X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nike and Kenai

Originally posted by ventilate View Post
    Thanks Beth;
    It was almost the land of GianT this am; It must be something in the air, I read your post about dog bite season. Demon spawn, yes it is back to DS had a temporary lapse in judgement but he claims it was temporary insanity but I give him and Nike a kong with frozen peanut butter and cookies and a marrow bone with cream cheeze and a cookie frozen in it to keep them busy for a while when I work. So he had his and as I walked by him to leave for work at 0530 he lost his stinken mind and he growled at me. Well Ceasar learned me good I tossed my stuff down on the floor. I got on my hands and knees and grabbed his neck in that dog bite thing he does and leaned over him, and switched hands and kept the dog bite thing going on his neck and switched hands and kept the dog bite thing going and going and going finally after 15 minutes ( it never takes Ceasar that long) I had to leave for work and my hands were cramping, every time I would loosen my dog bite grip thing he would do a little growl so after 15 minutes i slightly loosened it and he didnt growl so I took that as success and let him up. At times like this I wish he was a yorkie. We are going to have a real come to Jesus meeting on Monday when i am not working and can take how long it takes to get him to relax, and give it up. He goes though this about 3 or 4 times a year where he forgets he is not the the King and we do this. I can take food out of his mouth, I can put my hand in his food dish when he is eating and he eats around it and will give me anything he has in his mouth if I ask for it, It just seems like when he is on his bed with his treats and I am leaving for work he gets very possessive of his toys/treats. I am not scared of him when he does that, but I do keep my face back when I am doing things like that. If he thinks I am scared I will never get control of him again, he is 115 lbs and I would be in big trouble then. We usually go through this he and I come to an understanding and all is good for the next few months.
    So at work today the doc ordered an MRI on a patient and I told him the pt would to tolerate the MRI vent we have ( it is an antiquated piece of crap) as his vent setting were to high for the vent to handle. He said sounds like you will have to manually ventilate him. ( which for those of you who do not know is like the dog bite thing, 14 times in a minute for about an hr or more) oh yea sounds like a party to me. Good thing he was just bugging me. I am wondering if Nike isnt addisons. Her legs will get weak, I give her pred for a few days, 2.5 or 5 mg per day for 3 or 4 days then she is good for a week or 10 day and then it happens again, but it hasnt been really nice and warm yet so maybe its the cool, damp weather. She is eating great and drinking a bit more too so dont know. I know the only way to know is stim, I am planning on it the end of May first part of June.
    For those of you that dont know, I am treating Nike with the Sharon protocol. I, like Beth, am treating her symptoms. I am treating her for comfort now as she is 12 and a half years old Giant breed and has already outlived her expectancy. For the past year and half I have been giving her lysodren when she looks to me like her levels are getting higher per water uptake, eating, legs weak just that I know her best stuff. It has worked great for us. Her labs have been great her Alk/Phos has been normal for the last year and half, she grabbed the foot wiping, beard wiping rag off the floor this am and had Kenai tugging with her so obviously is feeling good.
    Sorry for the book
    Hugs to all from me and mine and demon spawn ( good thing I love him or his hide would be on my wall instead of on his back)
    S,N and K
    OMG I can so relate!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has been my reality! Once we took a patient to CT scan and the patients sheet got stuck in the table mechanism that moves the table out of the machine. He was a biiig guy and not anywhere near where we could maneuver him back into the bed. It took us an hour to get him out! I thought my hand would break from bagging! Oooh the cramps! Even switching hands! ROFL!!!!!

PS.... I have little dog fantasies all the time, but there is nothing like a huge dog in your lap giving you kisses.

Comment

Hi Sharon - I guess it's strength in numbers - I too have been treating Angel by her symptoms since November like you and Beth are doing. Sometimes we just know better! Take care - Joyce & the girlz - Pebbles & Angel

Comment

I want to explain the reason I am treating Nike this way is because she is a very geriatric Giant Schnauzer 12 and a half years old and when she had her ultrasound her innerds were all in great shape so if her cortisol does run a bit higher I dont believe she will live long enough for it to do the damage that higher cortisol can do. We, my vet and I, have switched from treating her theraputically to treating her symptomatically for her comfort, not for mine. If her cortisol level has to be higher to keep her comfortable than so be it. I know in my head she will not live forever, although my heart hopes she will be the miricle dog the one in a million that she has proven her self to be and live for 20 years so I want her time left with me to be comfortable and pain free. And so far we have seemd to achieve that as she sure cant be hurting at 0500 when she brings me her toy to play with or chases a rabbit across the yard. That is not to say I will not get her stimed in June, and treat the numbers, cautiously so as not to upset the apple cart.
        I just wanted to clarify why we are treating this way, I do not want new people to think this is a good way to treat cushings. We are over 3 year survivors of Cushings and I have learned way more than I ever wanted to about this condition and know my dog very well. When my dog was younger we went by the protocol, both in treatment and in the testing to keep her levels within the desired theraputic range, and if I ever have another dog with cushings I will follow the tried and proven protocols as it has gotten Nike and me this far

Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by ventilate View Post
          although my heart hopes she will be the miricle dog the one in a million that she has proven her self to be and live for 20 years
          We're hoping with you!

