Omg gizzie is diabetic help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omg gizzie is diabetic help needed

It started on Wednesday last week, both my husband forget to fill up gizzies waterbowel. She drunk a lot of water from puddles and of course I checked her water bowel and found it empty on my return home. She ate as normal and didnt think anything of it.

She ate quite late Thursday her wet and dry food and drunks lot of water, cat was in so she eats all her dinner lol. She got up in the night and had a drink of water and also got us up at 4 in the morning for a wee. I noticed the amount of water she was drinking and also the amount of wees. I stopped the dry food and kept an eye on her and the water drinking reduced, but still weeing more.

I took her to the vets this morning just to make sure she was ok, got a week sample from her. She is a parsons jack russell cross and is on the tall side and weights 13kgs the last time she went to the vets. Today she was 12.8 kgs and has sugar in her urine and the vets said this was diabetes.She has also had a blood test ketone and we will get results on Tuesday. Gizzie is full of beans, loves her ball and walks. She isnt over weight and she is spoilt. Yes up until now had ice cream, curries, kebabs and a little of our food. She has been done and is 8 years old.

Can the vet be wrong? I will do anything for her and havent got a problem with injections etc. Please give me your best advise

Re: Omg gizzie is diabetic help needed

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to read about Gizzie.

It does sound like diabetes: increased water drinking, increased urination and weight loss. What blood glucose reading did he have at the vet clinic?

What is the current plan? Are you starting insulin treatment? If the vet diagnosed diabetes, you should get started as soon as possible. It won't get better on its own, only injected insulin will likely help him.

If/when you start insulin, tell us the brand of insulin and the initial dosage. Keep in mind the vet will likely start at a low conservative dosage and will evaluate after a week or so. More than likely the excess drinking will end with insulin, but additional monitoring/insulin increases will be needed.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

First you need to know, you have found an awesome forum! Vinny and I found this forum just after he was diagnosed four years ago. The people here are awesome and have walked the same path you are about to embark on. Gizzie is lucky to have you in her corner.

The best advise I would have is to trust your instincts. Listen to your vet, but do your homework. I was told more than once that I was the most informed patients mom by my vet. You know Gizzie better than anyone. Trust yourself.

This forum has so much to read. I've read things over and over again. Ask questions when you don't understand something and keep asking until you do. Your vet works for you. The people here live this every day. You will find someone that can help.

Our lives changed once we found out about Vinny diagnosis. It became more structured and for a family that has always been spontaneous, it hasn't always been easy. You will find your way.

Welcome to you and Gizzie!
      Mel and her Monster Vinny
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Once you have Gizzie on insulin, most people on this forum home test blood glucose. I can't stress enough how important home testing was for me.

The members on her are great and you've come to the right place!
        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
          Once you have Gizzie on insulin, most people on this forum home test blood glucose. I can't stress enough how important home testing was for me.

The members on her are great and you've come to the right place!
          I will echo that. My vet was inexperienced with diabetes, so she suggested the urine strips at first. Didn't even mention home monitoring for blood. Those strips hardly told me anything useful. After two incidents of hypoglycemia and coming here, I bought an Alphatrak. Yes it is expensive, but it is the best way. After that, she got low a few times; but I was able to catch it by seeing signs, testing her blood, and giving her some honey. Much better than the pricey emergency vet visits I had the other two times.

They still aren't "cheap" but IMO the test strips have never been less expensive than they have been on Amazon recently.

Comment

Working...
          X