Newly diagnosed, our beloved Buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newly diagnosed, our beloved Buddy

I am reading this letter and shocked. I can't believe that she wrote this!!!! Sounds to me that she is a jerk. I wonder if you could send the letter to the vet board?I don't think she deserves a written reply. I would do it in person. Be respectful yet firm. It would make you feel better. I am sure. Tell her that you wanted to work as a team and that you don't understand why she doesn't want to include you. She should welcome your questions no matter where you got the info.
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Wow! Does this make my English/Welsh/Polish/Russian blood boil! What really blows my mind is that the vet put it in writing. Can't take back what you put in writing!!!!!

Leaving that practice is a blessing and I hope you quickly find someone you can trust and communicate with regarding the care of your precious babies.

Lyn

Comment

Hi Karen,

Reading you last post, I believe you are doing it the right way. Take the high road and write a nice response letter.

As far as spreading the word, you might be surprised to learn that if she does, the other vets might actually think less of her and more of you. She would probably do herself more harm than good. Once she recieves you response letter, she will probably and may already be regretting writing that sarcastic letter.

YOU GO GIRL!!!

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Just reading your thread....It's obvious that your former vet is more interested in her own ego than in finding the right treatment for your dog! In a way she did you a favor
          by revealing her character flaw early in your cushings "jounney". Now you have a chance to find someone who is compassionate and has your dog's best interest at heart rather than her own ego!
          Hang in there!! There are plenty of caring and wonderful practitioners out there!

with best wishes...
          Dorothy and Mikey

Comment

My guess is that the rest of the vets in town already have her number if she's been around any time at all. Probably you're not the first client she's fired. I agree that her firing you might actually raise their opinion of you!

In a smaller town, she's going to run out of clients quickly at this rate...

Good luck... and I say make them cough up those records tomorrow!! After all they have put you through, it's the least they can do to preserve any shred of professionalism!!

Natalie

Comment

OMG...I am just trying to catch up and I think my BP must have gone off the charts!! I would looooove to let her know that not only does my vet listen to me, he also listens to the advice I have received right here, AND he also, when stumps will post on a vet board only to post questions to ask other vets on the INTERNET and he'll talk to the lab techs...anyone who may be able to help. On top of that, he is very educated, much experienced and most of all compassionate. I am sooooo sorry you had to deal with this! It is complete bull!

I am also sorry you must deal with depression on top of all of this. If it helps, I have bouts of it myself, can suffer through panic attacks and ongoing anxiety...and if I got through the past 18 months of my life without falling completely apart, we will get you through this too! This is the best place on earth for support. My friends and family are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but the people here truly understand the ups and downs like no one else can...and stick by you no matter what. I don't know how they have tolerated me this long...

And yes, "crazy" is just so much better in so many respects any day as Leslie mentioned Life would be too boring!

So hang in there and I am sending lots of hugs and warm supportive thoughts to you and the hopes you can find a vet with a heart!!!

Beth, Bailey and always Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by Kakesie View Post
                But I am thinking my best move would be to bite my tongue, take the high road and write her a nice letter, thanking her for what she has done for my dogs, and apologizing for offending her. Then I'll put her letter to me and my response to her in with my dogs' records for the new vets to see. Hopefully they will be able to see that she was being unreasonable and that I met her rude response with only kindness back.
                Hi Karen,

I think that's a great idea to write her a letter...but, I would only thank her for what she's done if you truely believe she has done some good. If it were me, and if I could bite my tounge after receiving a letter like this, I would focus on why you did the research...saying something like,

"I'm so sorry you felt insulted by my internet research...I never had any intention of making you feel scrutinized...I believe it is impossible for any vet/human to be an expert on everything, no matter how wonderful of a vet they are (I would gag at this point if I wrote this to her) - it's for this reason that I do the research...to focus on the specific issues that ails my pups, because I understand that vets have many patients with a great variety of different ailments and one cannot expect them to keep abreast of every new test, technique, protocol, etc. for every kind of diease...I am trying to do the legwork by finding out if there are any recent developments and weeding out unreliable information before presenting them for discussion with the vet...the research is also for my understanding so that I can better understand what a vet is trying to explain to me and so that I can make better informed decisions for my pups..."

Okay...I was rambling. But I think this could be a good tool to explain where you're coming from to the prospective vets also.

Best of luck!! Keep us posted!

-Susy

Comment

Hi Karen,

I've been away for a week and am just catching up and wow, was your thread an eye opener. When I read your vet's condescending and very narcissistic letter, I could only shake my head in disdain. Her level of insulting cowardess is unparalleled.

Successful treatment of cushing's is much easier facilitated when an educated pet owner and a cushing's savvy vet work as a team. Your ex vet just did you an incredible favor as Buddy and Daisy deserve a lot better than someone that places her own ego above their welfare. I mean think about it....how incredibly cruel and unethical to abandon two patients with very serious conditions because their owner was trying to understand these diseases and made the mistake of asking questions. Unbelievable!

