Just diagnosed on Saturday/downhill slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just diagnosed on Saturday/downhill slide

13 year old corgi mix. Started drinking a lot within the past 3 weeks and peeing puddles. We were thinking it had something to do with us just putting down our 16 year old Chihuahua but decided a trip to the vet was in order.

Blood work shows diabetes. Since then he has gone down hill. Will not eat anything. tried chicken, beef, cheese (which he loves) Nothing. Vet told us to blend food and force feed since he needs to get the insulin going.

Just hoping things will turn around.

Re: Just diagnosed on Saturday/downhill slide

Hi and welcome

depending how early you caught it may determine how they may respond .

my jesse ended up having other complications attributed to the diabetes so she was sick for quite sometime

if blood sugar is high or low spikes or drops can affect how they feel . adding a foreign substance like injected insulin is not an easy task for the body to balance in short order .

so many variables. if home testing you could determine if blood sugar is the culprit or maybe something else is occuring on top of diabetes

pancreatitis seems to be a complication or a cause of the disease and appetite problems is one of the symptoms but there are many reasons a dog wont eat and mostly they dont feel good

i am one not to force feed a whole meal to get a full shot of insulin . normally you can give a quarter of the normal dose if no food is consumed but i prefer home testing when making adjustments to insulin .

many do start out the same way and in time when the new reality takes hold and regulation is acquired they come back to there normal selves with maybe some limitations

some can take a couple months while other can take 6 months or longer . most eventually get to a good place . regulation can be quite different for a dogs individual situation so you can use the textbook to start but you maybe reading a different story when you have figured what your pup needs
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

you can turn this around. are you giving any insulin?
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Yes, just started it on Monday. Now he has bloody stool. Contacting vet this morning.

Comment

Sounds like pancreatitis. While some vets have advocated force feeding, my vet has always said to let the pancreas rest to heal. They can put your dog on fluids and pain meds to combat it. They also have medicines to ease vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea.

Keep us posted.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Has the vet checked for ketoacidosis? How high is his blood sugar?

If he has ketoacidosis, he needs emergency in-hospital treatment with fluids and insulin.

Natalie

Comment

My Petey is in the hospital. He is dehydrated, his liver is inflamed, his pancreas is inflamed. He is on fluids, pain meds etc. The expense is so high but we felt we had to give him a chance. Hopefully he will stabilize and we can get him home.

Comment

My parents had a similar experience when their toy poodle was diagnosed with diabetes. Mya had ketoacidosis, pancreatitis and she has a grade IV heart murmur. When first diagnosed, she spent the entire weekend at the emergency clinic. The vet was not optimistic about Mya's prospects and my parents spent all weekend debating what to do. Somehow they just knew it wasn't time and they stuck with the treatment. Mya is still with them a year and a half later. She is 14 and she still has some health issues but overall she is a very happy dog.

Every situation is different and you know your dog best. I think you just need to go with your gut. Whatever you decide, it will be the best decision for Petey.

Comment

I know things seem bleak now - we were in the same boat with Maggie early on, but she was able to recover and after a while, she was bouncy and happy again. Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you guys! Keep us posted.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you everyone. He is responding well to the treatment. Issue now is trying to get him to eat. He ate a little last night and this morning. Still in the Emergency Hospital and since my vet does not have anyone there on the weekend, it does not look like we can transfer him to the regular vet. At this point the cost is what it is going to be. I have committed to his getting well.

Comment

glad to hear there is improvement
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.
                      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                      X