Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are annual vaccinations safe for dogs with diabetes and cushings

Hi everyone,
    I have a dilemma. My husband stated our 3 dogs are overdue for all their annual vaccinations. I haven't vaccinated because Toto our 12 year terrier mix has cushings and diabetes and is blind. She takes trilostane and insulin 2x a day and diclofenac for her eyes. She is doing fine. I do occasional BG spot checks. She is happy and loves to take walks on a leash. My husband says she is being exposed to so much when we take her out. I am fearful of these vaccines. Are my fears unfounded?

Re: are annual vaccinations safe for dogs with diabetes and cushings

Hi: we've all gone back and forth on this. My dog is only around her brother and around dogs at the groomers every 6 weeks. My vet let me skip her vaccinations the first year she was diagnosed.

We did give her the kennel cough vaccine due to the grooming situation and he used the nasal spray for the first time. The nasal spray GAVE her kennel cough. Learn from my mistake, no nasal spray!

Some people have their vet titer the blood to see if the rabies vaccine is still strong and the vet in some states can legally sign off if that is the case.

Last fall, after Jenny had gone an entire year unvaccinated we went on a road trip of 1600 miles round trip. I went ahead and had all her vaccines and she was fine, no side effects.

It is a really personal choice. I know Cushings dogs are more susceptible to infections and over on the cushings forum I've seen people caution against taking dogs to doggy parks. But if Toto is loving her walks, I'm with you. She needs to be a dog and love her life!

Judi

here is a link to a thread that talked about it a little more: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...hlight=vaccine
    Last edited by Judi; 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM.
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi Margie,

I have the Vet run a titer test on Abby. A titer test is to determine if they have any antibodies from the vaccination that they normally give. If positive, we are overvaccinating if the vaccination is given again (in my opinion).

I never did this type of test until Abby was diagnosed. I would faithfully get her vaccination shots every year. This year I had her titered, and she was positive, so no vaccinations for her.

Rabies is another story, as this is controlled by the state in which you live. In our state, Rabies vaccinations are mandatory every three years. This year she will get the vaccination.

I believe some states will allow the vet to give you a waiver, if your pup has a very compromised immune system.

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

The veterinarian schools are now teaching that after puppy shots and the first adult booster, dogs should only be vaccinated for parvo and lepto every three years. It is hard to get the word out to vets because the vaccine companies schedule cocktail parties during the hour that AVA seminar on vaccines is scheduled at vet conferences. (Not kidding.)

I ask my vet to do blood titer checks for parvo and lepto and in seven years I have not had to revaccinate. Some researchers said they found good titer results after only one adult booster in 12 year old dogs.

Rabies is more of a legal problem than a health problem. There hasn't been a case of canine rabies that was acquired in this country in years. (A dog was brought here from Africa that got sick.)

Comment

I am probably late on this reply. No, you do not need to re-vaccinate your dog every year. There are a lot of research done and a lot of articles written by DVMs that annual vaccination booster is simply a market trick and a main source of revenue for vet's office. Yes, vaccin companies like a lot of other product companies do throw parties for vets. Every 3 year a booster would be more than enough.

Vaccination is alert immune system. Quite logically, if you keep alert the system, the system might actually lose it's sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X