Your vet took an oath when she became a vet. I'd like to share the last two paragraphs of that oath because you now have written proof that she not only broke her vows, she torched them.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

Originally posted by Kakesie View Post
                  Karen,

I think you are extremely fortunate to have time to spend in internet chat rooms all day. It's so nice that a professional starts a letter with a glaring inference that you are an idle slug with nothing but time on your hands. Unfortunately I do not. My days are filled with providing the highest quality care for hundreds of patients, all of which I am equally dedicated to, This is almost laughable considering she abandoned the care of two patients that probably have more serious diseases than 95% of her practice and all because their owner cares about educating herself about these diseases. although a great deal of information available on the internet may be accurate, much more of it is no more than idle dribble. The correct word is drivel and well duh, I guess since you do nothing but spend your days in chat rooms, you are too stupid to know the difference between reference material and case studies authored/conducted by experts in their field (endocrinology) and the drivel put out there by laymen. I am confident that the care you have received from this practice has been exceptional, This is highly questionable given the fact that the practice left two patients twisting in the wind, one who went without a refill because they chose to stall until the letter arrived because they were too cowardly to drop the bomb in person. all the while respectfully working hard to remain within your financial constraints.* Respectfully? Now that's rich.

I have no idea how other veterinarians respond to clients doing their own internet research.Both my gp vet and IM think it's great that I took the time to educate myself and I can't imagine either one being so condescending and unprofessional. They are both very learned and experienced in treating cushing’s so perhaps that’s the difference. I for one feel extremely insulted every time my research is reviewed and critiqued by on-line, uneducated laypersons, who have absolutely no idea the amount of time and diligence involved with the on-going educational process required to achieve the level of excellence in patient care that veterinarians strive for. How terribly presumptuous and totally arrogant. If more vets skulked around dedicated forums, they could learn a thing or two not to mention availing themselves of more case studies than they’ll ever see in their lifetime.

At this time, I feel that perhaps you should consult with your colleagues in the support group regarding another appropriate veterinary care facility to meet your needs. It’s ironic that this extremely sarcastic remark is actually excellent advice. Please let us know where we may forward your records, and to which pharmacy we may forward Dolly's prescriptions. You should also let them know where to send the response to the complaint you will be filing.

Sincerely,
                  (her name)

Honestly, Karen, if I received a letter like this, I would file a formal complaint with the state board governing veterinary practices in my state. If you are so inclined and I sincerely hope you are, here’s a link to the Nebraska Board of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery with contact information:

http://www.aavsb.org/DLR/DLRDetails.aspx?id=41

Glynda

Comment

Karen,

Was thinking of you last night wondering how you are doing at finding a new vet. Keep us posted as we worry you know!!!

Kim

Comment

Wow...I just read thru the thread and saw the letter from the vet....I think I'd pick up the phone and blast that vet.....but, better yet, find a new vet. And, make sure to put a "review" of your old vet on yahoo, yellow pages, and any other site where people might find a link to her.

That letter is beyond obnoxious and just speaks to the insecurity of the vet...while some of her initial comments on Cushings are not 100% wrong, there are in fact other points of view on treatment. I would not make my dog addisonian and treat w/pred, but I have read that some European vets take this approach.

And, lots of information from vets around the world can be found on the Internet...guess your vet does not turn on her PC. It's not all crackpot stuff.

My view is that your vet (any vet) should be willing to discuss treatment options..particularly in a complex case like Cushings...I wound up going to a new practice as I was not 100% satisfied w/my regular vet (after seeing 3 vets there and getting 3 different opinions)..I'd been going to this vet for 30yrs (albeit different docs over time) and was comfortable with the practice.

While the 2nd practice I visited had the technology to do some more advanced tests (ultrasound, for instance), I found the vets there rather rude and insistent, and unwilling to discuss treatment options (they were a "lysodren" only place, and when I brought up Trilo, among other things, they were taken aback). Needless to say, I did not go back there. I took my new test info, went back to my original practice and had a long talk with my usual vet. He was very open to discussion and treatment options. Happily, my Aussie has been on Anipryl now since Sept'08, plus several supplements and is doing very well. We are going to get an ACTH test in June along w/the Atypical Cushings screen done by U of TN....my vet said "no problem" in sending the samples down there for the test. [I know the ACTH is not all that useful when treating w/Anipryl, but I want to see what the cortisol levels are running AND make sure I'm not dealing w/Atyical as well as "regular" cushings...which I've been suspecting for some time now]

Comment

Hi Karen,

Just popping in to see how you and Buddy are doing today. Hope things are calmer now.

Hugs,
                        Leslie and the girls
                        "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
                        and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

Hi Karen

Probably life is keeping you busy but I am a worrier and want to hear how you and Buddy are doing. Sending my best wishes - hope to hear from you. If you are still in need of a vet please let me know. Who knows, maybe my vet knows someone in your town. Hang in there and keep the faith. We are here for you.

Kim

Comment

Karen,

My cousin lives in Hastings and her daughter lives in Kearney -- both have dogs and cats. I would be happy to ask about their vet recommendations. I know one of their dogs had a serious medical condition so they might have some good input.

You can PM me if you wish.

Carol, Winnie (always), McGill & Atty Cat

Comment

Hi Karen,

I've been waiting for an update...

-Susy

Comment

Working...
                              X