of the insulin bottle. He was on his fifth week with it so it is time. I just spent $84 on this bottle of hum N! I'm sorry...but Hank will be switching over to Novolin next month! I dosed him a bit ago so will see where we are....oh...I could do that before I even finish this email! LOL BRB! Ok...well, he's dropping...down to 564 in an hour. I'll check him one more time before bed. *sigh* Wish I could fix this! But he's still recovering so I'm sure it will be awhile. He's still on the meds...baytril and amox too...it's probably all combining to make him utterly unstable. Poor little guy!

He did do very well on his walks today! More pep in his step every day! Yay! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hi Shellie

Glad to hear that Hank is improving a little every day but the high numbers are a worry for you. It's really difficult with pancreatitis having to give them small amounts of food on a regular basis and the meds also throw the numbers off. Hang on in there you are such a fantastic mum to Hank and your other babies! You will get him through this.
            Can't believe the. Price of the insulin - Caninsulin is approx 40$ which lasts - well is meant to - last a month.

Hope you get some rest with all those furry bodies!
            Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Thanks, Anne-marie! I am trying to sleep that way but the first few weeks of the colder weather are always a bit of an adjustment for me. I love having them...and they are excellent at keeping me warm...but the limited movement is tough. I swear a small dog is harder to move in bed than a big one! And last night, Hank decided he was going to sleep in the MIDDLE. I'm pretty sure he nailed himself to the bed cause I could not get him to move. lol So the cats and I slept on the left side! LOL What I do for my babies!

Comment

Loving that Hank is taking over the bed and claiming his space!

Shellie and the cats , hes a special boy and isnt it great to have him to cuddle and snuggle up with. So glad Hanks home where he belongs
                Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hi Shellie

I'm so happy to hear that Hank is doing so well. Don't you love it when you can't roll over because you have 4 inches of bed before you'd fall out?!?
                  Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.

Comment

Love the snuggles Shellie Haha...nailed to the bed.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

"Autumn....the time of year when Canadian Geese migrate south and dogs migrate from ceramic tile to king size beds with fluffy blankets....."
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Yep...nailed! Less than twenty pounds of IMMOVABLE dog. It's probably a very similar effect to the one where cat's feet weigh five hundred pounds and are like pointed stakes when traveling over a human body in bed. I'm thinking we have variable gravity fields I'm not aware of in my bed. (should I even call it MY bed?)

Hugs!

Comment

What I love is when my husband wakes me up in the middle of the night to move all 20# of Ruby. Probably comes from deap seated fear created from whenever she would spew her dinner if we ever moved her at night before the megae was discovered. Still can't believe that took us so long and that I was the one who figured it out with the help of another forum...but I digress.
                          Lately if I have to test Ruby in the middle of the night I switch beds with my son so I don't wake up Jim. Then me, Ruby and 80# Maggie are squeezed on a twin bed, and I am a lot of pillows person. It must be hard to see me in the middle of all that. I love it though because in the winter when no one acknowledges that Maggie is cuddling is the only time she will do it.

Ruby curled up by my front, Maggie curled up by my knees. Love it! My version of the Ying and Yang symbol.

Tara
                          Tara in honor of Ruby.
                          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Casey always slept in bed, we had queen sized. We'd put a pillôw at the bottom hoping she'd stay there,but nope. If Joey touched her or even moved during the night, she'd growl at him. For some strange reason he was scared if her (she could be a b****) even though she never bit anyône. It was all night long. She took up the whole bed! She didn't like to be bothered when she slept but was the best, sweetest little girl.

So, so glad hank is better. He can sleep wherever he wants. gees, you'd think you'd have the courtesy to give him he whole bed and sleep elsewhere, but I'm sure he'd be there too, lol.
                            I'm Debbie and Nibbles is a 16yo beagle mix ~ Diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with Diabetes and Cushings ~ Currently at 11 units Humulin N ~ Eating Wellness canned food.

Comment

So glad that Hank has his 'pep in his step' again...YAY....nice to know he is progressing each day.

I think this time of year for us cooler weather folks has all the dogs heading to the bed and 'their' space...Shadow has been asking to get up on the bed at night (my bed is way high, I even have a little step stool to get in it), so he needs a lift...LOL...and he lets me know when he wants 'up'. He tends to camp out also, usually right where I would like to stretch my legs out to, but I just go on either side of him

Comment

Hank, spoiled? nah! lol

glad he is feeling better Shellie!
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X