Geez, I was only hoping for 18years for Wylie.
          (I had met someone who said she had a Malamute that lived to 18.)

-Susy

Comment

Thanks, Sharon...bc I worry about that too! These are cases of do as I say and not as I do. I also treat Bailey by symptoms bc he has other issues I am trying to keep controlled. Being almost 10, he is considered geriatric as a basset. And until I felt I had a better handle on him than anyone including my vet, I would never ever have done it this way. But I would never ever recommend someone play with the protocol. It is the way it is for VERY GOOD reasons.

As for the being 20, I have faith! I think HRH is definitely up to the challenge!!! How many times has she surprised us before???

Love ya! Beth and you know the gang

Comment

Hi - I posted the following in Angel's thread and need to post here as well that I did not mean to be so flip about the tweaking of the dosing and treating by visual symptoms. I too have been treating Angel for over 2.5 years and have a good relationship with my vet and have tried to read up on everything and see how it all affects my dog. I do not recommend or suggest that anyone do what I am doing! So please forgive me if I sounded too flippant or loosy-goosy about it all! OK...?

Take care - Joyce & the girrlz - Pebbles & Angel (&we3dogs@Bridge: ED, Zee! & Concho)

Comment

Joyce. I didnt take what you wrote as flippant or loosy-goosy at all. Those that know us from the CC site know what we have been doing and why and how we are doing it, But I thought that there are new people here that can not look back through our threads and see what has gone on so I just wanted to clarify why I, we, were treating the way we are and that it is sort of but not quite following the protocols but we have reasons for doing it that way.That we are not normal
                S
                Last edited by ventilate; 04-23-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

oops I ment we are not the norm. or in my case and Beths ( I know her well enough to say this) a little bit of both.
                  S

Comment

oops havent double posted in forever sorry
                    S
                    Last edited by ventilate; 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM. Reason: double posted

Comment

Naaahhh...I'd stick with the not normal! !!!

Comment

wanted to post an update for Nike and Kenai; Yes its Kenai again. He growled at me when he was laying on MY bed and I tried to get in MY bed and I guess it desturbed his royal ass, so I did the Cesar thing again, not in anger but was assertive, hung on for about 10 minutes then he really did relax and I let him go and he stayed there for another couple minutes. He growled at me the when I went to cut his nails and had to pull his foot out from under him, I layed him down again, we came to an understanding, he wont growl at me anymore and I will let him live....He has been good ever since even around his treats when I leave for work so I guess it worked. He is doing great medically no issues. Nike is doing great as well, going to get her stimed in June which is coming up very quickly, to quickly. Got the Paw Pads on her hope they stay on, had to cut the hair around her pads as I think she was slipping on her hair. They were pretty sticky so time will tell, not sure how they will stay on in rain, seems like they are working so far. Still giving her some pred every now and then.
                        My lull is over, have 2 more presentations to do, a poster, and an abstract to do by summer... it was nice while it lasted.
                        So all continues well in the house of Giants
                        Sharon, Nike and Kenai
                        Last edited by ventilate; 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Glad to hear the giants are doing well

Sorry about the work thing

I once groomed a Giant that had skin problems. Used a prescription shampoo provided by the owner. He was a gentle giant but kicked my ass. Only because he was sooooo big and my tub and bathtub were small. Wanted to sit when I needed him to stand and wanted to stand when I needed him to sit. But I loved him, he was great and I would probably do him again

John (Roxee's Dad)

PS: Still waiting on our adhesive pads

Comment

Hey Shar...GOOD NEWS!!! GREAT NEWS!!! (That's a smiley for each of you!!!!) I know work is crazy busy, but I am so glad that the house is NOT! Does this mean they each get a new octopus???

Love ya! Beth and all

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Good to hear from you as always!

Apparently, the Demon Spawn forgets who he is dealing with from time to time!

I am glad your kids are doing ok. They are so beautiful and you take such wonderful care of them.

Good luck with your presentations, posters, etc. I know you will blow them away as always!

Hugs,
                              Leslie and the girls
                              "May you know that absence is full of tender presence
                              and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." Anne, a Corgi mom

Comment

John;
                                well the pads are still on Nikes feet even after going out in the rain last night and this AM. They seem to work as long as they are placed in the right place on the pads, probably not an issue with smaller dogs. Nike seems to slide a bit but then grips. I think they are working, just want to see how long they will stay on for. I used to groom Nike when she was younger I went through 2 or 3 clippers, burn them out with her coat and my inexperience so now just take them to groomers to do what they do best, and it is worth every penny to me. they look so beautiful when they are groomed with their coats the way they are suppose to be.
                                Beth;
                                I have been looking for the octopus, they ordered more so yes octopus for the house.
                                Leslie Yes Kenai does tend to forget who feeds him, and I am not afraid to let him know I am the King. He knows now but I know he will forget again in a couple more months.
                                hugs to you and yours from me and mine
                                Sharon

Comment

Working...
                                X